C-3PO & R2-D2 2 in 1 dio Bandai 1:12 scale

Hemble

Hi All,

Did another 2 in 1 dio this time C-3PO & R2-D2. The figures are both from Bandai and built straight out of the box and they were painted and weathered using Vallejo Paints and Pastel Chalks.

The base is the stands that come with the kits and I used balsa wood for the edges. The small moisture vaporator and storage unit were done by using soft drink lids, charger cords, plastic card and deodorant lids.

The sand is a mix of spakfilla and sand and once dry the base was painted and weathered using Vallejo Piants and Pastel Chalks

Ron

Attachments

• IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0327.JPG
    IMG_0327.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0341.JPG
    IMG_0341.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0343.JPG
    IMG_0343.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0345.JPG
    IMG_0345.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0347.JPG
    IMG_0347.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0349.JPG
    IMG_0349.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0357.JPG
    IMG_0357.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0359.JPG
    IMG_0359.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 135
Re: C-3PO & R2-D2 2 in 1 dio Bandai 1:12 scale

Love the "book holder" type of dio: make two in one kinda thing. Lovely work for sure!

- - - Updated - - -

Love the "book holder" type of dio: make two in one kinda thing. Lovely work for sure!

Re: C-3PO & R2-D2 2 in 1 dio Bandai 1:12 scale

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks heaps mate.

- - - Updated - - -

So awesome. You're just churning these out now! And I love them all.

Cheers r0ver and these are older builds I did at the beginning of the year.

Great work and use of materials.. Do you paint most of your 1/12 figures or just weather? I have enjoyed checking out all of the displays you have created.

I'd be curious to know the paints and colors and process used for C-3PO.

Gold is so hard to find good colors for

I have a few bookmarked including angrytrooper 's build . I know he used Alclad, but if I can get away with Vallejo and chalks that would sure be easier to get

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if it's not for C3PO Alclad paint is a lot of fun to paint with generally over a black gloss with the only 10 PSI and just lightly coat it on. It really brings out the metal parts. Blake my LHS in PA stocks Alclad although the pale gold I bought on Amazon.
I'm also a fan of Vallejo but maybe a need the correct Vallejo cleaner as being water based I seem to have a hard time cleaning out my Iwata brush after using Vallejo paints. Normally clean with Klean Thinner. Anyhow, give Alclad a shot it is different then the standard airbrushing.

Thanks,
A Trooper

Last edited:
Great work and use of materials.. Do you paint most of your 1/12 figures or just weather? I have enjoyed checking out all of the displays you have created.

Thanks angrytrooper , for droids I give them washes and then add details by painting them and for the troopers I either do washes and then weather or I repaint them completely.

I'd be curious to know the paints and colors and process used for C-3PO.

Gold is so hard to find good colors for

I have a few bookmarked including @angrytrooper 's build . I know he used Alclad, but if I can get away with Vallejo and chalks that would sure be easier to get

Hi blakeh, for 3PO I first gave him a good hardy wash with watered down matt black and then used a semi dry baby wipe and dapped it over him, The reason I use baby wipes is it doesn't soak up the paint as fast as a cloth or tissue.

Once the wash is dry I then lightly went over him with Vallejo gold and the used pastel chalks for the dust weathering.

Even if it's not for C3PO Alclad paint is a lot of fun to paint with generally over a black gloss with the only 10 PSI and just lightly coat it on. It really brings out the metal parts. Blake my LHS in PA stocks Alclad although the pale gold I bought on Amazon.
I'm also a fan of Vallejo but maybe a need the correct Vallejo cleaner as being water based I seem to have a hard time cleaning out my Iwata brush after using Vallejo paints. Normally clean with Klean Thinner. Anyhow, give Alclad a shot it is different then the standard airbrushing.

Thanks,
A Trooper

I have never used an airbrush as I have always used brushes to paint and weather my kits but I love the details that guys like yourself do using them.

Hi blakeh, for 3PO I first gave him a good hardy wash with watered down matt black and then used a semi dry baby wipe and dapped it over him, The reason I use baby wipes is it doesn't soak up the paint as fast as a cloth or tissue.

Once the wash is dry I then lightly went over him with Vallejo gold and the used pastel chalks for the dust weathering.

Cool, it certainly worked out well. I'm torn between trying to the Alclad and this. They both yield great results

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back