Show your custom Lightsabers!

I finally got around to finishing up this saber. It's made up of a vintage flashlight, Canon Y, vintage gear, clamps from a Heiland/King Sol, 1.5" Tube, and a hard drive. It's all connected and sitting on a threaded rod.

View attachment 720558

View attachment 720550
View attachment 720553

P.S. I feel like a 70 year old asking this, but can anyone tell me how to make my pictures show up larger like some of the other posts?

I like the new build, very cool.

To make the pics bigger:
Go into edit mode of your post
Click the pic
From the menu that pops up, select the size you want.

easy peasy

Thanks for the mention AnubisGuard . I'm slowly gathering parts to build something different but so far apart from some FX conversions I've just played about with some Aerial masting and etching to create a few custom sabers. One day I'll try to build something new that might be worthy of posting in this thread!

Actually..... now you've given me confidence to post some pics of a couple of my earlier sabers, mostly plain and simple:
14812530419_e3a03eb555_c.jpg
DSCF5124
14812459400_0271d93f30_c.jpg
DSCF5136
33885399846_20c1b1bb41_c.jpg
Untitled

Attachments

• 14812530419_e3a03eb555_c.jpg
    14812530419_e3a03eb555_c.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 33885399846_20c1b1bb41_c.jpg
    33885399846_20c1b1bb41_c.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 174
  • 14812459400_0271d93f30_c.jpg
    14812459400_0271d93f30_c.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 200
Last edited by a moderator:
Dat gear tho

RIGHT!?!?!

Hey MattBud ! Two things: seriously, WHERE'S THAT GRIP GEAR FROM?

And two, the reason your images are showing up small is because you "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" (i.e. they're saved here at TheRPF and are being shown off of the server)

The other larger images you see are being shown from the URL they originate from (i.e. Photobucket) and are not stored here on TheRPF.

You're seeing your images show up as thumbnails because the server here at TheRPF is trying to save bandwidth by not displaying the large image everytime someone opens a thread, and only using the extra bandwidth to display the larger image when someone specifically clicks on the thumbnail wanting to see the larger image.

And maybe what Panaflex said too, I haven't tried that.

Ah okay. I appreciate the help! I tried the photo bucket thing and didn't have any luck either but I'll give it another shot next time. As for the gear, I got it from EBay. I searched Vintage Gear, Industrial Gear, Industrial Cog, etc... Ones that are that size are hard to find but every once and a while some good ones show up. SethS found a really good one and it's on a saber he posted recently, which looks great.

And here's that gear. below!

Yesterday was refresh day, fixed up all the little details on my customs that I had grown to hate...

First-- my photo swapmeet special. While I enjoyed the minitripod body, it was a little too narrow, and in retrospect, the emitter end was a little too plain. So I added some t-track and threw on the MPP 2.0 shroud I wasn't doing anything with. Now it has a little more body/

refreshA_1.jpg

refreshA_2.jpg

Next... man I loved/hated this thing. There was magic in that vintage gear fit perfectly into an off-spec Obi-Wan pommel. I used roman's space with a peak clamp and was still happy... but that TCSS body and emitter... ehhhh... Even the Canon Y shroud couldn't help it. The more I looked at it the more I passionately hated it. I kept the lower half and just waited-- having the idea that maybe I could find other not-quite-right Obi-Wan parts. That started to be a thing when I found a resin MK 1 grenade on ebay-- similar body, but different pin section. I trimmed it down, threaded it to the rod I already had holding the lower half together.

I was hoping for some random jet engine parts to land in my lap for am emitter, but that was wishful thinking. Instead, I got kinda clever I think. I had a bunch of Canon surplus parts from a lot. Using tripod adapters that are threaded for the mount usually on the bottom of flash guns I built a thin-neck style top. The "wheel" area is basically two Canon endcaps threaded together, the texture tape hides the bayonet style holes. The Canon slave makes the upper emitter area, a Y bulb socket for the emitter itself, and topped off by a gray stubby Heiland shroud.

refreshB_1.jpg
refreshB_2.jpg

Next-- as inspired by @poopaPoppaPalps, a Kalart flash. Initially I was happy with its snub end and pictured it as a small assassin saber... but all those o-rings felt to hardware to me... and I started to really not love it, especially with how cool Poopa's is.

This refresh might be my favorite. I love it now... Once again using the neck section designed by @AnubisGuard with a couple of hard drive rings on it, a stripped Heiland shroud (both provided by Anubis), I added to the bottom with a section of a Luke knock-off saber V2 lower half. Little tape, shapeways grip, and an endcap from yet another tripod mount piece and Im sold.

refreshC_1.jpg
refreshC_2.jpg

Turns out I've decided to refresh all my Canon sabers... This one got a minor change. The stubby shroud started to look like something was missing-- so I added on the Y shroud/guard that I pulled off the saber above, and built a new emitter. I also replaced the thumbscrew.

refreshD_1.jpg
refreshD_2.jpg

This Canon X was one I loved upon completion, but just didn't hold up to where my abilities are a year later. The lower half was always a little sketchy as a plastic flash extension. It just seemed really iffy and janky. I stripped it down, added an actual lower Canon body, and ditched the TCSS emitter end for a custom one I cobbled together from an Argus, a Leitz and some hard drive parts (again, thanks Anubis!)

All Canons have an inner battery case, which was perfect to set some screws into to attach the emitter section into place.

