Nightwing suit for DragonCon

doubleedge31

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and this is my first post!

I'm gearing up for DragonCon and have always wanted to attend a con as Nightwing. I'm not thrilled with the design of the zentai suits I've found online (the pattern seems kind of off?), but I still wanted to go with a version of the suit that was true to Dick Grayson's acrobatic roots, rather than a thicker, armored version. It always seemed that the upper body portion of the suit would be hardest to do, and I considered many different options for how to do mine. Ultimately I decided to buy a blue compression shirt from Walmart for $14, a couple $5 black fabric markers from JoAnn's/Michael's, and color the **** out of it! Pretty time intensive, but simple.

Here's what I've got so far, I'll post more as DragonCon approaches! Whatchuguys think?

I'll be tucking this shirt into black compression pants, hiding the waist band of the pants with a black utility belt.

Attachments

• NW angle.jpeg
    NW angle.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 572
  • NW front.jpeg
    NW front.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 546
  • NW profile.jpeg
    NW profile.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 391
That turned out very well! I like the fact the blue and black meld very seamlessly together.
Great job on all the hard work of coloring that blue compression shirt to mostly black.

Are you having a tough time matching the colored black parts of the shirt to solid black bottoms or is the black of the shirt a pretty neutral shade of black that matches everything?

Wow That was a lot of marker work. It looks great. One concern tho the ink may want to come off on you & possibly fade/bleed.
I know you can work up a sweat on hot days in September downtown Atlanta. The compresstion shirt will want to wick when you start to sweat.
I bet you have already thought of that I just had to throw my 2 cents in.
Still looks great can't wait to see the whole outfit. I wll be attending dragon con might see you there.

Are you having a tough time matching the colored black parts of the shirt to solid black bottoms or is the black of the shirt a pretty neutral shade of black that matches everything?

Thanks! I'm actually going to have a dark gray utility belt as part of the suit, so hopefully that'll break up the shirt and pants a bit and distract the eye from making too critical a comparison. The black of the shirt is fairly neutral from a few feet away - as you get nearer, you can see variations and slight streakiness but it creates an interesting texture.

Wow That was a lot of marker work. It looks great. One concern tho the ink may want to come off on you & possibly fade/bleed.
I know you can work up a sweat on hot days in September downtown Atlanta. The compresstion shirt will want to wick when you start to sweat.
I bet you have already thought of that I just had to throw my 2 cents in.
Still looks great can't wait to see the whole outfit. I wll be attending dragon con might see you there.

Good call - will have to test that out a bit. The fabric marker is supposedly washer-proof so hopefully moisture won't affect it too badly. Yup, seeya there!

great idea to use a marker to make this. i think this turned out very well.

Thanks!

Gotta love a good cheap build - I agree, most of the zentai's are a major disappointment (I'm staying far away from the Man of Steel ones)

well, here's how it turned out! just five pieces to the costume:

1) gotham 100 boots
2) black compression pants
3) blue compression shirt with lots of black sharpie
4) mask cut out of a plastic dark knight mask
5) tactical belt/harness made out of nylon strap, with utility pouches and buckle made out of spray-painted foam paper
Nightwing&Starfire.JPGBatman&Nightwing.JPGNightwingStarfireRaven.JPG

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back