Rogue One Vader costume

I can agree that sometimes Lucas gets too much credit for every idea in Star Wars. Many other people were involved in the creation of what we ended up with. However saying Lucas doesn"t deserve any credit seems pretty off base. He was very involved in creating the basic ideas and selecting designs fleshed out by the artists.

I think one of the issues with the prequels was that he didn't have others giving as much input as the OT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The concept of the Force isn't exactly a very unique idea. Similar ideas about things being connected can be found in different religions. Add in a basic good vs evil concept and mystical telekinesis and you basically have the Force.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That doesn't change the fact that Lucas stole the idea of The Force from his college buddies own short film. I can't find the article where I read that online. I'll try YouTube and see if I can find a video.

That doesn't change the fact that Lucas stole the idea of The Force from his college buddies own short film. I can't find the article where I read that online. I'll try YouTube and see if I can find a video.
Lucas took inspiration from many things like legends, various real cultures, and religions. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a film by someone he knew also influenced him. However I don't think there is much that is truly unique about the concept of the force.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Something I don't get about the prop departments is why aren't they're using the licences replica.

I think that the Quasimodo facemask appearance is so awesome ! So great for Mac, and for the prop maker community.

Rogue One is scheduled just before ANH, why they didn't use the eFX LE for Vader ? I mean, it's based on Rick Baker's cast from Star Wars.
Wouldn't it be simpler to recast a LE for the production wether modding a fan made ?

Something I don't get about the prop departments is why aren't they're using the licences replica.

I think that the Quasimodo facemask appearance is so awesome ! So great for Mac, and for the prop maker community.

Rogue One is scheduled just before ANH, why they didn't use the eFX LE for Vader ? I mean, it's based on Rick Baker's cast from Star Wars.
Wouldn't it be simpler to recast a LE for the production wether modding a fan made ?

because they are prop people. They do this for a living. Why would they take a fan made or licensed collectible and punch their time card. The prop department made the helmets and were probably excited to do it. To me that's obvious and doesn't make sense any other helmet was used. If claimed, then it's a fabricated story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

because they are prop people. They do this for a living. Why would they take a fan made or licensed collectible and punch their time card. The prop department made the helmets and were probably excited to do it. To me that's obvious and doesn't make sense any other helmet was used. If claimed, then it's a fabricated story.

...are you calling me a liar?

...are you calling me a liar?

I don't believe I mentioned any names in my post. I stated my opinion to which I have a right to, intently not mentioning ANY names.... I have come to my opinion through rational thought and no evidence to the contrary.

If you feel differently then you are welcome to your opinion on the matter. I completely respect that.

I don't believe I mentioned any names in my post. I stated my opinion to which I have a right to, intently not mentioning ANY names.... I have come to my opinion through rational thought and no evidence to the contrary.

If you feel differently then you are welcome to your opinion on the matter. I completely respect that.

"To me that's obvious and doesn't make sense any other helmet was used. If claimed, then it's a fabricated story."

Since I'm the only person who's claimed that the helmet came from a fan helmet, it's pretty obvious that you meant me. You didn't need to mention names. As I've stated, it most certainly wasn't a case of 'punching their time card'. It was 3d scanned, slightly modified and then printed. It would have been FAR easier for them just to use it as it was.

You earlier stated that you were 'pretty sure' that Brian Muir was responsible for the R1 Vader, and asked for clarity. Clarity was provided, in a thorough explanation of how the helmet was created for the film (this is called evidence, btw). You then come along and say the helmet (and logically by extension, the whole suit) MUST have been created by the prop department, because that's their job, and your opinion on how prop departments work. Based no doubt on your extensive knowledge of prop departments the world over.

I respect your right to an opinion. I don't have to respect the opinion itself. Don't try and hide behind "Oh but I didn't mention a name" when it is perfectly plain who you are addressing when you say any claim that differs from what you think happened is a fabrication.

You know nothing on this subject.

"To me that's obvious and doesn't make sense any other helmet was used. If claimed, then it's a fabricated story."

Since I'm the only person who's claimed that the helmet came from a fan helmet, it's pretty obvious that you meant me. You didn't need to mention names. As I've stated, it most certainly wasn't a case of 'punching their time card'. It was 3d scanned, slightly modified and then printed. It would have been FAR easier for them just to use it as it was.

You earlier stated that you were 'pretty sure' that Brian Muir was responsible for the R1 Vader, and asked for clarity. Clarity was provided, in a thorough explanation of how the helmet was created for the film (this is called evidence, btw). You then come along and say the helmet (and logically by extension, the whole suit) MUST have been created by the prop department, because that's their job, and your opinion on how prop departments work. Based no doubt on your extensive knowledge of prop departments the world over.

