Sail barge saber in March 2017 WIRED magazine?

You sure? Where the rod enters it looks like a pretty solid piece.

yes!

James Kenobi filled me in, thats the graflex stunt sold at Christie's auction house, the emitter eing as been filled in with a resin (or some other material) plug for stability. the rivets are in the clamp and the saber was painted with rattle can silver

resin fighting stunts didn't show up until 1998 in TPM

- - - Updated - - -

I will also say, this mold was detailed enough to pick up the circuit board leads and the detailed upper neck. Would it then also be so crappy to cast a bevel where a straight edge would be?

I can only say "possibly". I've never had much luck working with plaster molds; I've never got happy results with them. I'd pick up some great details in one area and a mess in others. But that's just my personal experience so consider me biased.

I'm not ruling out that it isn't beveled but to the extent that's seen on the cast, in comparison to pics of the V3 (as close-up as we have), I'm lead to believe something else is exaggerating it.

Also, this might have already been noticed and not worth mentioning, but the circuit card in the cast looked to have been painted completly gold when it started life.

Last edited:
Sorry, I have been popping in and out of the thread and may have missed something, but are you saying you think this saber came from a plaster mold? It would not be possible. There are too many undercuts, and only one seam. If it was plaster it would have broken to bits demolding. The cubes and the clamp lever in particular would not be possible.. This saber is without a doubt from a rubber mold.

I can only say "possibly". I've never had much luck working with plaster molds; I've never got happy results with them. I'd pick up some great details in one area and a mess in others. But that's just my personal experience so consider me biased.

Indeed ... hm so ... when I return home I'll check my Archive ... if this was a multiple-used clamp it most certainly would explain those additional large screw holes on the opposite side :)

Chaïm

I don't think you're mistaken but I just don't see it. If it were that case, we'd still see it crop up in this photo, where it would hypothetically show up in the right corner (bottom) of the clamp...

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=712793&d=1489035584

...And I just don't see it.

I just re-read and it in fact says "This one, Luke’s green-bladed Excalibur, was a new design crafted for Jedi. But this saber wasn’t built piece by piece—it’s a casting. In this process, a silicone mold is made of the original prop, then that mold is used to produce identical copies in hard rubber, resin, and even metal."

Not trying to call you out, just saw information that was not correct and wanted to explain why it was to avoid any confusion.

That's what the blurb in the Wired piece said and I was going off of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this discussion! I'd never known a whole lot about plaster or rubber molds

Also, yes! the circuit board looks like it was just...all gold or yellow. If it shot out of R2 it wouldn't need the detail I guess. The one in the air did have a bit of glint on it...or am I remembering the V2 dropping from a height?

star-wars-anh-luke-lightsaber-promo-1.jpgCool thing to note, I know graflex parts are moveable, but sometimes they just left stuff alone, the graflex clamp on this saber is upside down too! (though the stunt today still has a clamp)

I just re-read and it in fact says "This one, Luke’s green-bladed Excalibur, was a new design crafted for Jedi. But this saber wasn’t built piece by piece—it’s a casting. In this process, a silicone mold is made of the original prop, then that mold is used to produce identical copies in hard rubber, resin, and even metal."

Not trying to call you out, just saw information that was not correct and wanted to explain why it was to avoid any confusion.

It says ''plaster'' but if it's not the case in actuality, then it is what it is.:unsure

attachment.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if they had a rubber master they could have made a plaster mold and broken it away after casting. Just sayin... ;) But then what was the mold for the rubber master made from???? Ok, just being full of it, sorry... :)

It's interesting that they got it wrong in the printed copy, but exactly.. a plaster mold makes no sense.
It would appear they corrected that fact in the online article.

A plaster mold would make no sense in this case.

An investment casting is entirely possible.. just not what they did here. They would have to break the mold apart to get the saber out, and that in itself would likely damage the resin saber. Have you ever cast resin in a stone mold? It isn't pretty.

Let me ask you this.. what gives it away as not being an investment cast? That little detail and the fact the details are so crisp, and further more, no hint of any plaster being left in harder to clean areas point to it being a silicone mold.. to me at least.. but what do I know? ;) Also...That little detail? *cough* seam line.. *cough cough.*

"Investment Cast"

This is entirely on topic.. it is about the saber, isn't it? ;)
Heat up a really slow curing resin so it melts out the wax? I like it. ;) Ok, this is going way off topic, sorry.

Last edited:
In painting a copy of the hero, not only did I clear coat rub n buff (NEVER DO THAT) but I dropped it. the emitter broke. In this exact fashion. Great. Now the silver finish is distorted like it was handled for twenty years and the emitter looks like this one. I'm torn between experimental awe and sadness.

I'm sure it must have been a soft mould. But WRT investment casting, one could always have a dissolvable mould. Seems like significant overkill for this kind of piece though. :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back