"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

I thought the attitude of the Krill toward humans was a parallel to what humans have, for the most part, thought of animals...that the whole world/universe is there to serve THEM, and the rest of the creatures are souless lifeforms to be used or destroyed at whim. This isn't a new premise, but it was fine for this show.

The biggest problem for me with this show is the juvenile humor and continuous 20th century references which take it completely out of it's time. This show would be best served by airing on Saturday morning so kids could appreciate it's adolescent one-liner jokes. What a waste of great props and special effects.

Doesn't matter if the person saying it believes in souls; SHE does, and using her own beliefs to zing it to her is the perfect thing to say.

I totally get what you're saying.

For me, though? If that was the line used I'd have found it out of place and awkward.

Last edited:
I thought the attitude of the Krill toward humans was a parallel to what humans have, for the most part, thought of animals...that the whole world/universe is there to serve THEM, and the rest of the creatures are souless lifeforms to be used or destroyed at whim. This isn't a new premise, but it was fine for this show.

Actually, this invoked to me a lot of the beliefs of the very early immigrants to the US, basically everyone from Pilgrims and such, about Native Americans. Basically, since most that fled from religious persecution, there were those that came to bring, in their view, God to the godless natives. In some cases, many of them believed that the Native Americans had no soul. And the Krill doing what they do because they believe that their religious way is the right way and that everyone else is soulless seems striking similar to that part of history to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remember these two from the zookeeper episode?

ZgIsIen.jpg

Well, fun fact: They were played by these two:

pEZMPYw.jpg

I came downstairs after playing around on my computer and thought about what I would watch on TV tonight. I got excited about The Orville and then I remembered it is already a repeat tonight.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

For anyone who doesn't know, the same people/company also did this with the Next Generation, DS9, and Enterprise themes. The Next Gen and DS9 versions are meh, but it's surprising how well the Voyager and Enterprise themes match the Orville footage. As far as I know, they haven't done one with the original series theme; I'm guessing they tried it and it didn't work at all.

For anyone who doesn't know, the same people/company also did this with the Next Generation, DS9, and Enterprise themes. The Next Gen and DS9 versions are meh, but it's surprising how well the Voyager and Enterprise themes match the Orville footage. As far as I know, they haven't done one with the original series theme; I'm guessing they tried it and it didn't work at all.

I found the Enterprise theme to be amongst the worst of that bunch, mainly because the sped up the theme somewhat and then chopped it to fit. It's one thing to chop an instrumental piece, but when you do it with lyrics, it ruins the flow even further by making the remaining pieces disjointed.

I found the Enterprise theme to be amongst the worst of that bunch, mainly because the sped up the theme somewhat and then chopped it to fit. It's one thing to chop an instrumental piece, but when you do it with lyrics, it ruins the flow even further by making the remaining pieces disjointed.
I hadn't noticed they did that because I watched Enterprise on Netflix and fast forwarded through the titles sequence because of that song. :D

I love the enterprise theme so much. In the same way that I love the dirty dancing soundtrack

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

So far they have avoided the holodeck crutch by only using it to set up a joke. I hope they can also avoid adding two or three new types of radiation every season.

Ugh, the old countdown and stopping just before it reaches whatever number.

Okay, I absolutely LOVED this episode.

I really liked how it took into account so much in today's "socially driven" society. The idea of everyone, and what appeared to be everyTHING, having an "up/down" vote button is really, really interesting to me. How many times have people looked into something, seen that it has more "down" votes than "up" votes and just written it off? I get it, in some things it's a good way to go about your business...if I'm looking for hotels to book while taking a trip, I'm certainly not going to book one that has 1 positive review and 100 negative ones...however, in other things it seems that sometimes you might be better off looking into something yourself to see what you feel about it.

I think it's especially something that we here on RPF, as movie and entertainment fans, can really relate to. Movies, TV shows, games, and more all get reviewed...sometimes hundreds of times...and we often end up with things that we like, or dislike, that the "masses" typically disagree with. For instance...some of the more popular TV shows out there, I literally can't stand...and this one, that we are discussing here, is one that has fairly negative reviews yet I absolutely love it. If I were to JUST go by the "up/down" votes I probably wouldn't be watching "The Orville" at all.

I also liked how they even poked at the fact that SOME people end up being treated differently in the court of public opinion, and sometimes in the real courts, based on what they can do that entertains people. When John was asked if he had any talents, and told that people tend to like someone more if they can do something entertaining...that really kind of hits the nail on the head in our society today. If Joe Blow goes out and beats up his girlfriend, on camera, he ends up spending time behind bars. If an athlete or singer does this same thing, on camera, they issue an apology and end up going on their merry way. It really is true.

Another great point was when the girl was helping them "flood the feed" and they asked "What if someone tries to fact check these?" and she says "Don't worry, they won't." How accurate is that? Those of you with Facebook accounts, how often do you see someone sharing something that you just KNOW is incorrect, not true, or just a flat out lie?? People share things without checking to see whether what they are sharing is true or not, and other people then do the same thing. I felt that point was really well played into the scene.

I'm kind of babbling because I'm pretty tired, and I know I'm missing a few little nuances here, but this episode was just stellar in my opinion...even WITH the trope of "trying to beat the clock" that @NormanF mentioned. Sure, that's a pretty tired mechanic in really anything, and I really expected it to just end at 9,999,999...but other than that, I felt that this episode was just about perfect.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back