ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

how auch dose it costa tonus a denix for a build

- - - Updated - - -

sorry, that was riddled with typos, about how much would it cost to build a dl 44 with a denix, and how do I get the parts, it seems sold out for the most part.

Depends what parts you go with etc. Anywhere between ~$400 to ~1K. Do your research!

how auch dose it costa tonus a denix for a build

- - - Updated - - -

sorry, that was riddled with typos, about how much would it cost to build a dl 44 with a denix, and how do I get the parts, it seems sold out for the most part.

You have many more options today than anytime before. Price for a denix is anywhere between $70-100 depending on the grips mostly. Parts alone can be as low as $50 but if it's quality and accuracy you desire then expect to pay much, much more. As high as 10/20x that.

You can get very inexpensive but not very accurate 3D prints that are ready available. Everyone seem to download these from the same place.

Or you can shop through shapeways which are also 3D printed but much, much more customized, accurate & detailed with many different printing materials including metal available.

DEC and Todd's sell parts or full builds in Todd's case. Lastly there is also Field Marshal who has just started selling his Hensolt scope. I've yet to see it myself but if it rivals his m19 scope it's well worth looking at.

Regardless the direction you go in it's a fun and addictive build. Good luck to ya [emoji106]

Last edited:
Here is a new Hero build in progress with the grille still not glued but tilted a bit forward..
2fdcfb6a242b17e7a5112a31eb5fb66a.jpg
935f5f598ef1e189c6b31dcaf8148dc1.jpg

You have many more options today than anytime before. Price for a denix is anywhere between $70-100 depending on the grips mostly. Parts alone can be as low as $50 but if it's quality and accuracy you desire then expect to pay much, much more. As high as 10/20x that.

You can get very inexpensive but not very accurate 3D prints that are ready available. Everyone seem to download these from the same place.

Or you can shop through shapeways which are also 3D printed but much, much more customized, accurate & detailed with many different printing materials including metal available.

DEC and Todd's sell parts or full builds in Todd's case. Lastly there is also Field Marshal who has just started selling his Hensolt scope. I've yet to see it myself but if it rivals his m19 scope it's well worth looking at.

Regardless the direction you go in it's a fun and addictive build. Good luck to ya [emoji106]
I completely missed that boat. Was wondering if there's a way to contact DEC to ask if I could jump on the run?
Anyone got his contact or RPF id?

They were talking about why the DL-44 is left-handed over in the "can it be done" thread and it got me google searching through pics and I came across this old one From Sitting Target 1972:

Sitting-Target-Oliver-Reeves-C96-Mauser.jpg

And it got me thinking... somebody tweet Ian McShane and ask him if he wishes he pocketed that thing on the way off the lot... :)

Then I was thinking "oh man, am I really going to sit through an early '70s movie for a hopeful DL-44 nipslip?" so I watched the trailer:

You can see how when they went to the same guys and said "make us a big scary laser gun" the DL-44 was born...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes, that image of Ian McShane and Oliver Reed with the Mauser. I remember it earlier in this thread (or was there another thread started before this one?). Someone even bought that trailer on film and we dissected every still we could pull from it. It certainly helped build the kit parts from DEC. Ah, the memories..... :)[/h]

.. it got me google searching through pics and I came across this old one From Sitting Target 1972:

View attachment 768667

It’s this pic that makes me believe the inside of the that scope mount (around dovetail) is much bigger than what most current kits seem have it at as well.

Todd’s is less than .8 I think and DEC is around .820 but it’s seem to be much more closer to .900”

b0b41113293fc2da8ce9c0874359a226.jpg
7884a9f2a33331e5f1bb126271de069e.jpg

Looks as awkward as the new HOTH spacer info but when u size up the scope knob accordingly it again seems to be “much” bigger. ??

The problem is for SW only the mount, dovetail and scope were used from SITTING TARGET. It would be helpful if this same pic was actually with the c96 and rail. But it’s still an interesting possibility..

Last edited:
Oh yes, that image of Ian McShane and Oliver Reed with the Mauser. I remember it earlier in this thread (or was there another thread started before this one?). Someone even bought that trailer on film and we dissected every still we could pull from it. It certainly helped build the kit parts from DEC. Ah, the memories..... :)[/h]

I’m late to the party. I’ve been building & designing these OT DL-44’s for the past 3/4 Year’s now myself. This thread is the gold standard for the HERO.. “it belongs in a museum!”

It’s this pic that makes me believe the inside of the that scope mount (around dovetail) is much bigger than what most current kits seem have it at as well.

Todd’s is less than .8 I think and DEC is around .820 but it’s seem to be much more closer to .900”

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171024/b0b41113293fc2da8ce9c0874359a226.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171024/7884a9f2a33331e5f1bb126271de069e.jpg

Looks as awkward as the new HOTH spacer info but when u size up the scope knob accordingly it again seems to be “much” bigger. ??

It can't be the same rail as the one in Sitting Target as it leaves the fire selector free and the dovetail continues to the end of the rail. The whole dove-tail section and rail it is mounted on have to be custom to ANH...or from a different donor or extensively altered. That would also explain why the rail in ANH chips so much differently than the rest of the prop...

---edit---

Sorry, now that I re-read it I think you were meaning the inside of the dove-tail aperture. I just got out my Todd's and no doubt about it. Backs the scope off from the frame a bit, though.

Last edited:
It can't be the same rail as the one in Sitting Target as it leaves the fire selector free and the dovetail continues to the end of the rail. The whole dove-tail section and rail it is mounted on have to be custom to ANH...or from a different donor or extensively altered. That would also explain why the rail in ANH chips so much differently than the rest of the prop...

There is no rail in SITTING TARGET correct? (Same pic just over exposed so we can clearly see it without the rail)..
3f98eb14c656d10b60e06356e8fce440.jpg
The dove tail is attached directly to the Mauser itself by the looks of this pic. But I’m sure they didn’t change the mount itself in anyway. Just created a rail for it

:lol

I dug up some images from a long time ago...

I'm happy to see a new generation is looking at this prop again.

We compared A LOT of images and did 3d overlays to get as close as possible to the original with the DEC made parts. We discovered that the TomTit parts were within a few thousandths of an inch when he finally found them.

Take a look at the page below for some details on our inspection and reproduction of the mount in progress. A bunch of us were quite obsessed with every small detail.

The Sitting Target images were interesting. The dovetail set up is probibly the same. They added the aluminum rail later.

We had wondered if they originally tried to use the left side mount in SW but had to change it for the cowboy holster use. MAYBE somehow explains the mystery disk since it is in the same location...but... ; )

As for your question of size, the 3d overlay fits pretty exact and makes sense from a machining POV. The rear section is shaped to roughly the top of the square hole in the mount. The square hole is then milled leaving a relief cut at top and bottom.

Maybe this can help solve your puzzle.

OPWNm6D.jpg

Attachments

• DL44 mount detail for post.jpg
    DL44 mount detail for post.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back