ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!)

The14thDr

Sr Member
I can't even remember the first time I watched Star Wars, but since I was a kid the one thing I've always wanted (aside from a full-scale Millennium Falcon of course ;) ) is a metal lightsaber replica.

And what better way to start my collection than with the one that kicked it all off.....

Luke's "hero" prop from ANH!!
39f42e7a6f49b9788c1b1cfa6533e551.jpg

This will be a complete scratch-build on a fairly small budget, but that doesn't mean I'm not aiming for screen-accuracy! I've been researching this prop for weeks to make sure everything is as close to the original as possible.

My dad and I spent 2 hours cutting, filing and shaping a piece of aluminium tube until we ended up with the basic Graflex shape.
8124c80ac6a8f84de6d42a973ac3f07b.jpg

b204d8f574bd06bae439c3996c8d8104.jpg

When I first got into this hobby real Graflex’s were the only option and replicas didn’t exist (except ICONS). Scratch building a Graflex has always been a dream of mine since the early days. I might still try it someday.

You’re off to a good start !

Thanks guys! I hadn't expected this to generate so much interest! Buying a real Graflex (or even a replica) is way out of my price range, and I've never worked with metal before so I'm hoping this will be a fun little challenge.

Thanks for the link Ridire Firean, definitely an interesting read (if only I had access to the same tools and equipment though - it would make my build much easier!)

Tomorrow I'll be taking a trip to the craft store to pick up some materials for the grips; in the meantime I need to order some aluminium sheet for the clamp and other details. Stay tuned. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @The14thDr ! If you haven't seen it already, check out @Jeremy.g 's Stainless Scratch-built GRAFLEX over at FX-Sabers...

https://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=rp0qmbroo1n9736n9vdoj02a02&topic=52217.0

ANYONE LOOKING FOR A SHOULDER PULLER... Check out the way Jeremy pulled it off!!!

Never seen that build before. Very interesting on how he pulled the bumps.

I honestly can’t believe the piece he used made the bump so perfect. I figured you would need a “mushroom” shape in order to achieve the goal u want

But I’m proven totally wrong here

I look forward to seeing the progress on this. I've got a few in the works myself. Two from aluminum tubes and one using a vintage Eveready flashlight for the bottom (the ends do look strikingly similar). The only thing I haven't licked is a good and readily available source for grip material (apart from the actual grip suppliers).

Are you planning electronics or a static prop? Also actual graflex clamp or build your own?
For the time being this will be a static build. I'll hopefully be building my own clamp from aluminium sheet - how hard can it be? [emoji6]

Hey, Tan Djarka! Do you have a thread for your lightsabers (metal scratch-builds seem to be few and far between)? I'm currently working on making my own grips, so look out for an update later this week.

Currently, no, I don't have any threads. As computer UNsavvy as I am, I don't even know how to upload a photo or how to attach them to a thread.

So far the only thing I've found is the stake from a yard sign, though they required a considerable amount of work to get them in shape. Some suggest using the tines of a plastic rake, but I've yet find any that aren't too narrow. I'm currently working on a set made from the clear plastic corner protectors for drywall and wall paper (available in most home improvement stores). Glue two sections back to back to form the T, cut to size, and paint them black. It's looking good so far.

Lowe's has a screen track that is plastic and can be trimmed to make t track if you are on a budget. I've cut and used it on my e-11 and home built sabers. Not as accurate as the track solder but I think it doesn't look bad.

Just a heads up on the guts/blade plug: I found some cabinet knobs at Lowe's #590593 1 5/8 nickel base knob and #241896 1 5/8 zolee knob. If you remove the knob part, the exposed stem has an inverted cone with a center stub that looks like the emitter's interior.

At first I was adamant on using windscreen wiper blades for the grips, but I soon realised they wouldn't give the right look for this build, so instead I decided to make my own from scratch.

I spent a while thinking about what materials would be best for this, and eventually decided on these basswood strips from Hobbycraft, which were luckily the perfect size for the grips (3x5mm).
cd7699e91e390336501df50b57ede13d.jpg

I cut these to a length of 92mm (3-5/8") and added the 30 degree bevels. For the base of the grips I used seven strips of hardboard measuring 92x13mm.
24db308a73da124e1706d86f60710c8d.jpg

After assembling the t-tracks with PVA glue, I painted them black and finished them off with a coat of Mod Podge matte finish.
24e6072827aca8d0877b497318f690b2.jpg

b240e7954b079cd61c015ed95752e1a9.jpg

Another thing to think about for the future: if you don't have any molding and casting skills, you can probably sharpen them up by molding and casting one of your grips with some mold max 30 and some onyx resin. Pretty cheap, pretty fun.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back