Best toys of the 70's

that water and air powered rocket. there was a see through red plastic rocket that resembled a saturn type rocket as well.
that toy, evil knievel bike, and the old bag of dried peas, a straw and a target with a bald headed dude on it win in my opinion (they discontinued the pea shooter kit early eighties probably for obvious reasons).
vintage-wonder-target-peas-pea-shooter-game-toy-nos-antique-green-straw-5ec335c9a3ed0b5a25fbca71.jpg
my mistake. no face target. just target.

Last edited:
I loved Stretch, but I had a strange urge as a kid to open up or take things apart, and Stretch made a hell of a mess with that thick corn syrup like stuff inside him. What a shame, wish I still had him.
Been a long time since this thread made a presence and I felt today was the perfect day to bump it. :lol

I picked up one of the re-released Stretch Armstrong toys for $20.00 with a coupon from Toys R Us. This is so cool. It is very close to the original, minus the shorts and a slight paint difference on the head, but a repaint and this would be perfect. If you are like me and have longed to pick up an original but couldn't stomach the high price tag, then this option might be right up your alley. I will display this proudly in my office.

View attachment 677421

This was one of my favorites! Played with this darned thing for hours and hours!! Then in the late 90s they reissued them. I found one and bought it. Me and my drunk buddies had hours of fun! It was easier to operate it as a kid than as a drunken adult!!:lol
rescuevertibird.jpg

I loved Stretch, but I had a strange urge as a kid to open up or take things apart, and Stretch made a hell of a mess with that thick corn syrup like stuff inside him. What a shame, wish I still had him.
Me too. I recall cutting mine on the arm with scissors and watched it ooze out. :lol
My mother ended up fixing it with a band-aid. This new one is just awesome. I keep playing with it and for the $20 price, if it breaks I can buy another one. I cannot get over how close to the originals these re-releases are. It transports me right back to childhood.

My bigwheel was a handme down so it was already in bad shape but i remember the tassels on the handle bars and i remember that worm thing too. I actually remember getting one of those water powered rockets with the pump at niagra falls in the 80s. Alot of these toys kept going until about 1984 then you didn't see them anymore. I still remember hitting the hand brake on the big wheel and tipping over to many a bloody knee. I probably still have gravel in there after more than 30 years lol.

I don't know if this was one of the "best", but I liked them. And I didn't have these in the 70's, my mom bought them from a Kay Bee toys in the early 80's, so they might have been leftover stock? Anyway, my brother and I played with these for hours. Our came with the smaller men.

76-02.jpg

What about the Adventure People? I loved this stuff. I took that helicopter and cut the tail end and the rotor blades off, and pretended it was Luke Skywalker's skyhopper. And after I got tired of throwing the parachute guy off the roof of the house, I took the chute off and pretended it was Dr Octopus!
FPadve146.jpg
il_fullxfull_428695970_n6nk.jpg

Attachments

• 70b359f949c91089f67ca177de5f081e.jpg
    70b359f949c91089f67ca177de5f081e.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 92
I had some of those, but they would have been in the early 80s. One was a jeep with a folding tent. Then I had the space shuttle that had buttons that made noises. That was a big deal because it was one of the first toys that had realistic noises, not just buzzing and beeping like the SW vehicles.

I had all the Fisher Price toys here. Lots of fun.

Mobile Action Command has a sore spot for me because I always wanted the mountain headquarters, but never saw it in a store. With no internet that was that. [emoji23]

Last edited:
those were from Matchbox I believe. I had the Emergency unit and the Fire unit. Great toys.

I don't know if this was one of the "best", but I liked them. And I didn't have these in the 70's, my mom bought them from a Kay Bee toys in the early 80's, so they might have been leftover stock? Anyway, my brother and I played with these for hours. Our came with the smaller men.

View attachment 681176

It is always good to check the shelves in Wal Mart, dollar stores and what have you. There was an interest playset ship I have. Also some nice smaller ones:
https://www.amazon.com/Pack-144-Space-Ships-Assortment/dp/B004N6V4KC
http://mentalfloss.com/article/31875/12-toys-1980s-didnt-take

Some toys are short runs--and you never see them again.

BTW---There are Star Wars ship replicas in Big Lots. One is an X-wing fighter.
http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=19039

It looks very similar to the snap together (original)
http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...plat_19746650&eESource=CAPLA_DF:49889806:TRUS

The nose is actually longer--and--believe it or not--the detail is better.

On the other hand, the Falcon kit is better than the Big Lots toy.

as a kid i wanted lego. we couldnt afford it so only got one small set for my birthday.

catching up now in looking for the old leo technic sets.

I had that Little People parking garage! I totally forgot about that. I also had this one:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/43/ff/15/43ff15a9dcb86ad236a5977db35e3886.jpg

I got a lot of my Little people as hand me downs by the late 80s but i had a farm and boat set with a chopper that floated. Apparently there's a demand for them still as we sold mine years ago at a flea market and the folks were happy as can be to find them. That was the odd thing about being born at the end of the 70s, we got the great 70s toys with some wear and tear on them and went right into the 80s toys that didn't really change much.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back