I tried some lower profile t-tracks I think are off an Anakin FX saber.. but they are rubbery and maybe too sloppy looking. What I'd LOVE is some metal aluminum t-track. Once I get that I'll replace the grips.

refreshE_1.jpg
refreshE_2.jpg

Finally, my first Canon Y. This was "my version of Anakin's first saber." One detail people got hung up on was the bulbous clamp band at the top. I wanted to give it a little blocky-ness on the head, to sort of call to the Graflex which I saw this as a progenitor too... also it covered a lot of holes.

I recently got a weird Heiland clamp I hadn't seen before. It was most certainly blocky, so I put it on instead. I am guessing people will love or hate it. For now I love it, but I could change my mind, obviously...

refreshF_1.jpg

refreshF_2.jpg

It's a regular ol' repro strip that I painted the underside of with a transparent paint. It's a tayima model paint-- I've tried their transparent red and blue too, but they just don't work as well as the yellow did.

Hey SethS ! That's one thin-necked lightsaber ya made there! That POMMEL though! And that hexagonal body/clamp! WOW! on both!! Super lovin' the nod to Obi-Wan's emitter in that hexagonal one too!

There's a little bit of significance to this one: back when I was a teenager, I had a roleplay Jedi character that I was never able to design a satisfactory lightsaber for. I'd always had this idea that his weapons and tools should be more "junkyard," with leather wraps and scraps of metal and such, but the idea never went anywhere. Once I finished this build, I said "Eureka!" and recognized it as the design I never managed to develop back when it would have done me some good.

Anyway.

The core of this build came together surprisingly fast. I was messing around with a string of random parts one night and realized they fit and-to-end in a pleasing way. The body, top to bottom, is a Graflex slave minus the ears, two screen door slider wheels, the knurled end from a Canon Model X endcap, an inverted Canon Model Y, a stainless steel champagne stopper, and a faucet handwheel from TrueValue Hardware.

IMG_0071.JPGIMG_0068.JPGIMG_0065.JPG
IMG_0074.JPGIMG_0067.JPGIMG_0062.JPG

The handwheel's diameter was an exact match for that of the original core of the champagne stopper, so I drilled out the rivets holding the flanges on the core, then drilled holes in the handwheel and attached the flanges to it with pop rivets. The space inside the stopper was filled with the front end of an aluminum flashlight, and the whole assembly was riveted to the Canon flash.

IMG_0058.JPGIMG_0069.JPGIMG_0070.JPG

The top end of the saber is held together with an 8-32 threaded rod. The spare Canon endcap was cut down to just below the bayonet lock and it was sandwiched between the two screen door wheels, then threaded into the bottom of the slave and the endcap of the Canon Y.

IMG_0060.JPG

The emitter is the bulb holder and reflector collar off the Y. The knob and backplate on the slave were parts off a Canon Model X's accessories. The whole thing is held together with a series of screws and a little bit of glue.

IMG_0057.JPGIMG_0034.JPG

I cut down a Novus 820-style bubble strip to fit the Canon clamp, covered the clamp writing with embossed lure tape, and finally the handle was wrapped in leather cord from Jo-Anns Fabrics.

IMG_0073.JPGIMG_0072.JPG

I'm really happy with how this one came out. The basic assembly came together fast and I didn't have to do much second-guessing about the overall design. That's usually a sign of a good idea.

And a little preview of the next build....

Preview_Saber_2.jpg

oh wow, that last one is beautiful AnubisGuard! Amazing work to all of you guys, it's really inspiring, thanks to you, I couldn't help but to start 6 sabers of my own... I guess I'll be posting pictures soon :)

Here is the latest saber where I was able to use that big & heavy industrial gear.

Emitter: Sanitary pipe weld & partially dismantled hard drive. Connected using an adhesive.
Neck: This is a vintage industrial gear I got from EBay with a Heiland clamp on the bottom of it. I took off the bulky portion of the clamp and replaced it with a Roman's transitory screw.

These three sections were affixed to each other using a threaded rod:

Activation Button Section: This is the top of an Abbey flashgun.
Smaller Gear: This is an old engine crankshaft gear.
Pommel: This is a Heiland end battery cap.

182ab100-7ceb-4428-a9d9-9c4a4d113e66_zpsxung1kny.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_3141_zpsyjbfslei.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
b20b58af-8589-4e85-a6be-c2a0f4e26eaa_zpsyj6qtijn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
80f39476-d222-435f-89e9-d1f6afb63336_zpshmiyqfyq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Here is the latest saber where I was able to use that big & heavy industrial gear.

URL]

URL]

URL]

URL]

this is wicked! i love the upper part of the hilt, do they all that part the choke? the part under the emitter
and on the left side of the last picture. is that scratch made?

this is wicked! i love the upper part of the hilt, do they all that part the choke? the part under the emitter
and on the left side of the last picture. is that scratch made?

Thanks! Here's the list of parts used that should answer your questions:

Emitter: Sanitary pipe weld & partially dismantled hard drive. Connected using an adhesive.
Neck: This is a vintage industrial gear I got from EBay with a Heiland clamp on the bottom of it. I took off the bulky portion of the clamp and replaced it with a Roman's transitory screw.

These three sections were affixed to each other using a threaded rod:

Activation Button Section: This is the top of an Abbey flashgun.
Smaller Gear: This is an old engine crankshaft gear.
Pommel: This is a Heiland end battery cap.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back