Suicide Squad (Post-release)

How many of you, after seeing a movie, post it on RT? Im not even trying to be snarky or anything, Im genuinely asking.

I'm not sure how RT calculates audience scores beyond people who are members of the site and can up or down vote.

Last edited:
I think that was mostly up to interpretation. In my opinion I think that that was how she really sees him. Or maybe that she thought she could change him. I don't know really.

SPOILERS

I interpreted that scene to mean that Harley is a dreamer - she knows the reality, she accepts it, but she also is totally aware of what "normal" is, and craves it, just as she probably craves the unhinged and reckless lifestyle she chooses. She is totally connected to the "real world" as evidenced by the fact that she accurately diagnoses Deadshot almost lazily, as if its beneath her. But it bores her. Joker (possibly Bats too) are personalities that interest her, that make her feel alive. And therefore her ultimate happiness is with the Joker, with a family, in a weird disconnect to her current situation. She knows she'll never settle down like that I don't think, but it's still one of her dreams and desires. And yet she is also so truthful with herself that she, out of everyone in that bar, is the only one to tell Diablo to "own that ****" - in one breath she dreams about a family, in another she tells a guy to stop whining and accept that he killed his family. Heavy stuff. I thought that was pretty good characterisation. She is mentally stronger than most of the squad, easily. I don't think it was about changing Mr. J - what did she say afterwards? "He married me..." in an almost shocked voice? Like it was so unexpected to have experienced that, so I don't think she harbours any "change him" attitudes.

I enjoyed Wallers description, even though it devalues the Joker a little - "she's crazier than him...and more fearless" I think is what she said? Please correct if I'm wrong.

I still think it looks like flaming garbage.

But...

Ultimately critics reviews just aren't as important for sci fi or comic book films. As a fan base were far more likely to ask friends who saw it what they thought. It's the result of decades of critics just not even understanding our films.

@Fawbish - I agree with you a lot on the DC movies up to this point.

Like I said earlier I thought Suicide Squad started strong but ran out of gas and is a very inconsistent movie. Do I think it was a good movie? Not really but it's not the worst I've seen either. I'm not trying to elevate the public perception of DC movies because I read DC growing up I just think the criticism has reached the "mob" mentality level and taken on a life of its own. As to the tone of the DC movies I don't have a problem with them, I don't need to see boy scout Superman or Batman year one again, it's been done already and I don't need to see it again right now. I like the fact they're exploring the effect a man who can fly and is nearly indestructible has on the world. I like the older bitter Batman in BVS who is on the verge of finally going totally overboard and becoming the thing he has been fighting against. I agree that Man of Steel and BvS are highly consistent in tone and are a good beginning.

Just in case anyone thinks I hate Marvel let me say I've enjoyed the crap out of most of the Marvel movies. My point is that Marvel has had their failures as well. I thought the first X-Men movie was dull as hell, I actually like the second one a lot but it's still not the most exciting thing I've seen. Daredevil, Ghost Rider 1 and 2, The Fantastic Four not once but three times (four if you count the 1994 movie), X-men Origins: Wolverine, and Electra are not really good movies but no one said Marvel should stop and never make a movie again.

I will continue to support the DC franchise, I'm sure it will hit its stride. I just wish the studio executives would stop second guessing the people creating the films and let them do their work.

It sucks that we have to preface our opinion with qualifiers nowadays, but I suppose its nice that we all chat openly about it and have differing viewpoints.

I will also support the DCEU (not blindly, Suicide Squad was a slight personal disappointment, because I was expecting a bit much perhaps) because I absolutely love most of the interpretations so far. I love how much I've started to explore film in general because of these films, Man of Steel specifically, as that led onto listening to really interesting deconstruction/apologist podcasts, watching thesis' on it about certain themes that people have extracted etc. It's really made me appreciate just what goes into passion projects for film making and directing etc, and I think that is why I tend to have a more sympathetic viewpoint when it comes to mistakes or missteps. Reading that Snyder doesn't love a certain character over and over again is a pet peeve of mine.

