Captain Marvel

Hold the freaking phone... Jill Pantozzi from the Nerdy Bird did some adjusting to the poster and...

IMG_20180918_073521.jpg

CHEWIE CONFIRMED!

I watched the trailer and Im kinda underwhelmed to be honest. Didnt get much from Brie Larson as far as acting range, and I REALLY hope she doesnt defeat Thanos single handedly or something, or else Im going to be pissed.

Hopefully when I see the movie Ill enjoy it. I had super low expectations with GotG and I was pleasantly surprised.

This is supposed to be the same character/timeline (Captain/Ms Marvel) that Rouge accidentally kills.....yes?

Ahh.. thank you!

I thought it was.. but with all the talk Capt vs Mrs.... male/female... etc.. I started to second guess myself! LOL

Does it state a timeline for this movie?

It's in the MCU. 1980'sish (maybe early 90's? I don't remember when Blockbuster got big) with a pre-blind-in-one-eye Fury. So, set a few decades after Captain America: the first Avenger, and a decade or so before Ironman 1.

Ahh.. thank you!

I thought it was.. but with all the talk Capt vs Mrs.... male/female... etc.. I started to second guess myself! LOL

It's in the MCU. 1980'sish (maybe early 90's? I don't remember when Blockbuster got big) with a pre-blind-in-one-eye Fury. So, set a few decades after Captain America: the first Avenger, and a decade or so before Ironman 1.

Most of the movie is supposed to take place during the 1990s.

I got chills because of the references. The original green uniform with the wrist blasters! And the helmet! When she punched the old lady I thought, "Skrulls!" Coulson's appearance was welcome. As good as de-aging was in Ant Man, Civil War and GotG 2 the technology seemed to be just crawling out of the uncanny valley. They were all great but this seems like another generation. Maybe it'll be different in the theater but SLJ, on my work monitor, looks flawless.

I understand the time constraints but it would have been nice to have had an entire film with her as just a badass space soldier (like the original Mar-Vell) before she acquires cosmic awareness and the powers that put her over the top.

Last edited:
I like the overall approach to this trailer,alot of jumps and cuts across a time line that really suggest something very different has happened to Captain Marvel,in the past, present and future of the MCU.

And they've really crammed in a great deal more than I was expecting, there certainly seems a greatter depth to the story than was originally suggested.

Marvel seem to have kept the productions values as high as usual. The seamlessly de-aged look of Fury and Coulson is astonishing, even in the brief glimpses of the trailer and it definitely has a late eighties/early nineties "Top Gun" vibe (helped by that video store!!!) to the Earth scenes.

And best of all Brie really looks the part. She looks like she thinks before she acts, tactically (like a fighter pilot) taking stock of the situation, in a lot of the quick scenes here. I think she might be one of the more complex Marvel characters we've ever come across. I like I said I like that approach.

Most of the movie is supposed to take place during the 1990s.

Thank you!

I'm trying to keep a timeline in my head

for the name/costume changes
Ronin before/after black facepaint
Rouge/Carol Danvers 'issues'..

and when/how they are trying to present this order to us..

Thank you!

I'm trying to keep a timeline in my head

for the name/costume changes
Ronin before/after black facepaint
Rouge/Carol Danvers 'issues'..

and when/how they are trying to present this order to us..
I'd be pretty surprised if they reference anything to do with Rogue. Not expecting any of that to be in this film, as it's been shot mostly before the buyout was happening.

One thing I have to say, I'm pleased that it appears the changes they're making to Carol's background look theoretically more interesting than the changes made to Diana's for Wonder Woman.

From the trailer, it appears that she still gets her powers as the result of an explosion of the psyche magnetron, but I also glean from what we're shown that she lived on Hala and was likely considered to be a pink-skinned Kree. The flash of her strapped into a machine with energy going to her head indicates some degree of memory tampering, and possibly loyalty conditioning she'll have to overcome, and might be an homage to the Rogue thing without actually involving Rogue.

As much as I loved Wonder Woman, and I DID love it, having Zeus bring her to life so she can murder things is, IMO, way less interesting than her accepted origin of Hera bringing her to life to grant Hippolyta's wish of having a child to love.

One thing I have to say, I'm pleased that it appears the changes they're making to Carol's background look theoretically more interesting than the changes made to Diana's for Wonder Woman.

From the trailer, it appears that she still gets her powers as the result of an explosion of the psyche magnetron, but I also glean from what we're shown that she lived on Hala and was likely considered to be a pink-skinned Kree. The flash of her strapped into a machine with energy going to her head indicates some degree of memory tampering, and possibly loyalty conditioning she'll have to overcome, and might be an homage to the Rogue thing without actually involving Rogue.

As much as I loved Wonder Woman, and I DID love it, having Zeus bring her to life so she can murder things is, IMO, way less interesting than her accepted origin of Hera bringing her to life to grant Hippolyta's wish of having a child to love.
Or is it because a man had a hand in her creation for the movie? ;)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back