Black Series Darth Vader reveal helmet coming...? Hasbrocon

It's not a matter of bells and whistles, the difference is: the efx is a Darth Vader helmet, the Hasbro BS is a parody of that helmet.

To us. To the average person who buys their prop replicas at Target, then it is a matter of bells and whistles. They're going to look at the BS and the EFX or whatever, think they both look like Vader, but the one has cool sound effects and the one does not, and the one that does not is 1/3 of the price. Again, I have a real vintage Graflex that I have done up as the ANH saber. My friends don't think it's as cool as my old oversized first run Master Replicas ForceFX lightsaber BECAUSE the ForceFX has lights and sounds while the Graflex is just a static prop that doesn't do anything.

To us. To the average person who buys their prop replicas at Target, then it is a matter of bells and whistles. They're going to look at the BS and the EFX or whatever, think they both look like Vader, but the one has cool sound effects and the one does not, and the one that does not is 1/3 of the price. Again, I have a real vintage Graflex that I have done up as the ANH saber. My friends don't think it's as cool as my old oversized first run Master Replicas ForceFX lightsaber BECAUSE the ForceFX has lights and sounds while the Graflex is just a static prop that doesn't do anything.

Exactly! This is quite the offering for what is basically a higher end toy line. It wouldn’t satisfy the more discerning fans looking for uber accuracy, and I don’t think that’s what they’re aiming for, especially at this low price. It’s actually pretty impressive for what it is.

The problem is that Hasbro has given Stormies and Kylo helmets that were very decents and accurate for the price and they suggest that this Vader helmet rises the same accuracy level but everything is off on this last one despite of all electronics gadgets.
if you need a vader helmet for fun, play with the electronics features with your kids, buy it!
but if you're looking for an accurate 1/1 Vader Helmet to put on display, i don't think it's gonna make it...
I mean even under the good lightning and under a display case on the top of a shelf, it always seem cheap and toylish...

save and buy an EFX or Quasimodo witch are 3 or 7 times more expensive but worth every penny asked. The Hasbro BS doesn't worth the half of the price asked...
After the stormie and Kylo, Hasbro should had propose something much more accurate. I'm sorry but Vader is maybe "The" iconic SW character and deserves more attention, a least the same than stormies and Kylo.

Last edited:
It´s really a shame to call the EFX Vader in one set with this "Thing".Sorry...The EFX based on the cast of an screenused helmet...this thing based on the fast look from the hasbroteam on a cloudy pic of the ROTJ-Revealmask.;)

- - - Updated - - -

I have to say as someone who thinks it looks really good...can someone point out really why it's so bad.... sizing? Shape? Is it a lot of little things or is it major reworking to get to something close?

I cannot see something that IS accurate.;)

So is everyone who is complaining about the accuracy of the BS helmet saying that efx is ripping everyone off by charging $299 for a plastic Vader or are you somehow justifying that price even though you are saying a $100 helmet with additional features should be pretty close to the $299 helmet in accuracy and material?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

We are not complaining. We just warn the guys who are not really aware of the subtilities of the vader mask.
if people knows that it is more a toy than a real accurate prop no problem.
but some people could buy it as a very accurate helmet and display piece as Hasbro seems to present it.
It confirms that the Vader helmet is much more complex and subtile than it seems to be and that even a big brand like Hasbro witch had done great helmets in the past ( even the last BS) can completly missed this one...

Possibly. But has anyone else produced a better Vader in the $100 range? If not there must be a reason. It could be too expensive to produce for that price range or Lucasfilm may actually not allow one in that price range to look too good. That could be too close to the higher priced replicas. I imagine Hasbro just has a toy license so it may need to be noticably more toy like than a replica.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Rubies has a lot closer sculpt and a vague lineage...Hasbro....Nothing. They could have done better.

What I get from the Hasbro is they took the effort to no make it look like Vader.....I'm tired of people saying its only a $100 toy.

Rubies and Don Post did it.......It doesn't take a lot of effort to scan an existing helmet or at least not exaggerate the features during the sculpting.

Last edited:
Rubies has a lot closer sculpt and a vague lineage...Hasbro....Nothing. They could have done better.

What I get from the Hasbro is they took the effort to no make it look like Vader.....I'm tired of people saying its only a $100 toy.

Rubies and Don Post did it.......It doesn't take a lot of effort to scan an existing helmet or at least not exaggerate the features during the sculpting.
While I am with you on that point. I think they were not allowed to make it accurate.