I respect your right to an opinion. I don't have to respect the opinion itself. Don't try and hide behind "Oh but I didn't mention a name" when it is perfectly plain who you are addressing when you say any claim that differs from what you think happened is a fabrication.

You know nothing on this subject.

Okay Brother... I don't believe that story. You attack me and say I'm hiding?!!! I'm being polite. I don't have to hide... that's called having an opinion and being polite. I'm sorry you can't handle that and are obviously stalking my posts. I was never rude in any comments I made or trash talked or mentioned names..... and let's not get high and mighty and make assumptions. I don't know who all has made any claims.

Don't bully me to accept your story. Because I don't believe it I see no REAL evidence and I have a right to my opinion (based on evidence at hand) regardless of who likes or doesn't like it. I'm sorry you don't accept it. I won't have you suck me into an argument about it so please just drop it because I have no ill will towards you but that doesn't mean I have to believe your story or change my opinion because I won't without something that convinces me.... that's true with anything in front of me, not just Sci-Fi masks.

Okay Brother... I don't believe that story. You attack me and say I'm hiding?!!! I'm being polite. I don't have to hide... that's called having an opinion and being polite. I'm sorry you can't handle that and are obviously stalking my posts. I was never rude in any comments I made or trash talked or mentioned names..... and let's not get high and mighty and make assumptions. I don't know who all has made any claims.

Don't bully me to accept your story. Because I don't believe it I see no REAL evidence and I have a right to my opinion (based on evidence at hand) regardless of who likes or doesn't like it. I'm sorry you don't accept it. I won't have you suck me into an argument about it so please just drop it because I have no ill will towards you but that doesn't mean I have to believe your story or change my opinion because I won't without something that convinces me.... that's true with anything in front of me, not just Sci-Fi masks.

See now we're getting somewhere. You don't believe it. That's fine. But your initial post was to say that anyone who claimed to have a hand in the R1 helmet had made the story up (was a liar). That's rude, by my measure, or at the very least it is certainly not polite. Responding to points you make is not bullying, that's called having a discussion. Also, responding to your posts is not stalking you (2 of the 3 I've responded to quoted me directly don't forget).

So anyway. You don't feel the evidence presented is sufficient for you personally. I can totally accept that. What I do not have to accept is your statement that anyone who provides an account of how the helmet was produced that does not tally with your idea of how it should have been produced is making it up. That is a statement that I will challenge, whether it was my claim you were saying was false, or anyone else's. I am no more a fan of getting into an argument than you are, but you have to expect that if you make such a blatant challenge to a claims honesty, it will produce a discussion.

If you do not wish to discuss controversial statements that you make, I suggest you refrain from making them.

let's not get high and mighty and make assumptions.
Yes, good idea.
:behave

See now we're getting somewhere. You don't believe it. That's fine. But your initial post was to say that anyone who claimed to have a hand in the R1 helmet had made the story up (was a liar). That's rude, by my measure, or at the very least it is certainly not polite. Responding to points you make is not bullying, that's called having a discussion. Also, responding to your posts is not stalking you (2 of the 3 I've responded to quoted me directly don't forget).

So anyway. You don't feel the evidence presented is sufficient for you personally. I can totally accept that. What I do not have to accept is your statement that anyone who provides an account of how the helmet was produced that does not tally with your idea of how it should have been produced is making it up. That is a statement that I will challenge, whether it was my claim you were saying was false, or anyone else's. I am no more a fan of getting into an argument than you are, but you have to expect that if you make such a blatant challenge to a claims honesty, it will produce a discussion.

If you do not wish to discuss controversial statements that you make, I suggest you refrain from making them.

Okay, so just to be fair, I understand where Redman2187 is coming from.

Truth or not, it all does seem fishy, especially from a production stand-point. To buy a fan made helmet, scan it, modify it, and then use that as the final product just seems like a LOT of work for a movie helmet when it would be easier and more professional to either:
a) completely sculpt a Rogue One style helmet for the film
b) take the cast they got from you, modify it, and mold it
c) take a scan of one of the original helmets, or a scan that LFL currently has of a Vader helmet, modify it and print it. Anovos has access to scans from LFL.... why wouldn't the production team for Rogue One? As a matter of fact, the Anovos Vader helmet says in the description: Helmet is created from digital scans and reference from the original prop
So with all that being said, what you guys are saying is that the LFL production team for Rogue One bought a face plate from you guys, got it in the mail, scanned it, modified it, printed it, and then molded it? No offense, but that definitely sounds VERY fishy. Why would the team even bother with scanning it and modifying it in 3D? That's so much extra work, money, and time. And yes, I understand the idea of the argument that "Well, if they just modded the actual faceplate and then molded it, it would be re-casting" But 3D scanning something and then printing it is... well... the same thing, to an extent, but with even MORE work involved.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where seeing is believing. Unless a production team member steps up and says "yes that's what it was" or there was some sort of visual proof, I doubt you'll have EVERYONE on board. Because, it does sound fishy.

