Star Wars Rebels Ghost Model

I look forward to being one of the first people to put this model together and probably displayed next to my other models in the house once you get it created were you planning on selling it I would love to have you send me a link and I can send you the money or what but I would really love to take a look at this model and put it together because I'm huge rebels family now and the ghost would be a great addition to my collection I hope to hear from you soon my email address is Grantmiles1@yahoo.com

Hi, there guys.
This is going to be my first build thread, so I'm really excited about it.
This time is going to be the Ghost, from the new Star Wars animated series.
For those of you who don't know it, this is the ship:

View attachment 553978

I already have been working on the blueprints and a basic 3D model.
It helps me understand better the shape of the object.

So, I'm really good to go, except I haven't decided yet on the scale.
According to the Wookiepedia the dimensions are the following:
Length: 43.9 meters
Width: 34.2 meters
Height/depth : 14.5 meters

I though 1:100 was a reasonable size, not too big, not too small.
But apparently it's not a very common scale.

My second option is going for a more popular scale 1:72.
That is a little bit bigger, but I can handle that, no more.

So, what's your opinion on scale.
Does it matter that much going for a popular scale?
I would really love to make a run of it eventually, so I want it to be of people's taste.

Let me know what you think of it.
I'm open to any suggestions.

Best!

RE: my earlier post #19, the tip about the 4.75 inch long cake topper decoration made by DecoPac turned out to be a pretty nice model - at 1/355 scale! Close enough to 1/350 to be compatible.
Image from the Amazon listing is found HERE.

That said, it looks to be accurate except for the forward wing 'wedge' shape, which is a mirror to the rear half when it should be flat on the bottom, not angled. Though, I must say, I actually like the look better (seems more aerodynamic after all.) Could this be a spoiler for when the ship gets a new 'cloaking' system installed? ;^P

I'm taking dims off it to make some plans to get my scratch build started. It should take a while since I want to do it in - yup, you guessed it - 1:48 scale. Funny how the engines look like 'Mag' flashlights, though.

R/ Robert

20151120_042801.jpg

I just saw the Fantasy Flight Games one in the local gaming store yesterday. Their's was probably created from directly from the cgi source models

Supposedly in scale with the rest of the line at 1/270 scale. It is bigger than the Falcon

761efed9a76a6fa09efe083183431b55.jpg

Last edited:
NMD did. Can't talk about it. It went to Florida. Mouseland....etc

Roger, understood! I reviewed other images taken by another RPF'er of the display and so figured it out after I asked. Though, it has inspired me to look through screen caps to get the interior sorted in anticipation of creating a 1/48 scale model. Since "official" data indicates a 144 foot length, or 36 inches in scale, it would be large enough to include some interior detail beyond the 'cockpit' areas. So far, the only apparent issue is with the head height within the crew cabins aft of the cockpit as the width of the "spine" seems insufficient for the cabin depths depicted so they must occupy some of the volume in the lower height side 'wedges'. However, if the main fore & aft corridor is assumed to be horizontal (parallel with the main hold floor), then the height conflict is constrained to just the forward two cabins. Overall though, the design team did a good job fitting the interiors into the exterior shell. Works out with at least four levels: main cargo hold, nose turret, primary crew spaces (cockpit, quarters, galley & lounge) and the 'maintenance corridor' in line with the Phantom's garage and the dorsal turret, which sets just above the primary level's 'nexus' where the side passageways slope down into the docking ports.

Some details I've worked out include the ladder & 'balcony' at the forward end of the cargo hold are at the turret space's level; the ladder itself continues up into the cockpit (starboard rear corner) which requires some kind of as yet unseen pressure hatch feature to seal the cockpit from the hold space. A large hatch is at the aft end of the cargo hold in a plain vertical wall, seemingly in line with the 'transverse wedge' occupied by the docking port corridors. The shape and location of this transverse volume suggests some kind of cargo handling equipment that feeds up into the side 'sponson' space, though an elevator would work just as well.

Moving to the stern, access to the 'Phantom' shuttle is interesting. If 'parked' backwards, then the shuttle's rear airlock provides access from the 'maintenance' level. However, if parked 'nose in', then the belly hatch must be used, which implies it opens into yet another corridor or space below the shuttle dock. I'd surmise it must be the engineering spaces which I don't recall having seen in the show yet... but then, I've not seen it all. I consider that the entire aft volume of the ship is devoted to engineering functions such as engines, life support, power generation and consumables storage. It is unfortunate that there is no hatch depicted within the galley to the rear areas since that would be a logical placement for that access. Perhaps it is actually there, since I've not yet seen the portside rear corner of that space.

