Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

damn, just caved in a got myself one... I quit smoking a few months ago and what I'm saving on cigarettes is more than enough to cover the expense. I figure I'm due for a treat... now to just hurry up and wait for the damn thing...

Great job Stinson,....looking forward to see what you do with a physical Falcon

J

How are you guys going about painting this?
Paint it by sections or build the whole kit then paint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How are you guys going about painting this?
Paint it by sections or build the whole kit then paint?

Was wondering about the same thing. If you fully assemble it first, you might not be able to paint inside the maintenance pits completely. Also it will be more difficult to paint behind the piping. There are some areas where painting first would help, I think.

I’ve built the entire structure and am now going through the painstaking task of masking off individual panels and painting them.

Attachments

• FEFC0075-DB67-4175-BD57-AB81D784D60C.jpeg
    FEFC0075-DB67-4175-BD57-AB81D784D60C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 197

Was wondering about the same thing. If you fully assemble it first, you might not be able to paint inside the maintenance pits completely. Also it will be more difficult to paint behind the piping. There are some areas where painting first would help, I think.
The one thing to keep in mind is that if you paint ahead of time, you have to be very careful where you get paint. These things fit together very tightly and you don't want to get any pain on anything that need to seat together.

The great thing about this model is that the plastic is close enough to the base coat so if you don't get it all in the nooks, it doesn't really matter

When I paint ahead of time, I usually mask off the underside or at least the snap parts, or even loosely snap fit just enough to keep the parts from getting painted that have those tight tolerances

I've been painting some of the sub-assemblies, like the maintenance pits, to make sure paint gets in those difficult to reach areas. I avoid or mask off areas where I don't want paint to make sure parts fit together or if I want to use capillary action to get some liquid cement in there.

I plan to get the model 90% assembled before giving it an all over base coat. My reference photos of the 5-footer show lighter paint areas indicating the miniature was either mostly or completely finished before getting a grime overspray, weathering and detail painting. I'm trying to follow their formula. The only areas I'm leaving unassembled are the colored sections of the engine flaps where there the actuators lay on top of the colored panels. Otherwise, all detail painting and weathering will happen after it's almost fully assembled.

Tell me about it. I was told by Canada Post that it was in fact sitting there for pick up.....and now it's not

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
What the fork......I got my notification that it was ready for pickup.

Then I got there and the rudest clerk ever said that she was too busy to serve me until 3pm. This was at 2:35.

This woman was rude to me yesterday. And she's rude to me today.

I have had it with canada post.

Then I got there and the rudest clerk ever said that she was too busy to serve me until 3pm. This was at 2:35.

The Falcon gods hate you!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I just pre-painted my maintenance pits Tamiya xf-63 German grey (a very dark grey) last night prior to assembly.

With an airbrush I can reach into those bays and get about 98% coverage with the off-white top coat. I'll actually do a little less to get some shading effect (aka, pre-shading). I like using that effect here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The Falcon gods hate you!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I'm normally very cooperative with service staff. But I'm definitely calling in a complaint.

And in the meantime, I made a b-line to the pub.

Liquid lunch time....

I assembled mine before painting. I didn't really note any issues getting paint where I wanted it to go.
I didn't attach the completed cockpit tube assembly, though, or the gun turrets. I'm painting them separately and will attach them to the hull at the end.

Congratulations on quitting smoking Stinson!

While you're waiting, you could produce a true elevation of your cockpit rear wall panel so we can get a much better quality decal made to upgrade the kit!

Sent you an email and PM about it already.

Cheers,

Chris

damn, just caved in a got myself one... I quit smoking a few months ago and what I'm saving on cigarettes is more than enough to cover the expense. I figure I'm due for a treat... now to just hurry up and wait for the damn thing...

$66 customs fee!!!
But it's mine.
Clear my afternoon!!!!

Sweet! One piece (not assembled but all intact) and unharmed, right? Let us know what you think about the kit!

- - - Updated - - -

I assembled mine before painting. I didn't really note any issues getting paint where I wanted it to go.
I didn't attach the completed cockpit tube assembly, though, or the gun turrets. I'm painting them separately and will attach them to the hull at the end.

Good to know, superjedi, thanks! Will do the same : )

It's not just Canada post

I had a few issues with my local US Post Office mostly when the sender request a delivery confirmation (i.e. I have to sign for it). IN a couple cases I actually had packages returned to the sender as undeliverable when in fact they never even attempted delivery!

In one case I was able to catch them before it got sent back. Tracking would tell me it was attempted delivery but returned to the PO since nobody was there to sign for it, but yet I would have no notice on my door ( and I was home all day)

I would go to the post office asking where it was at, they would tell me they don't have it, or that Amazon's tracking was wrong or etc...

a few days would go by with the same status of attempted delivery and the same story and the guy would get all annoyed at me for asking him to do his job and check for it

Finally I noticed a box on the shelf at the post office that had Japanese writing and said that looks about the size of the package I was expecting and it was from Japan as well

So I asked told him that is probably my package, He grudingly checks it and of course lo and behold, it is mine and had been sitting on that shelf all week and was about to be returned to sender in the next couple days :facepalm

I suspect the delivery guy just didn't feel like dealing with it

The Post Office is manned/womanned by personnel who are just marking time until payday. For the most part they are not helpful. I know a person who is a Post Master, and she says it is unbelievable what her employees do. Like dumping bulk mail into dumpsters on their route, and not attempting delivery if a package is heavy. She tells me there is nothing she can do to get them to comply with rules, and they mis-sort mail and put outgoing packages in the wrong bins all the time, etc. etc. etc. You can only imagine what Christmas will be like with this sort of work ethic!

So $363 is a pretty good deal/price for this kit right?

Also are the decals that come with it water slides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back