I don't believe you're lying, per-say. I believe that a member of the Rogue One production team probably bought one of your helmets for reference or what-have-you, but somehow has gotten confused on what it was used for... because, like I said, in my opinion (and, obviously, the opinion of others) the facts just don't line up....

Last edited by a moderator:

Truth or not, it all does seem fishy, especially from a production stand-point. To buy a fan made helmet, scan it, modify it, and then use that as the final product just seems like a LOT of work for a movie helmet when it would be easier and more professional to either:
c) take a scan of one of the original helmets, or a scan that LFL currently has of a Vader helmet, modify it and print it. Anovos has access to scans from LFL.... why wouldn't the production team for Rogue One? As a matter of fact, the Anovos Vader helmet says in the description: Helmet is created from digital scans and reference from the original prop
So with all that being said, what you guys are saying is that the LFL production team for Rogue One bought a face plate from you guys, got it in the mail, scanned it, modified it, printed it, and then molded it? No offense, but that definitely sounds VERY fishy. Why would the team even bother with scanning it and modifying it in 3D? That's so much extra work, money, and time. And yes, I understand the idea of the argument that "Well, if they just modded the actual faceplate and then molded it, it would be re-casting" But 3D scanning something and then printing it is... well... the same thing, to an extent, but with even MORE work involved.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where seeing is believing. Unless a production team member steps up and says "yes that's what it was" or there was some sort of visual proof, I doubt you'll have EVERYONE on board. Because, it does sound fishy.

I don't believe you're lying, per-say. I believe that a member of the Rogue One production team probably bought one of your helmets for reference or what-have-you, but somehow has gotten confused on what it was used for... because, like I said, in my opinion (and, obviously, the opinion of others) the facts just don't line up....

When there's controversy, I try to argue both sides and hope the Force lies in the balance of the two extremes.

On one hand... saying it "definitely sounds VERY fishy" and "it does sound fishy" implies a belief there is an intention to deceive. Saying that you don't believe Bookface is "lying, per-se" indicates you still think what is said is a lie. For you to make this out to be a lie until disproven by a production member is, I feel, unnecessarily and baselessly authoritative given that you know well that the production member would violate a signed NDA by speaking out, and it could be said that your argument essentially takes advantage of this person's legally-imposed silence. As kind as this production member has been with me to tell me things, suffice it to say that he has had a remarkable career so far that he does not want to have trashed because fans are arguing over a piece of resin and baiting him to respond.

On the flipside, you could very well argue that I or Bookface are taking advantage of this person's silence. However, this would be nonsense. Simply look at our track record and my 10 years of educating fellow Vader fans openly here and on The Prop Den. Simply look a few pages back on this thread and note that I told people I didn't consider all Quasimodos as suddenly having a direct connection to the R1 prop. At the time of this writing, I've not even published the fact of Quasimodos use on my own Facebook page. You've also not seen Bookface boost his prices to gouge fans.

It is best if we simply stick to the facts and have a conversation without insinuations because we can get our emotions attached to Vader discussions and cross swords too quickly.

If you are okay with this, then I will suggest simply saying that it's improbable, but not impossible, that the studio used fan source. The logic is that the studio behind Rogue One would have had access to the LFL Archives and some form of 3D scan of an original Vader. I'll also contribute to that: we've seen a fiberglass casting of an OT at LFL in the documentary of the making of the ROTS Vader, so clearly they do have an OT source. Yet those studied in Vader have indicated the R1 helmet isn't direct from an LFL OT source (i.e. there are some who can eyeball a TM, eFX and SL and instantly tell them apart).

But let's take a step back and look at this topic more generally and objectively.

I believe that Quasimodo was NOT alone where the Rogue One production used another source (even fan source) instead of an LFL source.

• The same could be said for the armor. Yet the R1 on-screen armor's shape is inconsistent with the originals.
  • The same could be said for the codpiece. LFL has a full ESB in the Archives they could have traced. Yet everyone notices the diaper.
  • The same could also be said for the cape. The OT pattern revealed the chest more. The R1 pattern seems to be a larger percentage of a full circle, resulting in too much material that covers the chest armor and the robe.
  • The same could be said for the TIE Pilots. To me, they looked slimmer overall than the originals.
  • I didn't freeze-frame, but a Death Star Droid type of droid was briefly in the film and something looked slightly off about it.
  • The Stormtroopers, as we know, are symmetrical, yet even though they mirrored one side, why was it that the side they scanned still didn't quite have the same awesomeness as an ANH or ESB original?

