Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears...

I totally agree. An extension of this was how easily they were always able to use and understand the tech of everybody they encountered even though they're in a completely different part of the galaxy and nothing should be the least bit familiar since they would/should have developed all of their tech in completely different ways from the Alpha quadrant. Even if they were able to figure some new species' tech, there's no way that any of their tech should be as readily compatible with Federation tech as it was. On DS9 they regularly had issues with integrating Federation tech with the station's Cardassian tech to the point that most of the systems on the station were still Cardassian. Even here in the real world you can't take a part from, say, a Ford F-150 and put it in a Ford Focus and make it work without a lot of jerry rigging, if you can make it work at all. But on Voyager you could take a part from an alien race and plug it into the Voyager and works just fine.

That is one of my major pet peeves with ST. I remember an episode of TNG where they encounter a really old ship from a battle they'd only read about. Yet the beam over and instantly (if I remember correctly) power it up and can read all the readouts. At least aim a tricorder at it for a sec and have them go "Oh, okay we've got it now." :lol I *think* on Enterprise they would have Hoshi interpret a language to try to figure it out.

Not how it works.
Paramount owned the character, but the writer was still entitled to residuals. The studio doesn't get to decide offer something else in lieu of them. It's all ironed out in union contracts, etc.

Generally speaking if you’re a freelancer and you make new characters, you’ll get residuals for them. If you’re on staff it can go either way depending on your contract. In some cases anything come up with in the room is property of the show. It also depends if it’s the first season vs regular run. This is for random one off characters, or re-occurring ones.

This case, taking a one-off character and making them a lead would have required a pretty big pay out, and the writer could have even fought to get on the show. So it makes some sense.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back