The Martian Space Suit

I've reviewed my awards screener, and I can't find any part of the scene where they show the Ares V mission logo. Suits are pretty non-descript.

Bummer. Wishful thinking. I guess I could just come up with an original design like I did for Taiyang Shen and IRIS, but fans want their replicas...

Maybe extra features on the Blu-Ray/DVD release?

10-20-2015 10-25-38 PM.jpg20151102_223830.jpg
It looks to me like the hoses on the left might be what I have on the right. this is a 1/2 inch hose covered in "wire loom". usually used to bundle electrical cables.

Last edited:
That looks pretty close, and would probably work. Does it have the seam along one side of it like the stuff on the suit has? That seam is what I have been wondering about myself.

Finally got the ARES IV patches in and up in the Junkyard. Note that they are for decoration, and are NOT to scale for the final EVA suit...

ares_iv_03.jpg

Attachments

• 2015-11-02 18.11.42.jpg
    2015-11-02 18.11.42.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
That Flexo F6 is probably good enough for most people. But if the little details matter, I don't think that is the right one. If you look real the weave has multiple sizes to it on the suit, and the F6 is more uniform.
sleeve.PNG

That Flexo F6 is probably good enough for most people. But if the little details matter, I don't think that is the right one. If you look real the weave has multiple sizes to it on the suit, and the F6 is more uniform.
View attachment 550339

I agree, it seems to be of some sort of weaved flat plastic fiber mesh and sewn into a tube. Looking closer at the seamline it looks like black thread instead of what I initially thought was the edge of a cable sock.

I think it's a custom modification that won't be easy to replicate so I'm willing to go for F6 as a temporary solution.

I agree, it seems to be of some sort of weaved flat plastic fiber mesh and sewn into a tube. Looking closer at the seamline it looks like black thread instead of what I initially thought was the edge of a cable sock.

I think it's a custom modification that won't be easy to replicate so I'm willing to go for F6 as a temporary solution.

I agree. I don't think it's a cable protector tube since you wouldn't need a seam for those. They can just expand.
The material for the tube looks a lot like one of the belt materials in that it's a "double" weave.

Like this:
stock-photo--dimensional-woven-composite-structure-36580948.jpg
Source

Searching for woven composite polyester/nylon/fiberglass gives pages like this one. So far I haven't found a composite material similar to the one in the tubing and harness, but I think it's a bit closer than normal wire shielding. The page linked also sells tapes with a similar structure to the one used on other parts of the suit, like the boots and webbing, so it might be worth looking into as well.

I think that might still be a cable sleeve. It is very similar in style to the F6 previously mentioned, just the weave is different. I plan on just using a regular cable sleeve to start out, and if someone finds something better, swap it out.

I took all of the reference photos being posted, and organized them all into a book - sorted by the various parts of the costume. Hopefully this will help during the assembly process, although I kept the original resolutions of all the images and tried to minimize cropping for layout reasons to trivial parts of the images (non-costume areas of the pictures), so you should be able to zoom in pretty far on each image while still retaining clarity, if needed. If there are any changes/additions you'd like made, let me know. I limited the content to screengrabs, publicity/production stills, and the picture dumps from @jontom and @Frank Ippolito, mainly because I wanted a guide to help me assemble and finish the costume, using other pics on this thread to identify parts. Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByIGfquakAu5NXpYVnFnTVFaRWM/view?usp=shaing

Awesome work! Would it be much work to make a version without spreads so that every page is a single page? There's some print on demand places that can do hardcover books, but most of them don't like spreads. Would be awesome to have it in book form.

Awesome work! Would it be much work to make a version without spreads so that every page is a single page? There's some print on demand places that can do hardcover books, but most of them don't like spreads. Would be awesome to have it in book form.

I was thinking the same thing, having printed reference photos would be very helpful in my build.

I can do that, I'd have to add a bit of bleed also. And I totally forgot about adding the helmet reference pics ThomasBunce took! I'll try to bang that out this weekend, because I'd like a print copy myself. Are there any print shops in particular you'd have in mind? I could look up their requirements and make any necessary changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can do that, I'd have to add a bit of bleed also. And I totally forgot about adding the helmet reference pics @ThomasBunce took! I'll try to bang that out this weekend, because I'd like a print copy myself. Are there any print shops in particular you'd have in mind? I could look up their requirements and make any necessary changes.

I've been very pleased with the services of http://www.peecho.com/
They have print shops both in the states and in Europe so you'll always get fast shipping. You can also do "stores" where you upload a PDF, chose if you want any fees for when people order stuff and then they do all payments, shipping, etc. Super handy. This means you could upload it yourself and send us the link, and we can order it from your "store", since it's all print on demand.

I did a test with your PDF yesterday and the quote that I got was $30 (including shipping) for a hardcover book. But I think their system thinks its 76 pages, so they price will go up if you "fix" it.

Is anyone currently working on the soles?

I found this thread where the users recommend Urethane as the material but I think the process of getting a bubbel free cast with minimal imperfections would be too difficult for me.

I was thinking of moddeling it and 3d-print it in rubber, myself or via shapeways,.
or make a master an then mold it in rubber.
Might use something I found at the hardware store (sicaflex) but haven't tested anything yet,. or started the model. Been finishing my Dredd belt :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back