CFO Star Wars ANH comlink

sskunky

Sr Member
Hi guys,
I just thought I'd show off a comlink I made. I've still got a bit of fine tuning but quite pleased with it.

The original I was trying to replicate.

5936d1f5cda0dfdf532c4422af85aa29.jpg

And my version.

6553b76bdd80d24e5e3a237e933977e4.jpg

What do you think?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atm. it´s a hovi on a ribbed part - but the diameter are not matching to the screenused.

No opinion on the buttpiece yet.

It's made using what is supposed to be the found part.

I used a engine Cylinder and a Hovi mic tip. I guess the original has been bashed and used so the Cylinder edges on the original could be appearing as a smaller diameter? I am also using a modern equivalent of the engine part which may differ slightly from the original kit part?
Other than that it is just a Hovi on a ribbed part as that's what the original was.
The rear piece I'm guessing is the internal part of the Hovi the nipple bit.
The photo angle plays around with perspective quite a bit. I'll try and take a pic with a more similar angle and level of the original one.

I know. ;)

It just looks wrong. Look at the angle both have on the surface, the screenused falls to the hovi.

I wonder if they reshaped the Tomtit cylinder, maybe on a lathe?

I wanted to do this for a long time, but ..... so many started projects .....

Shoot me the details for 2 of your hovis, please - i will replace the ones in my stormy helmet with them, and then use the old ones for the comlink.

To my knowledge, despite what anyone might tell you. Unless you own an original helmet from ANH or ESB no one has ever found one. So all are copies of copies. I have had them remodelled in 3D by a talented designer and even gone as far as working out how they were originally injection moulded on trees. So my up n coming ones will be as close as you will get unless you can find an original.

To my eye it looks like there's more of a gap between the Hovi & cylinder at the 12 & 6 o'clock position then at the 3 o'clock position.

Dave

Have you counted the number of ribs on the ribbed piece?I might be wrong but I think there are 13 on the original and 14 on your reproduction? Perhaps they trimmed it down.

EDIT: Yes, I think I am wrong. I am starting to think that they have milled down the diameter a bit.

Do you think the Hovi tip could have been glued on off center on the original,making yours look off?

Dave

Possibly that contributed, but also an issue is that the hole in the end of the Reade cylinder is not concentric with the cylinder's outer diameter. Here is an unmodified Reade with a replica Hovi (itself not perfect) stuck into the end:

Note that the Hovi is much closer to the edge of the cylinder at the top compared to the bottom.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back