Just FYI, you probs already know this but when people say Marvel nowadays they are almost definitely referring to MCU, which excludes your list of not great films (I agree with all, but I actually love the first Fantastic Four movie. It's terrible, but it was a COMIC book on the screen, and I have a soft spot for it) so just thought I'd mention that - sorry if thats condescending! Not my intent.

I completely agree that there is something in the mob mentality nowadays - not just against DC of course. I think its more a case of opinions are becoming so, so binary? You really have to LOVE or HATE something now, its insane. Nothing is allowed to be serviceable or "yeah, enjoyed that". Don't get me wrong, we all want amazing films time after time, but we also have to be realistic dont we! MCU doesn't produce ground breaking films again and again. It produces good to great movies that resonate well with the general audience, casual fans, and some hardcore fans alike - Jon Favreau is, I think, absolutely responsible for the consistent tone that was set for the MCU. Iron Man hit all the right notes. It just smashed it out of the park. From that point onwards, Feige (who was probably involved with discussions on tone and such with Favreau) knew that is where his audience was, that was his billion dollar check right there. And even with all that in house knowledge, they've still made duds. So how hard must it be to create an original comic book movie nowadays, with all that, have a unique identity and still make bank, without being MCU?? Insane. Thats not an excuse at all, but I'm happy with the tone and interpretations of the DCEU, because it's taking a good hard look at the characters, and giving us genuine interpretations within the real world. As we go along, we'll become more fantastical, and by the virtue of the story that is being told, our characters will become more and more classic as we go, whilst still retaining the original take. It won't be a smooth ride always but I'm enjoying it.

I'm looking forward to seeing Squad again just so I can start to get a better feeling for it. Nothing is going to save that final act for me though.

One thought I did have - Squad was very, very much like an actual comic on the screen. The exposition, the way the dialogue flowed - it was almost corny in some points - and yet that is exactly what I see in a good chunk of comics. Not corny writing, but its not always realistic, and its exposition heavy to get the story across. It might have been coincidence of course, but it resonated afterwards for me.

LOL
Personally I don't think it needs redeeming but that's just my opinion , which also includes not really liking any of the captian America movies.
But I don't love or hate SS or the Cap movies enough to go on a tirade either .

While I won't complain about seeing older girls dressed up however they want. I can already hear the parents of young girls putting their foot down on them dressing or rather non dressing up like Harley .
hell the way Harley swung the bat in the movie she should be called Bat Girl .!!!
I wanted to think you meant older girls. No parent of smaller kids should let them do the same - I know I wouldn't. My kids aren't even going to watch this film.

Thats the thing, I think a lot of people are going to see this once, because of the well made trailer, and Margot Robbie as HQ. Im interested in seeing what the drop off will be once word of mouth hits. Then again not sure, if people dont expect that much from their adaptations/IP's who knows. *shrug*

If you're just trying to redeem this film it's kinda working.

Really? Because when he says 'little', I'm pretty sure he means 'little'. There's a parent that posts on the Emerald City Comicon facebook group about her 11-year-old she lets cosplay as Suicide Squad Harley. *facepalm*

I'm looking forward to seeing Squad again just so I can start to get a better feeling for it. Nothing is going to save that final act for me though.

Yea, the final act was disappointing to say the least. A bit of fighting, a bomb and that was all it took to stop enchantress, pffff.

Leto is getting alot of flak for his portrayal of the joker but i liked his performance. But again disappointed about the lack of screentime he got.

Thats the thing, I think a lot of people are going to see this once, because of the well made trailer, and Margot Robbie as HQ. Im interested in seeing what the drop off will be once word of mouth hits. Then again not sure, if people dont expect that much from their adaptations/IP's who knows. *shrug*

Or that expectation can vary wildly and as @Fawbish pointe out above, it's almost a Fools Errand to try and satisfy all hardcore fan expectations considering the volume of material. What they can do is make it accessible for all audiences. This Margot Robbie character case in point, I don't read comics and have zero knowledge of her character but I did find her portrayal in the trailers compelling and it made me interested in seeing it but I couldn't tell you how she compares to her comic book iteration.