AGREED! I don't know what they based this design on, but it's nothing I can recall seeing on screen. (And if it's from the prequels, I don't remember...or I don't WANT to remember, anyway.)

Why would they not be allowed to make what possibly will be the best selling BS helmet accurate when the other 3 are nearly spot on? Explain that!

Do you know what examples Hasbro had available to them when they made the Kylo BS, Poe Dameron BS, or the Rogue One stormtrooper BS versus the Vader?

I think those of you complaining about this helmet are completely missing the point; this helmet is *not* meant for the 0.5% of us that want a Vader helmet in all of its asymmetrical glory with paint blobs an C-scars. Even the efx helmet that everyone is touting is a sanitized version of the prop helmet because most casual collectors would have complained about the poor casting job and crappie paint work not realizing that that was *how* the actual helmet looked like.

Even the BS Stormtrooper helmet is inaccurate to the OT Stormie helmets because it's a symmetrical helmet. The only reason most people give it a pass is because it's based off of the Rogue One Stormtrooper helmets.

As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, Avanos received numerous complaints about their OT Stormie lids because they *were* true to the original helmets and asymmetrical. Hell a buddy of mine has the PCR efx Stormie helmet and thinks it's much superior to another friend's of ours Avanos because he thinks the Avanos lid is "wonky" in comparison.

This is a symmetrical Vader helmet that has a reveal feature and sound fx that 100% of the populous will immediately recognize as Darth Vader and 99% will believe that it's true to what's seen on screen. And for $100 price point, it'll fly off the shelves and those people will be happy to say that they own a Darth Vader helmet with really cool features.

As for myself, even though I have a SL Vader helmet coming to me, I can pretty much guarantee that for $100 I'll be happily picking up this helmet up as well.

Do you know what examples Hasbro had available to them when they made the Kylo BS, Poe Dameron BS, or the Rogue One stormtrooper BS versus the Vader?

They probably had this 3d model of their own Black Series 6" figure.
CuGR_qsWEAAsDNh.jpg

That's the thing. I'm tired of SW stuff being dumbed down for the mass public. They should know what the original props were like and what they were seeing on the screen.

... And for $100 price point, it'll fly off the shelves and those people will be happy to say that they own a Darth Vader helmet with really cool features.

Yep.

As for the naysayers, sounds like a good setup for a monty pythonesque sketch.
*dingdooong* "Yeeees?"" G'day ma'am, we're the Vader accuracy police, may we check your helmets, please?""Yes, but it is just a toy?!"" Oh no, 'tis a VADER helmet!""Is it?""Oh yes, errr I mean, no, but...""oh but I did not expect to have someone show up at my doorstep about a Vader toy helmets accuracy?""NObody expects the Vader accuracy police!"

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I'll be buying at least three.

They probably had this 3d model of their own Black Series 6" figure.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuGR_qsWEAAsDNh.jpg

And thats what I'm getting at. For the Kylo, Rogue One ST, and Poe helmets, we know they most likely had the original prop, or scans, or 3D files to work from. The comparisons have shown some of that. We have no idea what they had available to them to make this Vader helmet. People can assume, but they really don't know. And we also don't know what sort of constraints Hasbro's designers had to work under. Lots of people can say they could've made it better, but maybe they couldn't.

If you really hate his helmet, fine. Don't buy it. No one is forcing you to. Also, no one here is saying this is a 100% accurate helmet. Even those of us who like it and plan on purchasing one admit it has flaws. Gain some perspective. Go out and find what makes you happy. Stop focusing on the stuff that doesn't bring you joy and leave the rest to theirs.

That's the thing. I'm tired of SW stuff being dumbed down for the mass public. They should know what the original props were like and what they were seeing on the screen.

Why? Most people I know don't care about original props. They just want something that reminds them of what they've seen. The mass public isn't into props the way we are...that's why we're on this forum. For those who truly want replica props, there are plenty of options. It's kinda funny, most of my friends, when they see my Vader helmet, say, "That's too big. No way it was that big." I think the reality is that the mass public doesn't really care.

I still think making it completely full size in the neck and dome would be a problem at $100. If it isn't why is the efx PCR 3 times the price for a plastic helmet with less features?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I still think making it completely full size in the neck and dome would be a problem at $100. If it isn't why is the efx PCR 3 times the price for a plastic helmet with less features?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Probably because Hasbro can get better deals from their manufacturers.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back