Dark Forces II - 3D Printed Lightsabers

Hopefully ordering a new printer tomorrow!

I'm very lucky I got it because I'd left 5 litres of acetone in the same room....could have been a disaster!

I'm hoping to get myself an XYZ Dvinci 1.0s which has a built in 3D scanner too!

Until then I'll get on with the models and try post updates on them.

Sent from my D2403 using Tapatalk

Hello Everyone!

Finally am getting around to reviving this project after a seriously long hiatus!

I recently got a new printer and having spent the last week tinkering im finally ready to get back into this.

My first problem was given the length of time between then and now, i've seemingly lost all of the models i had made in 123d.
As irritating as this was at first, i have been looking for a reason to advance my CAD knowledge, so i got myself a copy of Autodesk Fusion 360 and started learning.
After a day or two of youtube videos i put this together.

QuRahnModel%20copy.jpg

17-Jan-26_10-56-13PM-000_CustomizedView11942950206.png

This model is more dimensionally accurate! (please ignore the grime textures...was playing with decals)

The next thing im going to tackle is how its going to be printed and assembled. Previously i seperated the models and printed parts individually but not everything fit correctly once printed. I figure ill try do it in two to three parts max. It will take longer to print but should be worth it!

Ill update again soon.

Attachments

• Qu_Rahn_Lightsaber_v4_2017-Jan-26_10-56-13PM-000_CustomizedView11942950206.png
    Qu_Rahn_Lightsaber_v4_2017-Jan-26_10-56-13PM-000_CustomizedView11942950206.png
    315.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Renders work now. Looks nice and clean :)

Might I suggest adding bevels to all the sharp corners....

Good suggestion! Much improved the look, all i did was add .02" and .04" chamfers to areas with hard edges.

32550930575_530d1fab23_b.jpg
Qu Rahn by Steve Robb

I imported it into my slicing software.... to print it at 0.1mm is going to take a full 24 hours...
Am currently printing a piece for an obi-wan ANH style saber at .2mm so ill see how that turns out and possibly do my rahn the same.

Thank you :)
One of those things that are very different between the CG world and the real world. There are no perfectly sharp corners in real life, also is will save a tiny amount of printing material :p

Man, I remember being on the run for these forever ago! I sold mine, unfortunately, though I held onto it for years. It was easily one of my favorites!

I always liked the Yun design a little better, actually.

Neat that you're doing these!

Update!

So once again this project went on hold for a while. Spent a lot of time upgrading my printer and then doing commission work to build up funds to buy a copy of Simplify3D.

With all that done i resumed!

I decided to do a new design for my Qu Rahn with more of an 'assembly' line of thinking. I remade each component individually and added a threaded cylinder at the bottom and inserts on each part so that it would simply screw together.
It actually turned out to be a failure as i didn't take dimensional accuracy into account and so the threads didn't fit, plus they where weak because the whole thing was printed with only 10% infil.

So i just snapped them off and glued the darn thing together with superglue lol

Talk about over thinking it!

Anyway, heres pics!

Each component before cleanup.
DSC_0461 by Steve Robb, on Flickr

Partly cleaned up and glued. The rest of the clean up is mostly just support material still in place and then some sanding and filling.
DSC_0463 by Steve Robb, on Flickr

In hand for scale.
DSC_0464 by Steve Robb, on Flickr

You can see where the lower body meets the pommel i left a gap this was due to complications printing and it was easier to just chop the model than redo it. Ill be fixing it for future reference. For now im just going to fill it/sculpt it with a bit of putty. Theres a few other areas need touching in with putty anyway.

Then the entire thing will be smoothed with thinned epoxy (Z-Poxy and Acetone) too fill the layers in. I tested this thoroughly and found that its quite an easy way to achieve quick results without loosing much detail.

Until next post, i leave you with one of my commissioned pieces.

Baby Groot!
DSC_0450 by Steve Robb, on Flickr

Update!

So once again this project went on hold for a while. Spent a lot of time upgrading my printer and then doing commission work to build up funds to buy a copy of Simplify3D.

With all that done i resumed!

I decided to do a new design for my Qu Rahn with more of an 'assembly' line of thinking. I remade each component individually and added a threaded cylinder at the bottom and inserts on each part so that it would simply screw together.
It actually turned out to be a failure as i didn't take dimensional accuracy into account and so the threads didn't fit, plus they where weak because the whole thing was printed with only 10% infil.

So i just snapped them off and glued the darn thing together with superglue lol

Talk about over thinking it!

Anyway, heres pics!

Each component before cleanup.
[url]https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2831/33551044482_ac00418d3a_b.jpg[/url]DSC_0461 by Steve Robb, on Flickr

Partly cleaned up and glued. The rest of the clean up is mostly just support material still in place and then some sanding and filling.
[url]https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2826/32864618844_8499313c49_b.jpg[/url]DSC_0463 by Steve Robb, on Flickr

In hand for scale.
[url]https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2916/32864619454_b0a6b1c261_b.jpg[/url]DSC_0464 by Steve Robb, on Flickr

You can see where the lower body meets the pommel i left a gap this was due to complications printing and it was easier to just chop the model than redo it. Ill be fixing it for future reference. For now im just going to fill it/sculpt it with a bit of putty. Theres a few other areas need touching in with putty anyway.

Then the entire thing will be smoothed with thinned epoxy (Z-Poxy and Acetone) too fill the layers in. I tested this thoroughly and found that its quite an easy way to achieve quick results without loosing much detail.

Until next post, i leave you with one of my commissioned pieces.

Baby Groot!
[url]https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2826/33707341585_cc9079fa2f_b.jpg[/url]DSC_0450 by Steve Robb, on Flickr
This came out great! I've been looking to get my hands on a qu rahn lightsaber for quite some time!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back