AMT/Ertl USS Reliant 1:537 Kit - Questions

Double T

Sr Member
Hey there, folks.

I'm getting back into model building, and I recently had a chance to pick up the old AMT/Ertl Reliant kit for about five bucks.

I've tried Googling information on how to make this kit look the best I can (Aztec decals/masks, paint colors, etc) but everything I'm finding is a few years old, or talking about the other kits that have came out since then.

Even here in the modeling forum, I'm seeing older threads, and I know how companies can fade away after a few years.

So, do any of you distinguished folks have any tips or tricks for me? At least, any links that can point me in the right direction to help get this kit looking as good as I can?

Thanks!

EDIT- Added "Questions" to the title, per request!

Last edited:
Re: AMT/Ertl USS Reliant 1:537 Kit

The kit is pretty good overall, they got the nacelle differences correct (they are quite different from the Enterprise). The original ERTL version had a problem with the saucer edge, it was too thin and had stepped ridges running around it. The repop from Round 2 corrected this detail. There are after market sets to correct the old kits, though I can't think of the makers at the moment.

Yes, I found Federation Models, which has a resin kit to fix that issue. I'm hoping they are still around, and trustworthy?

I hope so, as I also see stuff for the Enterprise 1701-B, which was another kit I got for a fiver. ;)

Thanks for the response! It's appreciated!

Ooooohhh.... yeah, that's the stuff. Thanks, Galactican and division 6! Bookmarked, and bookmarked.

For the record, since it's a five buck kit that I'm using to get back into building models, I'm not too concerned with 100% accuracy. I just want it to look better than the pieces that come out of the box. ;)

If anyone is even watching this thread...

As I was looking for something completely different, I found a site called Don's Light & Magic. Looks like he has lighting kits, and the like.

Any experience with him? Heck, if he's a member here and sees this, hi!

Hey there, folks.

I'm getting back into model building, and I recently had a chance to pick up the old AMT/Ertl Reliant kit for about five bucks.

I've tried Googling information on how to make this kit look the best I can (Aztec decals/masks, paint colors, etc) but everything I'm finding is a few years old, or talking about the other kits that have came out since then.

Even here in the modeling forum, I'm seeing older threads, and I know how companies can fade away after a few years.

So, do any of you distinguished folks have any tips or tricks for me? At least, any links that can point me in the right direction to help get this kit looking as good as I can?

Thanks!

Been a while! Welcome back...

Both Federation Models and Don's Light & Magic are good reputable sources.

Jedi Dade

You are a gentleman, and a scholar. Thank you, my good sir!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I pop in, make a post, then disappear for about 9 months. ;)

I just recently realized I've been toting around a lot of kits for the past few years, and I'm looking for more things to go around the Geek Cave, so I'm back here a little more regularly, as I'm trying to get back into the swing of things.

A lot has changed in the last 10+ years since I've done anything serious.

Thanks for the welcome back, man!

If anyone is even watching this thread...

As I was looking for something completely different, I found a site called Don's Light & Magic. Looks like he has lighting kits, and the like.

Any experience with him? Heck, if he's a member here and sees this, hi!

That's one of the names I couldn't remember, also known as DLM. Good stuff.

That's one of the names I couldn't remember, also known as DLM. Good stuff.

Okay, definitely keeping the link in my bookmarks, then.

I just know our hobby has a lot of scammers, recasters, and less-than-desirable vendors that, if you don't know any better, you can get seriously snookered.

I desire not to be snookered, thank you very much! So, I appreciate the information! :)

Hey folks!

If you don't want to jump in, I understand, but I did a blog post about the research I've been doing on additions to this kit, including the info I've received from everyone here.

If you want to (and it's cool if you don't, I dig not wanting to visit an outside site), please take a look at this blog post, and tell me if there is anything you can think of that I'm missing, or if I'm looking at someone who's a real piece of work/doesn't deliver/recaster.

Have a good one, and thanks again for all of your help up to this point!

could you clarify in the ot title this is just question's. I thought you were doing a full build here on the rpf. which I was excited for, as I have the same kit unbuilt.

could you clarify in the ot title this is just question's. I thought you were doing a full build here on the rpf. which I was excited for, as I have the same kit unbuilt.

Done, and done! I didn't even think about that when I made the post. Sorry about that!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back