Solo: A Star Wars Story

For what it’s worth, I think the best way to watch this film is without trying to tie Arlen to Harrison but instead look at it as an origin story for a familiar character and see how it works. Then make the performance comparisons and critique that separately. It very well be a fun film but may not land for everyone as a Han Solo film.

I think the number is around 30% percent. 30% of the brain is visual cortex. That is where "seeing is believing" comes from. Trying to lie to your eyes is a lot harder than to lie to touch and hearing. "Just ignore a huge part of your brain" isn't a great tagline.

Doing the math based on past data... I have a 43.75 percent chance I will like this film.
Far better chance than successfully navigating an asteroid field certainly.

Ron posted a picture of “post production” work in progress.

Attachments

• CF71E255-2462-4CF8-8F7F-E8CDBE84E175.jpeg
    CF71E255-2462-4CF8-8F7F-E8CDBE84E175.jpeg
    608.8 KB · Views: 127
It's almost Friday, let's get weird. To the theme of The Beverly Hillbillies:

Oh, listen to my story 'bout a man named Han,
a lowly smuggler but still a mighty proud man,
Then one day, he took his speeder on the road,
and bumped into a crate that turned out to be gold.

Filled with spice, that is. Kessel gold. Medicinal contraband.

(Somebody else will have to come up with the second verse, I'm now way behind on work.)

I have been thinking for many years now that Han was a former Imperial Navy pilot and that he rescued Chewbacca from an Imperial work camp. Maybe someone here can help remind me where I saw this. Is it some back story from the old EU? I didn't read any of that stuff other than the Zahn trilogy. I don't know where I would have come across this info?

I have been thinking for many years now that Han was a former Imperial Navy pilot and that he rescued Chewbacca from an Imperial work camp. Maybe someone here can help remind me where I saw this. Is it some back story from the old EU? I didn't read any of that stuff other than the Zahn trilogy. I don't know where I would have come across this info?

Yes! I thought that this was mainstream backstory stuff, and was really hopeful that the bulk of this movie would have centered around the Imperial Navy days. I think you could do a lot with that in terms of defining his general indifference/disillusionment/self-centeredness based on things he'd seen and done as a young man. All of the rest leading up to his Ep4 days could just be window dressing based on him trying to find his moral center.

That seems really interesting to me, not his shenanigans or his relationships with Lando and Chewie presented in a gratuitous vein (if that's indeed what we're getting). I realize casual (or newer) maybe fans aren't into a complex Han with depth, but I'd love it (especially if it further legitimizes the Empire in ANY way, and doesn't buffoon-ize them).

Yeah, since they were so hell-bent to get a "real actor" for the role, why not explore his former imperial allegiance to give him more depth.

Ah, I doubt any of that is in the movie except, maybe, in passing remarks. It will surely be a lot of Han Solo buffoonery. Just toned down from what Frick and Frack were doing with the character before they got booted off the project.

It sounds like there's been some excuse-making and low-expectation setting going on the last few days, out of the mouths of Ron Howard and Woody Harrelson. Sorry, I don't have the links handy, but Ron emphasized in his latest statement what a challenge it is to come into a project like this and change direction mid-stream. It sounded to me like he's getting out in front of bad press he's anticipating, by making excuses for a bad film pre-emptively.

And then the next day, Woody said he would not consider the film epic, but he thinks it could be funny--which signals to me that he's trying to set our expectations very low.

I've got a bad feeling about this.

The Wook

I have been thinking for many years now that Han was a former Imperial Navy pilot and that he rescued Chewbacca from an Imperial work camp. Maybe someone here can help remind me where I saw this.

I have the same thought about Han being involved with the Imperials and had hoped his new movie story would have flushed that out.

It would have been great to see Han as an under-performing officer in the Imperial Navy, collecting illegal DL-44 parts and running low-level cons for the Hutts to make a buck.
All the while, the Navy knows exactly what he has been doing.
Then having to make a serious choice, even if by accident, results in saving a ship full of Wookies and is forced to become Han Solo as an alias.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back