My 31" "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" Nautilus Build

20kpaint1.JPG20kpaint2.JPG20kpaint3.JPG20kpaint4.JPG20kpaint5.JPG20kpaint6.JPG20kpaint7.JPG well, here is the final finish, on the lower at least. what this is...is Modern Masters rusting IRON paint, and the activator meant to go with it. Following the directions, you'd paint first, two coats (timed) then sprits on the activator twice (timed)
I did that the first time around, went on too thick and real heavy brush marks, so I stripped it with oven cleaner.
This time, after the base coat and the panel/rivet lines, I mixed the activator and paint, 2 to 1. I used an old hypo for exact measuring. 6 cc's od paint and 12 cc's of activator. mix 'er up real good in a small plastic bowl. paint the stuff on, not super heavy. you will get some brush marks but brush in the direction of water flow and it won't matter.
dry overnight. I found that I had lost my panel/rivet lines once again and the dry rubbing with a soft cloth like Bob had done wasn't getting it. So I had these artist erasers, the off white ones, rectangle shaped. Went over the whole thing with that, the lightly brushed it with a fine copper wire brush, brass I'm sure is fine too. and this is what I ended up with. in the right light it's got a cow-pie green hue to it and the metallic of the base coat can be seen. I conferred with Bob martin on the clear and he suggested semi-gloss rather than matt or gloss. I'm betting that's going to be correct and this thing will turn out good.
will post pics once clear is one and dry.
btw, has everyone abandon this thread but me???

Keep on posting your progress. I hope Tim returns soon. When I build one, I'll be going for a rustier finish, but what you've got so-far, looks pretty good.

Hey thanks Buds...it's been a rascal so far with this finish, but I will admit I was overly focused on trying to get Bob's results, but since the formula has been changed on the rust iron paint, it's elusive to say the least. I'm sure there's a mix ratio that would do it but this last try looks good enough for who it's for. In fact I'm quite pleased with it even though it was hap-hazard. you certainly can get the really rusty finish with this stuff, but be warned...brushing it on will give you brush marks. the stuff is too thick to run through an air brush, you'd ruin the air brush. I had thought to try a pump spray bottle with a high-end adjustable nozzle but I didn't get that far. if you've got one of those inexpensive sprayers like you would use on interior/exterior house paint, that would probably be the thing to use. the trouble with the spray bottle, even with a good adjustable nozzle is, that it will still spit a little and that might not be desirable.
yeah, I'm hoping Timey returns soon as well. he's got a lot of great ideas that I incorporated into mine. [
thanks again...and I'm glad I'm not all alone on this thread. :lol:thumbsupQUOTE=32buds;4326918]Keep on posting your progress. I hope Tim returns soon. When I build one, I'll be going for a rustier finish, but what you've got so-far, looks pretty good.[/QUOTE]

ok, Bob said semi-gloss and here are the results for the lower hull, I'd say he called it correctly and I'm very pleased with the outcome.
I did the upper last night as well and this morning before leaving for work I took the eraser to a couple spots. looks as though it should turn out as well but I won't know till I get it all rubbed, brushed, wiped and sprayed. I know what you're thinking...should have done upper and lower together for uniformity but I would agonize about having to strip the upper like I had the lower. next build will be all at once since now I have a proven process.lowerhull3.jpeglowerhull4.jpeglowerhull5.jpeglowerhull6.jpegupperhull1.jpegupperhull2.jpeg

well thanks, I have to admit though...I'm just learning a whole new set of paint and weathering skills but from a master. Bob Martin the RCsubguy. As well as a few of our fellow members here, Timey for one, and a few other guys on the Millennium Falcon threads as well as a few geniuses that post incredible stuff on you tube.
absolutely amazing craftsmanship there

well, here is the final results of the process I used on this one. Thanks in great part to the guidance of Bob Martin, the RCsubguy...I still have some pastel work to do, but all in all I'm quite pleased with it.upperhull3.jpegupperhull4.jpegupperhull5.jpegupperhull6.jpegupperhull7.jpeg

