Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

Yeah I am a anti-Facebook person. You’ll never see me back on there again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing work on the V2 Halliwax! I am working on mine now. I really like the glove too, where did you get it?

I got it off amazon, it’s not a exact match, but pretty damn close. I am working on a display for it, should be here Wednesday

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SFX0HY?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

See if that link works for ya ;)

I know you're not on Facebook, but Brandon has an account and you can reach him there personally.

Thanks Roy, times like this suck not being on there. But I still can’t bring myself to go back..

I can't even deal!

Deal? Geeesh here’s the trouble maker again, now he’s trying to deal in my thread. What is this world coming to :p

Anyone have an opinion on cellulose paints? I've been recommended to get this as its tougher than enamel apparently. Really struggling to find a matt enamel lacquer in the UK, everyone is gloss. I have found a matt cellulose lacquer on ebay though.

...rustoleum flat black... matte clear... done!

I keep seeing everyone fearing the paint coming off...

Prep right and it will be fine.. my props are shelf queens, so I can’t say for myself

But my friend either plays with his every single day...hasn’t had a single problem

...rustoleum flat black... matte clear... done!

I keep seeing everyone fearing the paint coming off...

Prep right and it will be fine.. my props are shelf queens, so I can’t say for myself

But my friend either plays with his every single day...hasn’t had a single problem

I'd love to get rustoleum matt clear but the only rustoleum matt lacquer for sale in England is acrylic so I'm forced to buy alternative. There are no matt clear enamels in the country, only gloss and no rustoleum enamel at all. I used rustomleum's acrylic matt lacquer after I received the hilt weathered by RPK as the paint was falling off the more I handled it and the acrylic lacquer one looked ok but was starting to peel when handled within a month :-( Options are acrylic or Cellulose I'm afraid.

Also I'm sorry to ask so many questions and you'll update the post in due course.... The rungs (grenade section), how do you recommend to remove the paint to expose the metal? Is it removed with a thinner once dried or chipped off? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

For the rings you can cut thin strips of masking tape and wrap them before you paint. then just peel off and clean up any overspray with a cotton swap and alcohol (ipa / isopropyl alcohol / rubbing alcohol) or acetone, etc.
Or if you painted the whole thing, jut use a paper towel or a disposable dish sponge (scrubby side) with some acetone or alcohol and gently wipe them clean.

I'd love to get rustoleum matt clear but the only rustoleum matt lacquer for sale in England is acrylic so I'm forced to buy alternative. There are no matt clear enamels in the country, only gloss and no rustoleum enamel at all. I used rustomleum's acrylic matt lacquer after I received the hilt weathered by RPK as the paint was falling off the more I handled it and the acrylic lacquer one looked ok but was starting to peel when handled within a month :-( Options are acrylic or Cellulose I'm afraid.

Also I'm sorry to ask so many questions and you'll update the post in due course.... The rungs (grenade section), how do you recommend to remove the paint to expose the metal? Is it removed with a thinner once dried or chipped off? Thanks in advance.

First off don’t EVER feel sorry for asking questions!! We are all here to create, and we can’t create with out learning, how does one learn? Asking questions

Don’t ever feel like your bothering me! I may take a little longer to reply now, but I’ll always try and point you in the right direction

Please feel free to ask any questions you like, if I can’t answer them, the pros will

As for the paint, dude that sucks!! I’ve never heard such a thing... do you have a air brush? If you paint a lot and want a matte finish you could always buy a airbrush and use tamiya paints

With what happened to your rpk... I now see why your paranoid about the paint falling off..

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, prep is everything.. along with protection! Always use protection!! ;)

And what I mean by protection is a clear coat

Cleaning the piece your going to paint is the ticket..

Like TrooperTrent’s said, clean it with some rubbing alcohol, and wear gloves!! If you clean it, then handle it your only putting oils from yours hands back on the saber.. defeating the whole process

I’m not bull****ting anyone, I can’t testify myself because all my Props sit on a shelf. But my buddy ethan uses his every day... he hasn’t lost a single chip.

When I was working on trents, that thing was handled a lot as well.

When you have a good clean primed surface, use the right paints and sealers, nothing will happen to it

Hell my starkiller v2 Gen1 has seen more action then anything else, and it still has all its chips still. And that thing has been all over the place

As for painting the ring section I tape them off.

