Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

This thread is getting better and better :) Thanks for the decal placement links. Just saw that unboxing vid from edge10's post with the nerdy fellow laughing maniacally. That's what I imagine would happen to every single one of us when our packages arrive.

I have to say I'm still confused on how the lighting works in the cockpit. Is it a decal, is it a clear piece that needs to be painted, is it only lit through the light bars? Maybe we have a choice? I would have to say I'm not too impressed with the images I've seen of the cockpit lighting so far. I'm sure we can mod it to look any way we want though.

You need a link to this:
bandai-hobby.net/sw/products_img/millenniumfalcon_72_markinglocation.pdf
Looks like they got everything except for a few? (the Dunlop from the aft underside was one I saw...) but then have others that our RPF MF Markings survey missed because we were only able to use images of the current condition of the 5-footer... and apparently Bandai was not restricted in that way. Good job!
Regards, Robert

I have to say I'm still confused on how the lighting works in the cockpit. Is it a decal, is it a clear piece that needs to be painted, is it only lit through the light bars? Maybe we have a choice? I would have to say I'm not too impressed with the images I've seen of the cockpit lighting so far. I'm sure we can mod it to look any way we want though.

It looks like it's a clear piece with a decal over it

Photoetch is flat so it doesn't have a lot of depth to work with, by using a clear piece they can get all of the wall detail and Bandai is capable of getting the very small detail. What people could possibly do is drill the light holes for fiber optics.

Photoetch is flat so it doesn't have a lot of depth to work with, by using a clear piece they can get all of the wall detail and Bandai is capable of getting the very small detail. What people could possibly do is drill the light holes for fiber optics.
Can't disagree, but in 1/72 inside a darkened cockpit the detail is almost lost.

I've done lots of 1/72 aircraft kits and 2D panel detail in cockpits is pretty accepable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have to say I'm still confused on how the lighting works in the cockpit.

It's like this.

cockpit.jpg

The decal is transparent where the light bar is.
The way they have done it is optimized for modellers who shall paint, and by doing so, can maximize the wall details with a sense of depth. The lights from the light bars shall emphasize those engraved details.
They have included decals for casual modellers, but those shall ruin the engravings.

I'll have to say I'm going to wait for a nice PE set for the cockpit interior cause this one is not doing for me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'll have to say I'm going to wait for a nice PE set for the cockpit interior cause this one is not doing for me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'd say Green Strawberry would make a brilliant cockpit wall,....& hopefully a multi layered fan grille set like the one for the 144

That's about the only aftermarket product I think I'd need

J

How and the extent to which you light the cockpit and panels depends on an early decision as to what you're trying to achieve; the studio model? ; one of the live sets? ; idealised hybrid?
It's great fun super detailing and lighting every panel, switch and light, but it doesn't always look right. Viewing your model from a distance of one foot should equate to viewing a full size Falcon from seventy two feet away; could you see individual lights and how bright would they be?
I'm looking forward to seeing some great builds, part of the fun will be seeing different approaches. If you have the skill and fancy 674 fibre optic strands in the cockpit, go for it, have fun; what does it matter if I prefer something else?

As that well known modeller, Voltaire, didn't say: " I wholly disapprove of your Falcon build, but will defend to the death star your right to build it."

I'd say Green Strawberry would make a brilliant cockpit wall,....& hopefully a multi layered fan grille set like the one for the 144

That's about the only aftermarket product I think I'd need

J

PE could be needed for the disc-shaped landing gear baffles too. That's a tough piece to do in styrene.

I don't have a problem with the cockpit back wall as it stands. I'd simply paint the side of the wall facing out gloss black, lightly sand off the paint on the details without removing the raised detail, and put the decal over top. With enough decal setter, the raised detail should be fine (similar to putting a decal on the raised detail on a plane instrument panel).

I don't have a problem with the cockpit back wall as it stands. I'd simply paint the side of the wall facing out gloss black, lightly sand off the paint on the details without removing the raised detail, and put the decal over top. With enough decal setter, the raised detail should be fine (similar to putting a decal on the raised detail on a plane instrument panel).

This is a really great idea. Im going to do exactly this but also run fibre optics for various colours and sequences.

I bet the kits coming from this site will blow the bandai display models out of space :)

Anyone have any ideas about lighting the side cockpit walls, particularly the side light bars?

I'm building a 1/144 Falcon as a commission & the customer suggested using reflective tape,....the stuff you see on hi-vis vests or bicycles,....hopefully using that material on the side panels, they will get enough glow from the back light bars.....& a wee bit left over could be stuck on the rear deck on the 6 vents for the 5 footer authentic look

J

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back