Sail barge saber in March 2017 WIRED magazine?

Umm, no one's remarked that even if the hole positions lined up, what would a clamp be doing placed so high up on a Graflex body? You can't align the holes with the clamp in its normal spot with its tabs engaged in the tubes.

My theory: After filming, 1 prop guys says to another..

"Hey, check this out..."
Second guy says " what are you doing with that drill?"
First guy "just wait 34 years, I promise it's going to be hilarious!"

I don't think the posit is that the clamp was high up on the body, just that the dueling stunts had no shortage of Allen bolts put in then, and we can see from the resin ESB graflex that at least one model did it through the clamp-- therefor its not hard to buy that the V3/SS clamp was on an ESB era stunt saber of some type.

YEs-- but not the ones we see cast on the resin stunt. Different position sure, again-- just saying the holes were most likely there as part of a stunt rig.

I haven't seen a clear one if the entire ESB stunts-- it just seemed like a safe assumption that was why the Vader saber had all those screws in it. They weren't there to be seen.

There is this ESB stunt-- it's resin but whatever it was molded from seemed to have screws in the clamp area.

View attachment 714349

Do have a look at the Stuntsaber in the middle of the 3 V3 ... underneath the chrome tape you can detect a tiny indentation of a hole which does line up with the position of the 8-like hole on OB1 :wacko . . . So is this the clamp from the OB1 hero that went on to the shared stunt whereas the rest of the hero lightsaber was returned to Bapty afterall?

Chaïm

I think ruling out the Obi Wan cotter pin idea is safe, the V3 clamp is upside down, and that would place those big holes on the grenade.

the holes DO have beveled edges, as if they're countersunk.

I think ruling out the Obi Wan cotter pin idea is safe, the V3 clamp is upside down, and that would place those big holes on the grenade.

the holes DO have beveled edges, as if they're countersunk.
Do they? Or is that just the foil tape folded over the edges? You are referring to the SS clamp holes, right?

This is a screencap of the wired saber blown up, drilled hole compared to the slot

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 9.43.46 PM.png

I wouldn't think so, judging by the pics of the actual metal hilt. It looks like pretty straight, flush sides to me. Whatever caused it on the cast I would think would've been caused by the mold more than anything.

I haven't seen a clear one if the entire ESB stunts-- it just seemed like a safe assumption that was why the Vader saber had all those screws in it. They weren't there to be seen.

There is this ESB stunt-- it's resin but whatever it was molded from seemed to have screws in the clamp area.

View attachment 714349
holdon

that esb stunt is actually a graflex! its been painted with silver rattle can to dull it down on set!

Well, there you go! Certainly looks to be a chamfer there.
If not a deliberate chamfer, there was definitely some kind of tapered bolt going through those holes at some point.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

I'm with Pixelpiper, those bolts are too far forward to have been there to hold the clamp on. If you line up a photo of the Vader ROTJ and a Luke ANH/ESB/TFA the clamps are in the same position, therefore the bolts are too far forward to have gone through it in the manner MCM depicted.

If anyone has a photo of a stunt with the clamp choked up towards the emitter end, I might change my mind.

My guess is that the bolts where either required to hold something within the hilt or were added simply for decoration.

The chamfer on the hole in the WIRED Pre-V3 is probably a mold artifact. They may have even clayed it up a bit to fill the gap so that the rubber wouldn't get keyed in place on the original during molding. Or it did get keyed stuck because they did it quick and dirty and the beveled edge is the resulting artifact from tearing the mold off of the original.

The clamp on the Stunt/V3 is indeed turned 180 as we know . . . so bear with me and that Stunt in the center . . . if you open up and remove the clamp lever from the OB1 ANH Hero (Chronicles picture seen at post #129) entirely and also switch the sidebars, now turn the clamp 180 ... put the sidebars back in the G R A F L E X position again as seen on the Stunt/V3 and this casting then add the clamplever ... and you'll end up with that tiny indentation covered by chrometape where it's supposed to be :) Or am I still mistaken?

Chaïm

I'm with Pixelpiper, those bolts are too far forward to have been there to hold the clamp on. If you line up a photo of the Vader ROTJ and a Luke ANH/ESB/TFA the clamps are in the same position, therefore the bolts are too far forward to have gone through it in the manner MCM depicted.

If anyone has a photo of a stunt with the clamp choked up towards the emitter end, I might change my mind...

I originally put forth the idea just as a test for anyone to try (there's still yet anyone to try it) but everyone seems to be working under the assumption that the clamp still had its tabs and were used in the conventional way. I think at this point it's safe to say nothing they did with these things was conventional.

There's plenty enough evidence out there that shows the clamps were interchangeable across a variety of things, from genuine Graflex 3-Cell tops to alu tubes cut to resemble one (the Vader ANH dueling/shared stunt depicted in @SethS's compendium show a clamp on the body, both far up and facing away the "front" of the hilt), and even completely cobbled pieces made from Kobolds and Graflex and MPP parts, I.E. the Hamill "explodey" hand stunt. And there's also corroborating photos that show dueling stunts where there were bolts/screws that also didn't sit flush to the body of the hilt. @thd9791 posted one of them.

The idea was put forth based on the photo evidence of a few of these converted/cobbled Graflex or Graflex-esque dueling stunts that shared similar use as the one on the V3 implies: decoration to resemble the original prop from a distance. There has yet to be a photo that's surfaced that shows the original prop the V3 clamp originally came from. The holes in the clamp, based on what other photos of other bashed dueling stunts and considering the history of the props during the production, imply that something when through them to join or keep something together. Be it the actual fencing rod or the entire assembly together (clamp included), we can't know positively. However, with the stuff we do know from what's provided, I don't think it that far of a reach of the imagination.

...The chamfer on the hole in the WIRED Pre-V3 is probably a mold artifact. They may have even clayed it up a bit to fill the gap so that the rubber wouldn't get keyed in place on the original during molding. Or it did get keyed stuck because they did it quick and dirty and the beveled edge is the resulting artifact from tearing the mold off of the original.

This I agree with. However, if the Wired blurb that went with it is to be believed, and considering (if I recall correctly) rubber/silicone wasn't as widely used during this time, the molds were plaster. Regardless, I think you're right on this.

Last edited:
The clamp on the Stunt/V3 is indeed turned 180 as we know . . . so bear with me and that Stunt in the center . . . if you open up and remove the clamp lever from the OB1 ANH Hero (Chronicles picture seen at post #129) entirely and also switch the sidebars, now turn the clamp 180 ... put the sidebars back in the G R A F L E X position again as seen on the Stunt/V3 and this casting then add the clamplever ... and you'll end up with that tiny indentation covered by chrometape where it's supposed to be :) Or am I still mistaken?
I don't think you're mistaken but I just don't see it. If it were that case, we'd still see it crop up in this photo, where it would hypothetically show up in the right corner (bottom) of the clamp...

attachment.php

...And I just don't see it.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back