Show your custom Lightsabers!

The "stripping" and "refinishing" world is one that is still a bit outside my skillset... unless by refinish you mean rattlecan. :)

Last edited:
I actually quite like it as it is and vote for no shroud at all. If you still want to put something on it, I would say something like a fender washer to simulate an emitter plate at the top ala Obi/Luke. Maybe a stack of them with smaller washers inbetween to space them out.

Last edited:
So... I got this...

s-l1600.jpg

...and this...

s-l1600.jpg

...because I could take tubing or steel rod and bend it to join the 3 RCA jack plugs to another section of something, with an exposed crystal chamber, and use the bulb lock switch part from the flash as an emitter stuck down on the single RCA jack side of the larger adapter and it'd be TOTALLY BAD@$$ !!!

Except, well...

Ridire Firean - Build My Own Custom Lightsaber - 01.jpg

Clearly, those are not RCA jacks, but had they been, they'd have been roughly 3/8" and the entire witdth would have been around 1-1/2"...PERFECT! NOPE!!! DOH!!!:facepalm

When I picked up the box I thought, "What? Did they forget to put the parts in there?" Because I knew, from having asked the seller if these were metal or plastic, and he confirmed that the larger one was metal and that the smaller one was plastic, that these should have SOME weight to them. NOPE!!!

All I could do was laugh. The parts are still really cool looking, they're just going to have to become internal parts rather than external ones! Too funny.:lol

Last edited:
I got that underwater flash too-- it looked like a great saber base-- but it's just a little too big.

I got that underwater flash too-- it looked like a great saber base-- but it's just a little too big.

Hey SethS , The aluminum end caps you mean? Or the overall length?

I thought the black handle section was diamond knurled aluminum until I saw the seam that says its really a plasticy-rubber applique.

Did yours smell like manure on the inside, or was someone doing something nefarious with the one I got? I Windexed and Clorox wiped all of the grease off of the threads and O-rings and wiped and washed the entire handle section until all I could smell was cleaning chemicals. I even wiped down the battery tray. Pee-Yew!!!

I still think that with the cord this thing would make a really neat looking protosaber if attached to a Canon "B" <--- ( I think ) flash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah-- the grip. Seems really big to me, not a lot of room to add stuff. Mine didn't smell-- but considering they are underwater flashes, its not unlikely some seawater got gross in yours!

Protosaber! Not a bad idea!

SethS of all of your shrouds, I like the one with the emitter still popping through the most. I like it fine without any of them, though. How's that for a non-answer!

I'm weathering a giant storm of internet hate today, so I decided to just tinker and play-- I'm daring to turn my computer on long enough to share these...

The last few sabers that got some suggestions have been worked out!

First, the Presslite. Since everyone had a different idea I was kinda stuck still-- I decided to go with what I had initially-- but with some extra paint, and I built up the emitter with a Canon Y battery case and some random bulb socket.

update3.jpg

Then there was this guy:

retro4.jpg

Everybody, me included, hated on that knob. So I replaced it with some Heiland greeb action. I've got some d-rings on the way, I'll add one to the bottom later.

update1.jpg

And then the Peak, my bare metal beauty. I followed the suggestion of "building up" the emitter instead of adding a shroud. Not sure if anyone will like this, but I think it;s cool and different.

update2.jpg

Now onto something new....

Love the look of your "bare metal beauty!" I don't think I've ever seen anyone do an emitter like that and I love it. So unique, and cool to boot.

I think if that was my saber the only thing I would add would be some horizontal grips on the bottom stopping just short either side of the buttons.. but then it wouldn't be bare metal, would it?

Score! I purchased a lot of 14 calculator bubble displays off eBay, and now that they've arrived it's confirmed what I hoped -- the majority of them are the Novus 820-style that I've already used on a couple of builds. These have nice big bubbles, larger than the standard TI calculator strips. The actual Novus calculators with these in them seem to be really hard to find.

Speaking of what's next for me...

I asked my friend and fellow RPFer Daegurth if he might turn a couple pieces for me. Just some sabery looking parts to help finish some two cells. While he had the lathe going I decided to hit him up with a full thin-neck style saber that I drew up a design for.

He did a stellar job:

custom_thin.jpg

I've got weathering, paint, and grip plans for it and a no-logo clamp from Roman just arrived...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back