7effd2c67af23761fc912de099e75083.jpg

When I’m done spraying I then rub a popsicle stick over the edge to roughen the edge of the paint. So it doesn’t look so sharp, and more real

If u have any questions please feel free to ask.

Last I knew rustoleum was an enamel paint?

Some guys at The Custom Saber Shop fourm told me to try clear automotive primer. That's stuff is nice. So far I haven't had anything peeling/scraping/flaking off. Also I was informed that most paints, even though they say dry to the touch in an hour or two. And fully cured in 24 hours. Or something along those lines. Everyone I talked to stressed, that you let things cure for a good week or so.

First off don’t EVER feel sorry for asking questions!! We are all here to create, and we can’t create with out learning, how does one learn? Asking questions

Don’t ever feel like your bothering me! I may take a little longer to reply now, but I’ll always try and point you in the right direction

Please feel free to ask any questions you like, if I can’t answer them, the pros will

As for the paint, dude that sucks!! I’ve never heard such a thing... do you have a air brush? If you paint a lot and want a matte finish you could always buy a airbrush and use tamiya paints

With what happened to your rpk... I now see why your paranoid about the paint falling off..

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, prep is everything.. along with protection! Always use protection!! ;)

And what I mean by protection is a clear coat

Cleaning the piece your going to paint is the ticket..

Like TrooperTrent’s said, clean it with some rubbing alcohol, and wear gloves!! If you clean it, then handle it your only putting oils from yours hands back on the saber.. defeating the whole process

I’m not bull****ting anyone, I can’t testify myself because all my Props sit on a shelf. But my buddy ethan uses his every day... he hasn’t lost a single chip.

When I was working on trents, that thing was handled a lot as well.

When you have a good clean primed surface, use the right paints and sealers, nothing will happen to it

Hell my starkiller v2 Gen1 has seen more action then anything else, and it still has all its chips still. And that thing has been all over the place

As for painting the ring section I tape them off.

When I’m done spraying I then rub a popsicle stick over the edge to roughen the edge of the paint. So it doesn’t look so sharp, and more real

If u have any questions please feel free to ask.

Last I knew rustoleum was an enamel paint?

Danny I've just sent You a pm, would You please take a look?:angel:angel:angel

Regards,

Alberto

Danny I've just sent You a pm, would You please take a look?:angel:angel:angel

Regards,

Alberto

Sure did, I have a very busy job. So I only check the forum twice a day now, instead of every 30 seconds like I use to be lol

Some guys at The Custom Saber Shop fourm told me to try clear automotive primer. That's stuff is nice. So far I haven't had anything peeling/scraping/flaking off. Also I was informed that most paints, even though they say dry to the touch in an hour or two. And fully cured in 24 hours. Or something along those lines. Everyone I talked to stressed, that you let things cure for a good week or so.

Some r2 builders use that clear primer on their aluminum builds

I honestly never heard of it until I joined the r2 builders club. And I’ve been in the automobile field my whole life, thought it was pretty wild

It works for them real well

Sure did, I have a very busy job. So I only check the forum twice a day now, instead of every 30 seconds like I use to be lol

LOLL:lol

I know the feeling! Thank You.
Just sent You a reply mate, need another reply from You though:angel

Regards,

Alberto

Last edited:

Hey gang, anyone on dans new V2 adaptive kit run, I wouldn’t hesitate on getting a stencil kit from trent.

He mentioned there may be a small wait period before the next batch, so I’d grab them now

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TrooperTrent

Trent also makes those wicked gaffers tape adapters, if your wanting to copy the Facebook profile picture that is also a great little greeblie

Alright gang, I got a few messages of what exactly is involved with locking the 2 sections together. here is a quick video explaining how to do it

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey Denny, don't forget to send me Your address in pm, please!

Regards,

Alberto

Wicked sick today... did some training early yesterday morning with a local racer... then worked on finishing up the stencils, and bluing a warmachine scope

No luck with the scope but cycling in the heat, then all the fumes (even wore my mask) got me sick..

Gonna spray this sucker in the morning and start chipping tomorrow night. One step closer

2c6373c1b1d8267ac7c591bbd737edf2.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back