The Martian Space Suit

It looks like metal in all of the photos I have seen of the locking clamp. I don't believe that the gold visor was ever designed to be functional, It's purely for looks and to light up the actors faces.

Oh I know it wasn't designed to be functional in the real one. I was just wondering it it might be possible to make it functional. It would be fun to be hidden behind it, at least some of the time.

Hey there, Im a new member here, but an old hand in the prop making industry, I was wondering @Capain april if your making your CAD model available for download, Just keen to build one, and while its quite quiet in the workshop I have loads of time. I can offer my knowledge, or things like milling or turning metal parts or Vac forming on our huge vac formers, I know some guys might be doing limited cast runs,but the shipping to NZ is always crazy (had a ODST helmet buck shipped to me, cost a minter)
This forum thread is amazing, there are a handful of guys here in the workshop that are keen on the build after seeing this thread.
Thanks
LF

Last edited by a moderator:
Oddly, the gold visor is such a narrow wedge that lowering it would leave the top of your head exposed through the two small skylights. So while you face is protected, radiation is free to beam straight into the top of your skull!

Well you could always screw in two of those visor panels so they permanently block those holes in addition to the visor you can flip down but that would make it not screen-accurate and two layers thick when the visor is up.

Oh, I see what is going on there. I wasn't realizing the windows were actually windows and being shielded by the visor. They would be a bit weird. I think you could probably put some pieces up there without making it too thick and inaccurate. Maybe mount them inside the window area. I just want to meld it a little bit with the book, and would like to hide behind the visor. If the visor was actually designed to be usable, I figure that's what they would have done anyways. Definitely something I will be attempting to do.

I just figured out that the orange and light grey strings on the gloves are in fact white colored neoprene strings. I noticed this as I compared their size to the black neoprene strings used for the seams on the suit itself and they appear to be attached in a similar manner as well as the same thickness, although I suspect the ones on the glove are white instead of black since one screen-grab shows them in white while all other member taken and screen photos show them as orange that seems roughly painted.

Screenshot_2015-10-20-17-55-30.png

Anyone identified this fabric yet? I was thinking it could be some sort of grey gripping rubber weaved with black plastic for strength but that's a wild guess. I haven't seen that type of weave before either and I can't find it anywhere.

Edit:
Screenshot_2015-10-20-19-34-13.png

And I didn't notice this before but very nice shot of the inside of the battle-belt :)
Also that fabric mesh net thingy is requested.

Last edited:
View attachment 543411
And I didn't notice this before but very nice shot of the inside of the battle-belt :)
Also that fabric mesh net thingy is requested.

Kept meaning to point that one out. I just kept forgetting. Thanks for bringing it up. That inside made me think it might have been commercial initially, but now looking at some of the seams its a bit rougher than I thought.

The inside mesh looks very similar to this. As for the outside and edging, it appears to be a woven polyester like this, only with more greys.

That net looks close enough but I can imagine getting one with the same large holes would be difficult.

The one on the outside of the screen used belt looks more like two different materials with a very specific and uncommon weave leaving the surface very rough since it's separating the strands on the surface alot, making it look like it's made for some sort of non-slip plastic and rubber fabric. The threads are very thick and seems to be a solid material, almost as if it's also custom made but finding out the weave used is by far beyond me.

Nice! I'm glad my reference was so helpful!

Very helpful! Thank you!

I was hemming and hawing for a few weeks trying to determine if it was worth the cost of ordering them... wasn't sure if anyone was even interested. But I took the plunge. Hopefully the thread and material color will be close.

Screenshot_2015-10-22-17-38-37.png

Earlier I pointed out how the male ends of the Nautic Cobra buckles were all custom brass parts, now I noticed that the one fastened to the neoprene on the front is actually fastened inside and sticking out through a slot.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back