Bandai 1/48 AT-ST

astroboy

Master Member
So after it sat in the drawer for a year, I decided to pull it out.

Once again, typical Bandai quality. Although yes, the plastic is quite different than the other bandai kits that I've done. I'm not going to bother with the interior because I really don't care. Frankly, you can only see in if there's lighting anyway.

The only real criticism I have has to do with the leg positioning. Other than the connections to the body, you can't really do much. I assumed that the (backwards) knee would move because it gave us two types of joint locks (one seems to allow it to pivot) but it remains locked either way. I even tried to pull the whole connection apart but the plastic seems so fragile, I don't want to play with it too much.

At this point, I've got the primer on, and some damage. I also used a bit of gundam marker on the damage as a sort of pre-shade. And it's loosely fitted together. I'll pull the legs off for most of the paint.

I'd like to add some greens and browns in with the black for the preshade. I think I need to look into armor painting techniques.

Last edited:
I find these walkers interesting in the fact that the paint on the studio model is a lot sloppier than on other ships. So at this moment, I don't think the studio model style is necessarily the right way to go about it.

IMG_4634.jpg

IMG_4633.jpg

You know? Another thing this has made me realize is the main reasons these lucasfilm designs worked so well...they have life to them.

This vehicle doesn't remind you of any earthly vehicle (unlike the new order troop transport). It's animalistic. And it has cold, skeletal, sad eyes. The AT-At is inspired by an elephant, with the head of a turtle. And even that At-AT head has life. It also looks sad.

The stormtroopers don't look like badass robot soldiers. They look like Sad skeletons. That's why they're terrifying.

Last edited:
I never thought about it, but you're right... so many things in the Empire have a skeletal quality, even Vader's mask which is skull-like. Even Peter Cushing! :) They really are bringers of death.

Great progress on Ol' Chicken Legs there :)

I never thought about it, but you're right... so many things in the Empire have a skeletal quality, even Vader's mask which is skull-like. Even Peter Cushing! :) They really are bringers of death.

Totally. So the design works because the imperial designs work because they move like life, but resemble death.

I love the little black marks next to the stormtroopers eyes. They look like tears

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Does anyone have any videos on armor painting? I've seen some really great planes that are a single color, but are really complex as well.

Also? Does anyone know where I can get 1/48 figures for this?

What scale were those old micro collection figures?

Also? Does anyone know where I can get 1/48 figures for this?

What scale were those old micro collection figures?

If you want star wars miniatures you should look at FFG Star Wars Imperial Assault boardgame and it's expansions. It's not exactly 1/48, but it's pretty close and the figures are much better detailed than WOTC clix figures. If you could track down Knight Models Star Wars line - they'd be perfectly scaled and the most detailed, but come at a steeper price as I don't think they hold the license anymore.

Actually - there is a thread on boardgamegeek about replacing the in game AT-ST (from imperial assault) with BanDai's for more accurate scale representation. Might be of itnerest to you.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1311376/replacing-undersized-st

Here is a good armor weathering video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c-5ZYUAk6A
It is by AK /Mig and has lots of techniques, products used and recipes for your own homemade filter/wash/streaks mixtures.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
So I watched that at 3 am. Fantastic. Do you think they would dull coat between layers?

In all honesty, I've done very similar stuff already with oils instead of purchased filters and such.

Do you know much about armor preshading? Is it any different than simply using black? I always assumed that there would be colour involved.

I find it interesting that they did their chipping by adding the paint, rather than removing it

If you want star wars miniatures you should look at FFG Star Wars Imperial Assault boardgame and it's expansions. It's not exactly 1/48, but it's pretty close and the figures are much better detailed than WOTC clix figures. If you could track down Knight Models Star Wars line - they'd be perfectly scaled and the most detailed, but come at a steeper price as I don't think they hold the license anymore.

Actually - there is a thread on boardgamegeek about replacing the in game AT-ST (from imperial assault) with BanDai's for more accurate scale representation. Might be of itnerest to you.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1311376/replacing-undersized-st
Thanks!

I think about that a lot. Virtually every element of ESB, from the model design to the set design to costumes to the actors... everything was perfect. :)

I use a light acrylic Matt coat between steps to seal it. Here is an Airfix 1/72 F4f I am working on with all the steps in the video. A lot of my washes are homemade too
0902a0e6719110498f72538d1d544bfe.jpg

As far as Armour preshading goes, I think the black and white technique works best, especially with a mostly Grey paint scheme as on the AT-ST. MIG has a leaflet describing it here:
http://www.migjimenez.com/en/acrylic-sets-six-colors/537-black-white-technique-set.html

It is near the bottom of the page under the download section.

I am in no way an expert, but these techniques are relatively easy for me to do and provide pretty good results.

I use a light acrylic Matt coat between steps to seal it. Here is an Airfix 1/72 F4f I am working on with all the steps in the video. A lot of my washes are homemade too
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160601/0902a0e6719110498f72538d1d544bfe.jpg

As far as Armour preshading goes, I think the black and white technique works best, especially with a mostly Grey paint scheme as on the AT-ST. MIG has a leaflet describing it here:
http://www.migjimenez.com/en/acrylic-sets-six-colors/537-black-white-technique-set.html

It is near the bottom of the page under the download section.

I am in no way an expert, but these techniques are relatively easy for me to do and provide pretty good results.

Thanks! That looks fantastic. Even though I love the sci-fi stuff the most, the real world models I see really take paint and detail to the next level

I did a black coat today. I've decided to follow some armour techniques for this, rather than ilm style.

It's a bit experimental for me but if figure, why not?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back