I wanted to think you meant older girls. No parent of smaller kids should let them do the same - I know I wouldn't. My kids aren't even going to watch this film.

no reasonable parent of smaller kids you mean .which leaves out like 90 % of parents nowadays it seems LOL.

my friend who has a 9 year old is going as batman this Halloween told me his niece wants going as Harley Quinn now after seeing the movie.

I did not think about it for a while then I realized his sister has no children over the age of 12.
so I looked up HQ outfits and they have plenty in children sized available already .

remind me of Rodney Dangerfield in Natural Born Killers .

"what are you wearing a trash bag and a broomstick ? "

I could not be the parent of a little girl I don't think I have the nerves for it LOL!

Really? Because when he says 'little', I'm pretty sure he means 'little'. There's a parent that posts on the Emerald City Comicon facebook group about her 11-year-old she lets cosplay as Suicide Squad Harley. *facepalm*
I didn't see "little." I forgot the times we live in that this could happen. See my later reply.

Just FYI, you probs already know this but when people say Marvel nowadays they are almost definitely referring to MCU, which excludes your list of not great films (I agree with all, but I actually love the first Fantastic Four movie. It's terrible, but it was a COMIC book on the screen, and I have a soft spot for it) so just thought I'd mention that - sorry if thats condescending! Not my intent.

Oh I'm well aware most people are referring to the MCU but that's not free from sub-par movies in my opinion either. I found Thor 2 hard to get through and didn't really care for Iron Man 2 or Avengers Age of Ultron all that much. They had their moments but I found they didn't stack up to the first movies.

With the list of non-MCU movies I was merely trying to point out that it didn't go well right off the bat for Marvel movies or comic book movies in general really. It has taken years to lay the groundwork for the MCU whether it be in the style of acting, the look and feel, whether to be to authentic to the comics or not, etc. That has been a huge process and really started with the 1978 version of Superman which was the first real attempt to seriously translate a comic to the big screen. When you're trying to create an all encompassing universe it's even more daunting with the various writers, producers, directors who all have to try to be on the same page. That's why I'm willing to cut the creators a little slack and have a little patience.

Or that expectation can vary wildly and as @Fawbish pointe out above, it's almost a Fools Errand to try and satisfy all hardcore fan expectations considering the volume of material. What they can do is make it accessible for all audiences. This Margot Robbie character case in point, I don't read comics and have zero knowledge of her character but I did find her portrayal in the trailers compelling and it made me interested in seeing it but I couldn't tell you how she compares to her comic book iteration.

The question there of course is which comic book iteration? It's not like characters in comic books have been written consistently over the years so really the movie makers are free to mix and match the various traits the character has exhibited over the years...which of course leads to more arguments and bitching among the fans if they don't use their favorite version of the character.

Leto should get some flak for his joker. He wasn't funny, had no one liners, a terrible laugh that is a mix of Adam west tv penguin and revenge of the nerds laugh. Didn't seem too bright or dangerous in a clever way. Looks like a juggalo pimp that should be drinking Faygo everywhere ( love me some rock & rye). Gets told his GF is in the city..so does a hahaha pitiful laugh. Why you laughing?..really nothing is funny there. He didn't even show a guy his toys as in the trailer. My wife loves Leto and she couldn't handle it. Not all the actors fault, just ****ty writing as she put it. Best bring your A game next time. Also if Batman is on the screen with you..you best drop a good line or call him batties.

I did get a good laugh at slipknot head popping off and his body hanging there tho.

