Star Trek Discovery Phaser by Anovos

It looks like Star Trek collectors are being introduced to what happens when your props get popular. Star Wars collecting fandom welcomes you! ;)

If you don't buy it now it will cost you twice as much when they stop producing them! :lol

Anovos is on it's way to clearing 4 tiers of Phasers, that's 200 pieces = $100,000 bucks. Compared to the population of the world 200 folks who can spare $500 isn't too hard to believe. Imagine if it went for $50 dollars, they would sell a 5,000 easy maybe 10,000 pieces that would = $250,000 or $500,000.

Anovos is on it's way to clearing 4 tiers of Phasers, that's 200 pieces = $100,000 bucks. Compared to the population of the world 200 folks who can spare $500 isn't too hard to believe. Imagine if it went for $50 dollars, they would sell a 5,000 easy maybe 10,000 pieces that would = $250,000 or $500,000.
That's just it...they COULD offer them for an absolutely REASONABLE $100 even $150 or $175, and still make a very hefty profit, and I'm positive sell each and every one they produce. But noooooo they need to be utterly and unreasonably GREEDY.
Im also very, VERY upset at the fact that they don't make larger sizes for the uniforms. Do I not matter?

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

That's just it...they COULD offer them for an absolutely REASONABLE $100 even $150 or $175, and still make a very hefty profit, and I'm positive sell each and every one they produce. But noooooo they need to be utterly and unreasonably GREEDY.

No, they couldn't, not without doing runs of thousands of units, farming the manufacturing out to China, and adding a year or two to the development time. There's a reason McFarlane's role-play phaser toy won't be out for another year. Manufacturing at scale takes time.

A basic rule of product development and engineering is: good, cheap, or fast - pick two. People complain about Anovos delays, so the goal is to shorten the turnaround.

If you want a product good and fast, it won't be cheap. It means manufacturing in the US (EXPENSIVE), from resin parts (whether cast or 3d printed, EXPENSIVE), and built by hand in small quantity (EXPENSIVE). They're going with 3d printed resin presumably for its speed (no steel tooling), precision, and repeatability - the material is expensive and the raw printed parts alone will likely run over $200-250. There is very little economy of scale with 3d printed resin. Add to that hand-made electronics. Assembly, painting, finishing, packaging, all by hand in the US. It adds up quickly. Good, fast, not cheap.

As a small company, Wand Company can manage a $150 phaser because they pour all their resources over a period of 18-24 months into developing and manufacturing ONE item at a time, and their design work is all in-house. Good, cheap, not fast. Wand also has distributors all over the world that help them move the large quantity of that single item. Anovos is also a small company, but it is not set up this way. They have many licenses they're obligated to service and cannot shut down all work for a year or two to focus on producing a $150 phaser prop. Not to mention that their product design is not all in-house in the first place, from what I understand.

Look at the prices that Rubbertoe Replicas charges for their Doctor Who props. Rubbertoe's props are high quality items made by hand in the UK in small runs by a prop studio, and the high prices reflect that. They're probably the best comparison point for the Anovos phasers as they will be produced by similar methods. Take for example the sonic blasters at $440 for a static resin prop, or $500 for a resin TARDIS with lights and no moving parts. By that metric, Anovos prices make much more sense. Are they for everyone? No. That's where companies like McFarlane Toys and Character Options come in.

Last edited:
It is obvious that you know and understand more than I about these things. I thank you for helping me to understand better. I will still stand by one of my opinions that their customer service is crap, and another opinion that they COULD produce a lower cost alternative for people like me who are disabled and on a fixed income that would very much like to own a pice of their favorite franchise.

Yeah, the new kiddos who have not been around for a long time have no clue as to the cost of manufacturing limited edition items and the licensing fees that go along with it. They have been spoiled by the cheaper props, which are cheaper in quality as well for the most part. Good licensed props cost real money and take time to get to the market, because they are not massed produced and mass marketed.
Go on ebay and look at the older Master Replicas props, those did not start off in expensive either, but they are coveted by collectors still. There is a reason for that.

I'll wait for the wand company to come out with a "tv remote" phaser. Their TOS phaser and communicator were close enough to the real thing for me and were a lot cheaper than $500.

Less than $50 printed and paint.
My STD Phaser.jpg23376436_10210028964833045_5758284712436047913_n.jpg23467402_10210028964713042_6494026956316490578_o.jpg23467157_10210028964153028_20851491305908120_o.jpg

My STD Phaser.jpg

23376436_10210028964833045_5758284712436047913_n.jpg

23467402_10210028964713042_6494026956316490578_o.jpg

23467157_10210028964153028_20851491305908120_o.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, the new kiddos who have not been around for a long time have no clue as to the cost of manufacturing limited edition items and the licensing fees that go along with it. They have been spoiled by the cheaper props, which are cheaper in quality as well for the most part. Good licensed props cost real money and take time to get to the market, because they are not massed produced and mass marketed.
Go on ebay and look at the older Master Replicas props, those did not start off in expensive either, but they are coveted by collectors still. There is a reason for that.
You are 100%, absolutely right. But what about ppl like me who are disabled and on a fixed budget? Unfortunately that's why ppl like arsenal models exist(I am quite ashamed to admit that I have purchased from them in the past, because I didn't know what I know now.) but their prices(possibly a little higher) are all I can afford. It truly saddens me that my options are so limited and or non existent.
If anyone can point me in the right direction where I can buy somewhat low cost props(even kits) I would GREATLY appreciate it!!

I'm just going to print off a copy of a phaser on my 3d printer, studiously sand/finish it and do the lights/electronics myself. Will end up with a good quality replica without paying a kidney.
If you ever decide to do a run I'm in(depending on price and funds available at the time.)

I'll wait for the wand company to come out with a "tv remote" phaser. Their TOS phaser and communicator were close enough to the real thing for me and were a lot cheaper than $500.
The phaser was supposedly laser scanned from a real screen used prop....... supposedly.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back