Hi - I was talking to one of my club mates last night at our model club pub night catch up about your Nautili as your build has inspired me to consider the Pegasus kit - I mentioned your larger kit and one of our club members who runs ASAM Models in the UK who is connected to other white metal vendors, mentioned a kit that one of his mates has created in resin, as an alternative for me to consider other than the Pegasus kit. This link will take you to it - I don't know if you know it already but is also another "larger Nautilus"

http://www.hlbs.co.uk/product.php?id=782

Hope this has helped you

regards - John

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there,
thanks for the heads up on that. that is big. I'm guessing 1/77 scale like these others? I have to admit I'm not much for a waterline but never say never, right? :thumbsup
Hi - I was talking to one of my club mates last night at our model club pub night catch up about your Nautili as your build has inspired me to consider the Pegasus kit - I mentioned your larger kit and one of our club members who runs ASAM Models in the UK who is connected to other white metal vendors, mentioned a kit that one of his mates has created in resin, as an alternative for me to consider other than the Pegasus kit. This link will take you to it - I don't know if you know it already but is also another "larger Nautilus"

Hope this has helped you

regards - John

you know, I forgot to mention and perhaps I've said it in a previous post but I built that Pegasus for a friend in CA who sent it to me to build for him. He's got it now and is freak happy with it. it's the reason I decided to do the larger Disney in the first place. When I started it for him It was kind of hold my nose and just do it but as I got into it, it was a fun kit. if they made a bigger scale of it, I'd do one for myself. then you could really get crazy with lighting and detail. 1/144 would be kinda tough to try to go where I've gone with the bigger fish :lol

Hope this has helped you

regards - John

gt350pony66
You build looks great! I've built a good number of these hulls and yours is spot on.
Again, Think you should start your own thread as this one is Timey Whimey's and his build is spot on as well.
TommieIMG_3998.JPG

Re: My 31" "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" Nautilus Build

Thanks Tommie,
I'm getting into it. I have a second one waiting in the closet I got from Bob, full salon and the same Shapeways exterior upgrade pieces. perhaps I'll start a thread on the next build. I think you were the one that mentioned that it seems like we hijacked Timey's thread [:lolQUOTE=vismus;4328293]gt350pony66
You build looks great! I've built a good number of these hulls and yours is spot on.
Again, Think you should start your own thread as this one is Timey Whimey's and his build is spot on as well.
TommieView attachment 764119[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

btw Tommie, that's a stunning boat you have, hope mine turns out that good :thumbsup

ok, I need a little help...I've been using the pre-wired 5mm LED's with built in resistor for 9V, I flat-tipped them, sanded the surface, AND sanded the backside of the acrylic and glass lens I used but these are still way too bright. Standing back they're kinda ok, but up close trying to see the salon interior the light is too much to even see the sofa. I'm sure there is an additional resistor that I can put in the main power wire to drag down the brightness, but not sure where to start. I used to have a genius old guy at my local Radio Shack that knew all that like his own birthday, BUT all the Shacks shut down around here and the guys at Fry's Electronics don't know the butt from a rat-hole. 20klighting1.jpeg20klighting2.jpeg

Re: My 31" "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" Nautilus Build

however, the rest of the interior lights and the dragon eyes are good. Going to run 2 separate power wires to single a multi-circuit switch...

thanks my friend,

the Pegasus was a great kit, all the pieces fit like a glove, trimming is nothing but where they attach to the sprue. I wish they made that one bigger so a guy could really get crazy with lighting and what-not.
Why not get the Disney fish though, cost?
this Naultili is blowing me away every day - so, so tempted to get the Pegasus kit just to get on the band wagon of Nautili building

figured it out...by accident. went to Fry's Electronics, just what I expected...collection of idiots. Had some left over resistors from another project when I was doing it like Timey does.
first one I tried did the trick, lucky me.salon4.jpegsalon5.jpegsalon7.jpeg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back