Leto should get some flak for his joker. He wasn't funny, had no one liners, a terrible laugh that is a mix of Adam west tv penguin and revenge of the nerds laugh. Didn't seem too bright or dangerous in a clever way. Looks like a juggalo pimp that should be drinking Faygo everywhere ( love me some rock & rye). Gets told his GF is in the city..so does a hahaha pitiful laugh. Why you laughing?..really nothing is funny there. He didn't even show a guy his toys as in the trailer. My wife loves Leto and she couldn't handle it. Not all the actors fault, just ****ty writing as she put it. Best bring your A game next time. Also if Batman is on the screen with you..you best drop a good line or call him batties.

I did get a good laugh at slipknot head popping off and his body hanging there tho.

Yea but alot of leto's footage didn't even make the movie. He's been complaining about it in several interviews.

And having someone like Ledger play the role before you doesn't help either.

I want my $10 back.

This movie was an absolute mess. Horrific pacing and some terribly forced acting... to go along with some really strange - even stupid - story decisions. ...and that doesn't even start to touch base with all that was wrong with Suicide Squad.

As the trailers and previews rolled out, I had some hope for this. Could Margot Robbie be cute enough (in looks and wit) to carry this? Based on those spots leading up to the release, I would've guessed yes. But, in the theater that schtick wore off quick and it went from "cute" to forced and contrived. While she definitely had some moments, most of them just seemed to fall flat for me.

Along with HQ there was Will Smith doing what Will Smith does. Only now he's a bad guy.

Oh, I guess there were some other folks in SS, too and they all had their individual moments designed to assist our leads in totally predictable ways manufactured to not take too much of the spotlight off of our (anti-) heroes. And while all of that is happening we have the absolute worst Joker I've seen onscreen - they could have had a cosplayer doing a Cesar Romero impersonation and we would've had a better Joker. Leto's performance could've salvaged a terrible looking Joker - but, he didn't work for me, he never clicked.

...and then there's the actor paying Rick Flagg. I'm not sure if this guy even read the script as he seemed to be reading it for the first time and it made the final cut. The Enchantress wasn't much better and her weird dancing (or whatever was going on) at the end was just baffling and almost funny it was so bad and out of place.

But, beyond all that - the one thing that really frustrated me and hate this flick was Amanda Waller offing the agents in the control room. Just seemed so out of place, so random and unnecessary that it took me right out of the movie and shaking my head. This seemed to me to be more of a desperate cry of "take this movie seriously" than anything and instead just flopped there.

I saw it tonight and really liked it. Will Smith was good though I would have liked to seen more of why he goes back to killing each time. Maybe how he burned through all his cash etc. The movie did try to make it seem like he was going to quit when he is caught by bats. Overall though I liked his character. Harley Quinn was good. The whole outfit thing didn't bother me as the shorts really weren't that bad compared to what most girls wear today. The only eye roll moment was during a fight sequence they did a shot between her legs showing her backside in the shorts. It felt like it was done on purpose. I really liked the Enchantress portrayal before she released her brother. The situation they put them in seemed forced quickly though. I really liked Amanda Waller's character and initially I was disapointed to hear CCH Pounder wasn't cast but that was all washed away 5 minutes in. I don't remember seeing Slipknots back story in all of this which I guessed he wouldn't be around long because of it.

The joker - maybe some more screen time to flush him out but wasn't too sad to see him used as little as he was. I liked what they did with the color in the movie. It felt vibrant without being Batman Forever vibrant. Batman was good, real good. I'm ready for a stand-alone batman movie again. With him chasing the joker and Harley it felt like TAS to me but live action. Diablo stole the show however; his character you actually felt sorry for. Killer Croc - eh though it wasn't as bad as I initially thought seeing the trailers.

The CGI was good except for a few shots of the Enchantress and her brother at the end. It actually seemed like she was saying something else with her movement and mouth a couple of times. Her brother had a mix of Electro from amazing spiderman 2 and the lawnmower man during his fight scene which made me actually laugh during the movie.

Even with the CGI issue I'm going to see it again next weekend with my family,

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back