There are probably more examples. My personal theory is that the production members are SW fans themselves, and some collect replicas just like we do, and they needed to do things quickly and used what they had access to (i.e. their personal collections). Why all the trouble to laserscan a Quasimodo and then modify it? Well, the same could be said for Stromtroopers. The artists had the liberty to make tweaks to the Stormtrooper and idealize it. We're in a Hi-Def era with 4k already on the horizon, and the roughness of hand-finished props of yesteryear don't do well when magnified on the big screen. When something is laserscanned, an artist may have to re-topologize the surfaces and idealize them based on the production's visual standards. (It may save time simply working on one side, then mirror-flipping it to form the other half.)

So why wouldn't the production have access LFL sources for any of the above? Our assumption is that Disney's purchase of LFL included the Archives, but I've not been able to verify that this was part of the $4B deal. Some Googling results indicate the Archives are Lucas' private possession but do not provide sources. If this is true, Lucasfilm has to contact George Lucas for a separate arrangement for access to the Archives. (EA's Star Wars Battlefront shows that their team did gain access to the Archives, so we know access is possible). If Disney does own the Archives, then we'd to verify if they have a process or policy regarding property under one business unit being given access to another.

We are oblivious to all the issues the Production faced. I think the production did their best given what they had and what they did not have, and one crew member happened to own a Quasimodo.

If you've made up your mind there is deception, then please, by all means, disprove us by proving the Rogue One helmet was based on an LFL source. And although my intention is not to bother Brian Muir to settle an issue over - again - a piece of resin, he is also free to call me out if I am in fact a liar.

You don't have to agree with me, but hopefully, we can keep discussions factual and logical and enjoy a beer while at it! :cheers

Because I don't believe it I see no REAL evidence and I have a right to my opinion (based on evidence at hand) regardless of who likes or doesn't like it. I'm sorry you don't accept it. I won't have you suck me into an argument about it so please just drop it because I have no ill will towards you but that doesn't mean I have to believe your story or change my opinion because I won't without something that convinces me.... that's true with anything in front of me, not just Sci-Fi masks.

If your evidence was that Brian Muir was covered by various internet articles earlier on, subsequent documentaries and interviews after the Rogue One release do not mention Brian Muir being attached specifically to the Vader costume. I would really like to find one that does though.

If your evidence was that Brian Muir was covered by various internet articles earlier on, subsequent documentaries and interviews after the Rogue One release do not mention Brian Muir being attached specifically to the Vader costume. I would really like to find one that does though.

There are articles I will have to go back now to find where I read them. I'll find them. What I recall them saying was he was specifically brought in for Vader.

Rogue One is even on Brian's filmography on his website.
http://www.brianmuirvadersculptor.com/filmography.html

c0b7abbd4ed03e0317408bb43a406c3b.jpg

No, you've misunderstood the account. My understanding is that the creation of Vader's outfit was left a little later than ideal meaning compromises needed to be made on where some parts came from. Two members of the R1 production had Vader helmets in their own personal collections. One owned a Quasimodo ANH, the other provided two helmets of a different origin. All 3 helmets were loaned to the production by these two individuals.

I did NOT have the prop department for Rogue One knocking on my door asking if they could buy a facemask specifically for the movie, whether for reference or to modify.

Ultimately the Rogue One helmet was based on a Quasimodo facemask and a dome of separate origin. Again my information is that the mask was 3d scanned and edges and some surfaces were cleaned up before being printed. And even if they had taken it and moulded it without modification, I think any claims of recasting would have been nonsense. Darth Vader belongs to Star Wars, not to me.

As well, the Quasimodo helmet is quite unique in a couple of areas that have been replicated on the R1 mask. These features are there for anyone who wishes to do photo comparisons.

If you don't feel like this all adds up, or you feel you don't know me well enough to believe it without further evidence from others, I'm fine with that. Everyone is entitled to a healthy skepticism, but I do not have to tolerate anyone saying that I have made this all up.

I just read the May 2017 Newsletter on the FISD forum. It has an article about the R1 E11. They feel a few of the details which are different than ANH were based on the SDS E11. This appears to be another example of the film makers using non Lucasfilm resources.

The Anovos Vader helmet is more ESB based. This would not be an ideal starting point for an ANH style helmet.

Anovos scanned different props then worked on them in 3D as part of the process to create their products. Why would a similar approach not make sense for creating a prop that only appears in a few scenes?

Does Lucasfilm have an ANH Vader helmet in good condition? If not, using a well made fan replica would be a good head start.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back