Captain America - Avengers: Age of Ultron Costume (UPDATED - FINISHED PICS ON PAGE 3)

callmemilo

Sr Member
This is going to be a slow build but wanted to try sharing some progress with you guys.

IMG_7786.JPGIMG_7521.JPG
I've decided I'm going to try to tackle the "Age of Ultron" Captain America suit, and I'm going to spend my time in this thread breaking it down and showing how I'm piecing my replica suit together. First thing I've noticed is that the helmet and chest star look like they're recycled from Cap's TWS stealth suit, so I'm going to try to tackle those first.

cap_aoultron_cheststar.png
This is the chest star I modelled in Softimage. It's a nice hi-res file, so should come out nicely once 3d printed. I know there are some already out there, but the scale of those I've seen would look inaccurate to me. Stars I've used in the past have measured 14cm at the widest point, so that's what I'm going to aim for. I figure I might cast this is black tinted resin, then hit it with some "Rub and Buff" to simulate that metallic sheen.

I may try 3d modelling the helmet myself too, just because. :p Alternatively I might take an "Avengers" helmet, fill in the wing indents, and add layers of detail using self-adhesive vinyl, as a good budget option.

Last edited:
Re: Captain America - Avengers 2: Age of Ultron Costume (slow build)

Started work on the 3D helmet model today. It's still very rough, as I'm mostly just making sure all the dimensions work correctly, but it's starting to take shape! :D
ScreenHunter_01 May. 08 00.43.jpg

Captain America helmet modelling continues! Getting those hard edges and details in there now. Still have to dig out some good reference photos for the back of the helmet to get the full dome finished.
cap_aoultron_helmet_3.png

Last edited:

I think the 3d model is almost finished. I'll need to verify the accuracy of the sculpt against any other reference pics I can find, then add the texture to the necessary sections (probably using Zbrush), and then this thing will be ready to print! Thought I'd throw a low-res generic head under there, to give you guys an idea of how it's going to look when worn.
cap_aoultron_helmet_7a.pngcap_aoultron_helmet_7b.png

Wow, looks really good!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm actually working on a Cap helmet myself. Would you mind posting some reference photos of the back? Any help is appreciated

Wow, looks really good!

I'm actually working on a Cap helmet myself. Would you mind posting some reference photos of the back? Any help is appreciated

Thanks, dude. Here's a quick pic of some of the fabric's I've got together for my suit. Navy blue herringbone, maroon and navy stretch jersey, and some chocolate brown faux suede. Not pictured are the leatherette's I've got, but you all know what leatherette looks like. :p
10345997_10152369757946698_2148546030259906194_n.jpg

As for the back of the helmet, there's not a huge amount of reference out there, from what I've seen, but there's a really nice licensed statuette I found some pics of (I think it's from Sideshow or Kotobukiya). Luckily the back doesn't seem to have nearly as much going on as the front. There's some nice detail on the top of the helmet too.

There's also an app that gives you a 3d rendering of Cap if you hold it up to one of the Winter Soldier posters. Apparently you can pan around it and explore the figure in detail, though not sure how far around the back of the helmet you can go before it cuts out.

Awesome modeling! I was thinking about tackling the same project using cordura. Why did you select the cloth you did, just out of curiosity? Still giving thought to it myself.

Awesome modeling! I was thinking about tackling the same project using cordura. Why did you select the cloth you did, just out of curiosity? Still giving thought to it myself.

Well the things it came down to were colour, stretch, and finish. The herringbone doesn't stretch at all but it won't need to where it's used, and the texture of it is gorgeous. :)

I was thinking the exact same thing the other night! I've been waiting to see whether people were beginning work on Cap's AOU costume.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread! :D

Will you split it for printing? If so will you had some hidden overlaps on the underside to lap the edges together when glueing them together or just glue the edges? Looking very impressive so far!

How did I miss this thread?!?! Just the motivation I need to get started on mine. :thumbsup

Very nice! Subscribed and looking forward to more. :)

You guys may have noticed the metal chest star, well I bought that on eBay, and although it's a few mm undersized IMO, I think you'll agree it looks pretty sweet on the suit so far.
image.jpg

And since I'll be saving funds for my flight to Dragoncon this year I decided to order one of Maulfett's helmets instead of 3d printing my own. Again, very impressive work. Can't wait to try mine on for the first time! (Sorry for borrowing his pics for the sake of this thread)
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back