Jedifyfe's HIC build Han in Carbonite for the lay person

Indeed that looks fabulous Brad :) ... And perhaps you can enlighten me . . . why the Han Solo in Carbonite prop is so popular to own and recreate?

Chaim

Indeed that looks fabulous Brad :) ... And perhaps you can enlighten me . . . why the Han Solo in Carbonite prop is so popular to own and recreate?

Chaim

Thank you. It's just one of those iconic props from Empire. It's a piece of art along with a prop. It also makes me feel like Jabba the Hutt. LOL

Rustoleum Matte Nickel as a base
black acrylic wash (rubbed in really well)
mists of Krylon Stainless Steel, Krylon Brushed Caramel Matte

the frame is Matte Nickel base
Mists of Rustoleum Granite primer, Krylon stainless steel

Brad your HIC has a great finish.

Could you explain how you did it in a bit more detail?

How you did the wash, the "rub", etc.

I have had mixed results with washes and am not familiar with what you mean by "rubbing"

Thanks

Tom

First off, I agree with the color(s).

Nailed it.

Second, the texture of the "carbonite" that you blended in looks perfect. Would love to see what all you did there. Definately a one o' these days project for me!

Third... Where the hell is this thing going to go??? Your office display space has ceased to be!

;)

@jameth1971

First I sprayed a vase coat of the Rustoleum Nickel and let that dry for a day. Then I took acrylic black paint, thinned it out a little with nail polish remover. Using a paper towel, I rubbed the black acrylic all over Han. Rubbing it into all the crevices and pits. I let that dry for a few minutes, then took a clean paper towel and used the nail polish remover to wipe away the excess. As I was doing that I would keep rubbing the acrylic washed areas until the black was less pronounced. I had to repeat it on certain areas a little more than others because of the varying textures of Han and the carbonite. Then I would hit it with light mists of the Krylon Stainless Steel. Lastly I would mist it in various areas with the Krylon Brushed Caramel color. I would step back and assess it every so often to make sure it was looking even. I hope that makes sense.

Today i glued the interior wood side panels in place. I will be copying another members bottom and top recesses with center vents and jet repulsor nossles.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,539
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,534
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,529
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
First off, I agree with the color(s).

Nailed it.

Second, the texture of the "carbonite" that you blended in looks perfect. Would love to see what all you did there. Definately a one o' these days project for me!

Third... Where the hell is this thing going to go??? Your office display space has ceased to be!

;)

Thanks Buddy. I posted what I did with the paint. The texture is a mixture of bondo and wood glue layers.

As for where it is going to...lol. That is the mystery. I have no idea.

@jameth1971

First I sprayed a vase coat of the Rustoleum Nickel and let that dry for a day. Then I took acrylic black paint, thinned it out a little with nail polish remover. Using a paper towel, I rubbed the black acrylic all over Han. Rubbing it into all the crevices and pits. I let that dry for a few minutes, then took a clean paper towel and used the nail polish remover to wipe away the excess. As I was doing that I would keep rubbing the acrylic washed areas until the black was less pronounced. I had to repeat it on certain areas a little more than others because of the varying textures of Han and the carbonite. Then I would hit it with light mists of the Krylon Stainless Steel. Lastly I would mist it in various areas with the Krylon Brushed Caramel color. I would step back and assess it every so often to make sure it was looking even. I hope that makes sense.

Today i glued the interior wood side panels in place. I will be copying another members bottom and top recesses with center vents and jet repulsor nossles.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=441788&stc=1http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=441789&stc=1http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=441790&stc=1

Yes, that all makes sense. Thanks so much.

It's looking incredible.

Thanks again

Tom

Well . . . I suppose the only logical place this could go is ...

... the cargo hold of Boba's 1:1 Slave 1 ... in the backyard, right? :)

Chaim

Center vents and repulsors are done. I will add some black paint for weathering. The idea for the vents and repulsors goes to azheat01
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking great! I'm in the process of building my own and I'm constantly looking at what others have done as I progress with my own build. You've given me some great ideas from a painting standpoint. Thanks for posting your work.

The round outer rings are insulating bushings from Home Depot. The inside "fan" is styrene that I cut and the center piece is the top of a sprinkler head.

Is this top section SA or made up???

- - - Updated - - -

Han's final resting place. Side panels and electronics will finish him up.

View attachment 442995View attachment 442996

That looks awesome. Ya don't need a window anyway. I have never had one in a display room/office not blocked. The wall space is too valuable.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back