Well, it looks like they made an updated version of Luke's ROTJ saber for TFA...

If they machined by hand (vs CNC) then the person making it could have been eyeballing it or took a little extra off by accident. So any unusual design aspects might not be planned.

I'm not saying the box is or is not symmetrical. I am simply stating that without knowing the details of its creation, we cannot accurately determine reason.

However, logically speaking, it is fairly safe to assume that if the person made it by hand and it was not symmetrical, their GOAL was most likely for it to be symmetrical when they were finished.

Having the thing tapered just doesn't make a lot of sense from a design standpoint.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Once again, my original statement stands true because: 1. You cannot know what the goal was. 2. Even if we grant the fact that the goal was symmetry, it does not guarantee the end results. If the purpose of the prop was simply a belt hangar or what would be one of many later on, then perfection may not be an issue for that particular item.

Once again, my original statement stands true because: 1. You cannot know what the goal was. 2. Even if we grant the fact that the goal was symmetry, it does not guarantee the end results. If the purpose of the prop was simply a belt hangar or what would be one of many later on, then perfection may not be an issue for that particular item.
I admit that you DO make a valid point.

I can see the box both ways, and crossing my eyes doesn't help ;) what do you guys think. Symmetrical or Asymetrical ?

In terms of accuracy? I could go wither way after staring at it and going back and forth all day. It seems one "wall" is thicker than the other perhaps, shifting the whole thing to the side a bit. Or maybe it's a trick of the light...In terms of what I'd WANT? Symmetrical!

If this run happens as planned and I get my hot little hands on one, I'm going to add one of the clamp cards Roy is planning, the cone knob and some weathering for an ultimate V1/V2/not-TFA hybrid.

It'll match my hybrid Graflex that's ANH styled but with 6 grips. (cause you know, I put holes in it pre-toe pic...)

I was just coming here to say the same thing... watching it now.

At 35:53 there's a similar shot of the MPP I'm guessing they acquired via Sym-Cha

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I'm not sure if those are props made for the production of the film or if they're old replicas of OT sabers that the documentary maker had on hand and used only for the transition shots of the documentary. The reason I say this is because it looks like the Vader saber at 35:53 is a MR saber, not and actual MPP--6 grips, chrome side bars and nail

Here's the shot in question
Luke rotj doc.jpg

I think that this saber is an EFX reveal. There seems to be a seam line around the base of the emitter showing where is separates. Also, the control box seems to match the EFX saber exactly, with the arrows being smaller than the TFA saber. Plus the TFA saber was weathered and this is pristine.

Last edited:
That appears to be the edge of the black rectangular button on the control box sticking out of the side of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that it is a trick of the light. It is actually just the black switch on the side of the box.

Might the neck be a seperate part, please?

Having it made from alu would be nice, but i would like the possibility to make me additional parts from brass and/or copper. That way it could be swapped with the daily mood. :)

If it´s not possible (due to price increase or turnaround time or whatever), no problem - the alu neck could be parted off and made new, too - but if it´s a seperate part from the start thats not needed.

The more pieces, the higher the cost. And since our references are so poor, I want to keep thr cost down. For $100 it's worth it to me to have a prop in my collection that might somewhere down the line ne shown to contain inaccuracies. For $200 or $300 I wouldn't want to move forward. That's why, unless there's a good reason for it, I'd keep the neck aluminum and a part of the sabet body

I know, just wasn´t sure in what range changes might be possible for 100-150.

I will just cut it and make the new parts myself. Shouldn´t have asked and create possible confusion, makes no difference if i machine it in brass and copper or in brass, copper and alu. ;)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back