Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

b8stAna.jpg

Wow, this thing's just begging to be greeblied :)

Hey got a question for you guys. I'm still confused about the base color. I was intending to not paint it but because of the photoetch which would be the same hull color it will be difficult to blend in so I guess I can't really go that route. Also, I just read the Archive-X thread where the base color is mentioned as white so I tested a few drops of Floquil Reefer White and I'm not sure if my bottle has gone bad but it's like a cream (yellowish) color -- is this what we're after?

XuZVncW.jpg

My camera shows the yellow shade poorly. It's not white white but more like bone white -- if that's the right description. But it is yellowish and is different from the Bandai plastic hue. It reminds me more of the old Kenner toy. Would this be the right base color? And do Floquil bottles go bad color-wise over time?

Your photo is a little odd because the bare plastic looks bluish gray on my screen while the Reefer White looks closer to the look of Bandai's plastic (at least on my kit). I'm using the Polly Scale Reefer White acrylic and it's an exact match to Bandai's plastic -- so close the only way I know it's there is by angling the piece to the light to see where the paint is duller. My Reefer White is more of a bone white, as you describe. Maybe a hit of cream, but not yellow. It's very neutral. I'll see if I can run a comparison with Floquil Reefer White from a rattle can and see how they compare.

The owner of Hobbyworld USA said on a Facebook group last night that he's expecting a shipment of Bandai PG Falcons and will be selling them for $299. He doesn't expect his supply to come in for another couple of weeks, though.

I asked this question in the Bandai release schedule thread but didn't nobody give me no answer, so I'll ask here. Anyone know more about this? Been a few weeks with nothing apparently on the website.
Thanks,
Mike Todd

I asked this question in the Bandai release schedule thread but didn't nobody give me no answer, so I'll ask here. Anyone know more about this? Been a few weeks with nothing apparently on the website.
Thanks,
Mike Todd
They have four Bandai Star Wars kits on the site at 25% discount, $299 for the Falcon would be in line with that discount. Nothing about the Falcon yet on the site though.

Your photo is a little odd because the bare plastic looks bluish gray on my screen while the Reefer White looks closer to the look of Bandai's plastic (at least on my kit). I'm using the Polly Scale Reefer White acrylic and it's an exact match to Bandai's plastic -- so close the only way I know it's there is by angling the piece to the light to see where the paint is duller. My Reefer White is more of a bone white, as you describe. Maybe a hit of cream, but not yellow. It's very neutral. I'll see if I can run a comparison with Floquil Reefer White from a rattle can and see how they compare.

To my eyes there is a hint of tan/yellowishness, to a lot of the reference photo's I've seen. I don't know if this is aging paint, a trick of the light or how its supposed to be. I thought It was floquil reefer white that was used for the 5-fter. I heard it was from a rattle can though.

Yay, my Archive X paints arrived from Guy today. He shipped them November 11th, so that's pretty quick considering a) I live in Northeast US and because they are enamel paints b) probably came across the pond via submarine.

In any event, he wrapped each jar individually with a ton of bubble wrap, then wrapped all of the jars in even more bubble wrap, so everything is intact. Not cheap paints, but highly recommend his service, at least. Hope to use them soon. :D

(and yah, that's the back end of the FM Falcon on right side of photo and nose of Hobby Boss A-10 on left)

IMG_0017.jpg

Exactly why I got them--not cheap, but eliminates need to obsess over the correct base color.

Which....frees my mind to obsess over everything else. :lol

(modeling is fun modeling is fun modeling is fun modeling is fun)

I shouldn't have said "worry-free" painting. The biggest worry is the price : ) My kid is complaining I never buy him anything. How can I, there's so much more important stuff to prioritize -- my kits, my aftermarket parts, my paints. There's hardly any money left, heheh. I'm laughing but really I'm guilt-ridden :(

I shouldn't have said "worry-free" painting. The biggest worry is the price : ) My kid is complaining I never buy him anything. How can I, there's so much more important stuff to prioritize -- my kits, my aftermarket parts, my paints. There's hardly any money left, heheh. I'm laughing but really I'm guilt-ridden :(
How much is that set anyway?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

For the 7 he has there...roughly $112.
Ouch...really? I can see that for a much larger model, but not for one this big. Other than the base coat, there's very little paint needed

I think I'll just mix my own Tamiya paints. The as-20 is a good enough base coat and the rest of them are pretty easy.

Ouch...really? I can see that for a much larger model, but not for one this big. Other than the base coat, there's very little paint needed

I think I'll just mix my own Tamiya paints. The as-20 is a good enough base coat and the rest of them are pretty easy.

The Archive-X paints are definitely worth it for those who obsesses over perfect authenticity. I may spring for them on my Bandai PG Falcon, especially if he comes out with acrylic versions.

I got the full legacy set of 25+4 colors. I pretty much only do Star Wars models so it made perfect sense to me. Not only does each bottle stretch way farther than acrylic equivalent, they're THE Star Wars colors. Can't wait to use them when I get around to this beast.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm seriously considering it. Those photos Jaitea posted of Simmons' work are just amazing -- it looks incredibly like the ILM studio model. I highly doubt mine will look like that -- DaVinci's brush won't paint the same in my hands, heheh. Still, this will end my quest for the perfect colors. I need to understand which colors to get, though -- I still find the chart confusing. I'll probably get the same set as Attirex's for starters.

That's how i roll!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

How are you guys approaching the decals on this? And I'm referring to all the little ones not the panels. I painted a base coat on mine with AS-20 and am in the process of painting the panels. I haven't done a ton of decals in the past but I'm aware of the fact that they adhere to glossy surfaces much better and I use the decal application liquids. So would you guys say it's a good idea to spray my falcon with an acrylic glossy coat first, apply the decals, then seal them in with a matte coat? What is the approach that you guys plan on using?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back