My Steampunk Obi ANH saber.

Howard

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Most of you know me for my cut away saber builds and general Obi ANH saber obsessiveness over the years.
Well, a while ago, they were having a clear out where I work, so I grabbed a few bits and pieces and brought them home.

When I went through them, an idea struck me, and I began working on this idea - a Steampunk Obi ANH saber.
I didn't want to go all out cogs and gears and rivets, I wanted to maintain the overall 'feel' of the original, but with a definite Steampunk look.

So, here's the result. I thought the build would take a couple of weeks - but it ended up taking almost three months.
I'm happy with the way it turned out, as I imagined it from the parts I had at hand.

It's all metal and wood, the calc strip a real one that I cut down.

Just for a bit of fun - can anyone recognize the parts used?

steamobi1a.jpg

The 'grenade' section's a piece of rosewood. It was naturally weathered then rubbed with rusty wire wool to give it the rusty wood look.

steamobi1b.jpg

As with my cut away builds the devil's in the details - so I used brass watch cogs in the 'emitter' section to simulate a rotation.

steamobi1c.jpg

I couldn't resist putting a lab grown diamond in the emitter housing - again, something I usually do with my cut away builds.
Give's the saber a bit of bling.

steamobi1d.jpg

The bubble strip has a button next to it - anyone know where the button comes from?

steamobi3.jpg

I couldn't resist detail behind the bubble strip.
Those cogs are magnified so you can guess their size.

steamobi4.jpg

The pommel with 'O' ring.

steamobi5.jpg

steamobi6.jpg

I'll post a couple of other detail shots later.

Thanks for looking and as always - all comments welcome.

A BIG shout out and thanks to member thd9791 who provided me with the brass windvane sleeve which sits above the grenade section.
The entire build would not have worked without this part! Cheers!

Very cool. The button next to the bubble strip reminds me of the Seagull knobs for the Luke Macros (except this one looks like brass).

Super cool! I really like that at first glance, it totally looks like an Obi saber, but once you really look at the details, it's all different.

Well done!

Glad it went to good use! This is SEXY saber! The devil really is in the details, I'm astounded! (Does the pipe/rod for the neck run all the way through? Since a real grenade has a screwed on neck, I always have trouble engineering a wide grenade and skinny neck in hardware builds :lol )

Hi mate, and thanks for the comments and again for the part!
The neck has a fairly short rod epoxied into it, and that's then epoxied into the wood.
I used a LOT of two part epoxy!
Will email you later today.

Nice piece, thanks for showing it off. I feel certain I recognize a ring pull type drawer/wardrobe door handle? and posssibly part of a trophy?

Thanks, Probe Droid!

3 CELL PO. Yes, the 'O' ring and pommel end is a drawer handle.

Yes Scott D - it's from a Seagull. I used part of the camera's fake leather covering for the insert
piece on the 'clamp' area, just for continuity - seen below.

The 'pommel' body is a section from an old chandelier.
The 'grenade' section is one of the legs from that same piece of furniture the drawer handle came from. This took the most amount of
work to get it to resemble a frag body.
The 'neck' section is a brass garden hose nozzle.
The windvane sleeve from a camera.
The emitter is from an antique oil burner, (hence the natural weathering) as is the clamp area.

Here's a pic of the parts with the saber.
All weathering is natural - no paint at all.

obisteam13.jpg

Here's a comp pic with the original - I came close to matching the overall size and dims.

Obisteamcomp.jpg

And here's a few more detail shots.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

steamobi2.jpg

obisteam10.jpg

obisteam11.jpg

Looks cool, but... Maybe it's just my odd sensibilities, but so much of it looks backwards to me. The forward grip should taper toward, not away from, the emitter end. That pommel piece could be flipped as well. Not that it isn't great, but I'd have done it a little differently. Good job none the less.

Cheers Hemadew!

Thanks Tan - I tried both, on numerous occasions but neither really worked for me.
The 'pommel' section had to have the cut outs at the rear, and the circumference of that end piece fitted the handle ('O' ring) perfectly.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back