Things you're tired of seeing in movies

There is that one lone actor who goes home to his small apartment in the big city overlooking the elevated train. He opens a bottle of whiskey, tosses the cap on the counter, pours himself a glass, usually followed by wiping his forehead, and then lays down on the couch. He closes his eyes and listens to the sounds of the city roll by as the bright red neon sign fills the room.

I've had many a day at my last position and this one where it ended in a similar fashion. Come home late from work, grab a beer or open a bottle of something from the fridge/freezer. Proceed to pour a drink or open said beer and either sit on my couch and stare at nothing or stsnd in the kitchen and drink in silence to decompress.
No neon signs outside, but sometimes I do play some jazz or blues.

I've had many a day at my last position and this one where it ended in a similar fashion. Come home late from work, grab a beer or open a bottle of something from the fridge/freezer. Proceed to pour a drink or open said beer and either sit on my couch and stare at nothing or stsnd in the kitchen and drink in silence to decompress.
No neon signs outside, but sometimes I do play some jazz or blues.

Well... All I can say is close the blinds. We're tired off seeing you do this over and over. J/K of course! Pour me a glass! ;)

militiary vehicles with a 50cal on top and a guy standing up behind the weapon. vehicle jumps or crashes into other cars and the guy standing up is just fine.

every hero/bad guy being able to drive/fly/operate anything they need.

perfect knowledge of any unknown alien technology

The instant neck snap from twisting someone's head. Gets me every time.
I'm told this isn't as easy as movies and television make it seem; I've never tried it myself. However, in a similar vein, a good friend who's a former firefighter/paramedic/EMT says it's surprisingly easy to decapitate someone.

I'm told this isn't as easy as movies and television make it seem; I've never tried it myself. However, in a similar vein, a good friend who's a former firefighter/paramedic/EMT says it's surprisingly easy to decapitate someone.
It's not. There's a lot of muscle around the spine including the huge trapezius that's anchored to your trunk protecting your spine. Also the cervical spine has a tremendous range of motion and has multiple points of articulation. You'd have better luck trying to dislocate their shoulder by twisting someone's arm. If your subject is conscious and moving around good luck with that. That being said, there is one way to snap someone's neck with your bare hands but it doesn't involve twisting. I feel uncomfortable describing it here but I'm sure you can Google it if you really want to know.

How bout the old "i calculate the odds of success at "blah blah xxx to 1" by a computer or robot or supersmart alien. I'm pretty sick of that.

It's not. There's a lot of muscle around the spine including the huge trapezius that's anchored to your trunk protecting your spine. Also the cervical spine has a tremendous range of motion and has multiple points of articulation. You'd have better luck trying to dislocate their shoulder by twisting someone's arm. If your subject is conscious and moving around good luck with that. That being said, there is one way to snap someone's neck with your bare hands but it doesn't involve twisting. I feel uncomfortable describing it here but I'm sure you can Google it if you really want to know.
I can't imagine a scenario in which I'd need to know how to snap someone's neck, so I'm not really interested. Besides, there are simpler ways to temporarily disable most people that don't involve manslaughter charges. :D

OK... this scares me just a little ;)
Nahhh, I'm a wimp.

I dunno, I've had a crick in the neck before where I seriously thought it was my neck breaking. Like being hit in the neck by a bolt of lightning! What is a crick in the neck anyway? Some kind of muscle spasm or something? Sure feels weird and painful.

This may have been posted... BUT

When movies today STILL try to use the Baddie saying something evil and dastardly which is ALWAYS followed by the perfectly timed lightening and thunder which of course is then followed by his / her evil laugh!

For once I would like to see a series end, for ex Star Trek, where our heroes find themselves in a situation where they are unable to get out. They can't change the warp core, or modify the dish, or blast a ray of emissions to whatever it is that's doing something. They are stuck and the realize the end is coming. That would be an interesting finale.

I'm sure it's been mentioned in the last 140+ pages, but reminded me again last night watching Jack Reacher:

When a giant SWAT team or whomever comes bursting into a room, in full tactical gear and armor, and here comes Mr Lead Detective/Officer/Authority figure running right in alongside them with their little ol' pistol drawn, and wearing nothing but a plain ol suit and tie.

For once I would like to see a series end, for ex Star Trek, where our heroes find themselves in a situation where they are unable to get out. They can't change the warp core, or modify the dish, or blast a ray of emissions to whatever it is that's doing something. They are stuck and the realize the end is coming. That would be an interesting finale.

doomsdaymachine_240.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back