As always, there are questions like 'what is that "cabinet" in the starboard rear corner of the lounge?' and 'where does that ladder in the lounge go?' I thought the cabinet might represent a 'refresher' but then why is it only about at high as the back of the rec couch, requiring one to crouch to pass through the door? (Perhaps that is why Zeb stinks? Too difficult to get into the 'bath'?)

Another issue is whether the Ghost is equipped with escape pods or not (one must assume so but no mention I've seen in the series yet.) The volume below the docking port passageways could accomodate some pods (perhaps two, 2-man pods each side - given there are 2 bunks per crew cabin) that would eject downwards, with access hatches in the passageway floor.

Looking at my 'reference' model (the cake topper Ghost - quite accurate with a few exceptions), it has the forward 'wing' sponsons depicted as symmetrical top & bottom instead of the correct flat undersurface. It occurred to me that those volumes, labeled as 'main cargo holds' on the Disney Ghost fact sheet, might be detachable components. If the sponsons are modular in nature such that the ship could be equipped with different configurations, then it would be much more versatile. Sponsors could be for cargo, reconnaissance, weapons, etc. loads. If there are two separate 'sponsons' (top & bottom halves) each side, there could be even greater flexibility for 'mixed mission' configurations. Even oversized sponsons for missions requiring maximum volume, such as personnel evac for example.

All in all, the 'Ghost' design offers a great deal of 'stage' for storytelling through a (perhaps unintentional?) highly flexible design.

Regards, Robert

Yea it's become one of my favorite ships for sure. This NMD model is 1/72 scale and about 2' long,fully lighted. Wish I could say more about it or post more pictures but I can't. 1/48 would be a massive model,and very impressive.

That would be stunning. If you haven't seen it already, Randy Cooper is doing one about 1/96 scale and is documenting it pretty well on facebook, youtube, etc. May find some of the techniques he is using pretty useful! I used a few on my YT-2000.

Thanks for that tip on Randy's vid articles, WingNIt! He just posted Pt. 11 today, so all caught up. I was looking at MDF for my structural components, but perhaps the PVC sheet would work easier (gluing, cutting, finishing, etc.) His description of the 'bondo press' for creating mating surfaces was a new one for me, will put that one to use for certain.

Anyway, back to the OT from the 'tangent zone'. ;^P

Regards, Robert

Perhaps this will help stir the potions a bit:
View attachment extract2.pdf
View attachment extract.pdf

I've found I can directly copy my AutoCAD drawing components into an OpenOffice.Org DRAW file, then convert to a PDF and it will retain the 'image' data as vector data, so when zoomed, it stays as crisp as the original (though I have to take care and REGEN the data before selecting it for COPY.)

I was wondering how I would get my drawings into an easily transportable format. Guess that answers the question...

Regards, Robert

Last edited:
rbeach84 those are really cool, thanks for sharing, did they get cut off or is it just how im viewing it?

Last edited by a moderator:
@rbeach84 those are really cool, thanks for sharing, did they get cut off or is it just how im viewing it?

The drawings aren't complete so these are just 'sample' views in the PDF files. I've gotten the top, bottom, front & side views substantially complete, but the details of rear sections still need work. The Phantom (?) will take a bit more since it is part of the Ghost drawings but also needs it's own set. If anyone has some decent screen caps of the rear sections they can share, I'd appreciate the help. Apparently Disney has slammed the hammer on YouTube postings of the episodes, so it is harder to gather source material (I don't have the Disney channel either...)

In any case, glad you like it!

R/ Robert

I have the entire series on iTunes so if there is any particular episode -time that has a good view let me know and I'll get a screenie to post.

Excellent, mmhc! Thank you so much. You know I've got to include that little logo on the top of the Phantom!

If I may ask, could you or mythshaker (thanks for the offer) find some similar views of the area of the Ghost? I am lacking any good views of the aft face around the engines & the upper and lower rear 'fuselage' areas which show how the 'wings' intersect with the engine bodies & central spine. For example, I believe there is a horizontal flat along the top of the aft upper fuselage/wing juncture. But it isn't clear in the selection of screen caps I have already.

Strange how simple this 'ship' appears at first glance...

Regards, Robert

Last edited:
rbeach84 I just noticed all the logos and insignias on the Ghost and the Phantom while taking pictures it's a cool touch. I have some more pictures but think I may start and independent research thread so I don't hijack tbody thread. I will post a link once I create it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back