Tom's: Gary Kurtz Darth Vader Stunt Lightsaber

Yup. I've been meaning to mention that, but was waiting to receive my own Strobonar ( still in the mail). Also I dont thing there is a screw on the top. there doesnt seem to be a reference point as to how much to trim from the top. However from the back it looks like they removed the slanted portion. Here are the only reference pictures I've gotten so far.

View attachment 675084View attachment 675085View attachment 675086
View attachment 675087
View attachment 675088View attachment 675089
View attachment 675090

( My apologies for the lack of credits on the pics. I cant remember who posted each of them)
Are there no photos of the back end of this saber?

It also seems like only one of the grips has an ESB style notch cut into it. Weird.

In some of the shots, the "plate" covering the underside where the two flashes join looks thin enough that it could be aluminum tape, in other shots it looks like it may be a little thicker. I'll probably use aluminum tape for mine.

I may also use plain old black gaff tape wrapped around the strobonar to mimic the "clamp". I'll probably scratch build the control box, wiper part and d ring holder using aluminum and sheet styrene. Looks like some aluminum U channel could possibly be used for the circuit board holder. I'll check Ace hardware for some of that, or maybe a hobby store.

Definitely want some saber freak T track, and will probably use tiny rivets on the grips. I can't wait to get started, the only bummer is my strobonar has a couple nasty scars on it. :(

Last edited:
It almost looks like the D ring holder could be two pieces sandwiched together, when I look at this photo. I can see a possible seam line running the length of it.
0fd072f6500c959fbb16ac49990dbb32.jpg

Anyway, here's my progress so far. Thanks to a special friend for helping me with my slave unit! (Not sure if I should mention his name here, or not, but you know who you are and I'm eternally grateful!)

I need to do more work on the shroud, and I was playing around with silver paint ideas. This is sort of a test fit.

7a74def1faa79d02384bdadf6bc8d2e3.jpg

2fb87bfd81d7ba10f1ffc9914c6e0bc5.jpg

a8dac42719785f9217c3c9e643dae760.jpg

6ae6ec887ef20e37137ede2be28691a7.jpg

Last edited:
It's from the bulb holder on the Strobonar.

Here's some updated photos of the shroud.

I hope I'm not stepping on Tom's toes by posting my progress here! If you'd rather I start my own thread, Tom, I'd be more than happy to!

3c84807c07fe230d7750ce158d4bcf5d.jpg

3666d026ec0380b7cd263f0fa20022f5.jpg

3ed6e82dd0f5259098e83359b5e06a89.jpg

af7f5234bfcf393e7c71627ea665e086.jpg

eea2c143f390f0c207d33f9bf1881c4c.jpg

Dann , thats looking great! I'm dying here waiting for my parts wanting to get started already.

Looking at the reference shots I think the shroud could be trimmed a bit from the top ( where you add the plastic square). Its just a tad really.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Dann , thats looking great! I'm dying here waiting for my parts wanting to get started already.

Looking at the reference shots I think the shroud could be trimmed a bit from the top ( where you add the plastic square). Its just a tad really.

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm thinking the same. I may hit it lightly with the belt sander.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my crude illustration to show where I find it most noticeable that its been trimmed. If you look at the top edge on the side with the two smaller holes, the one closest to the slanted side, you can see that there is a bit more space between edges on the original prop. If you leave that top on at its original height, there is barely any space between those edges. Also the two smaller holes look squared on the original prop and a bit more rectangular on the unaltered shrouds.

slave2.jpg

My illustration is rather crude but it helps clear up what I'm trying to explain.

Here is my crude illustration to show where I find it most noticeable that its been trimmed. If you look at the top edge on the side with the two smaller holes, the one closest to the slanted side, you can see that there is a bit more space between edges on the original prop. If you leave that top on at its original height, there is barely any space between those edges. Also the two smaller holes look squared on the original prop and a bit more rectangular on the unaltered shrouds.

View attachment 676891

My illustration is rather crude but it helps clear up what I'm trying to explain.
Yah, I absolutely see what you're seeing.

I love all the different pictures in this thread! and yea, I see the emitter thing too. I definitely think they cut the rear of the shroud where it steps and goes slanted right up against the saber body. I removed that on mine with a mini hacksaw and it looks great. Not sure how you would sand down the entire box uniformly if thats a thing...It could just be the angle of the photo, the open box on the other side still looks pretty tall.

The D ring box is DEFINITELY built in layers. it's built the same way as the energizer buynny box and I have a casting of that here. There are layers and the energizer bunny shroud/shoulder is also built in layers :lol

Awesome info, Tom!

Any chance we can sneak a peek at some of those energizer saber details?

View attachment 674696View attachment 674697

Thanks to Anakin Starkiller I found out the main body of the saber consisted of a Heiland Strobonar and a Graflex Slave. The strobonar is disassembled and the grey plastic ring supporting the flashlight-type head is slid around the graflex. I dipped mine in boiling water and it expanded and slid on perfectly.
How did you disassemble it mine has a couple of rivets holding this on?

For the strobonar disassembly, I just unscrewed every screw I saw, can't recall whether there were rivets, but if there were, I would've ground them off with a dremel.

I wonder if the base of the control box is a doorbell housing...

How did you disassemble it mine has a couple of rivets holding this on?

The metal crossbar should have a flat head attaching it to a right angle bracket of sorts

As for the crossbar and the tube, with the metal brackets separate, it should slide out horizontally.

I should have some pics here of the D ring on the energizer saber.

Attachments

• DSCN3790.jpg
    DSCN3790.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
  • DSCN3791.jpg
    DSCN3791.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    490.6 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 128
Thanks for these photos, Tom!! Very interesting!

So, what do y'all think about the length of the "clamp" band and the control box? Somewhere between 1.75" and 2"?

I'm pretty sure there are seven grips on this sucker, the spacing kinda gives that away.

Tomorrow I'm gonna try my hand at scratch building the windshield wiper part and the D ring holder. I'm using a chunk of aluminum for the D ring holder, but I'd really rather do a layered thing like the original, just not sure what I'd use, other than sheet styrene.

Last edited:
Here's where I'm at right now. Liberated the saber freak grips from a custom lightsaber I have, just to see how they look.

Wrapped some gaff tape for the clamp band, not sure if it's long enough. I had a thinner section added for a minute, to lengthen it, but ended up removing it.

Used some thin sheet aluminum for the plate under the emitter. I also slightly shortened the top of the shroud, but not much.

885a03ba58585f016cdc1ab8a8cb2437.jpg

8143c2c982266b470565cbb6b6c193f8.jpg

57fb3ede05c3bb348e36d74781a292a7.jpg

50ef1604c398dc378068b82e6cd9285b.jpg

ab50795c4dc46d65dcf60818b42117b3.jpg

Ignore all the chipped and flaked paint, for now. I'll probably end up using the airbrush for this, once it's all done.

Now, to work on the D ring holder and the wiper part!

I like it...

I feel like the band is rubber hose from car parts or something... have yet to visit a shop and see if anything comes close.

Definitely rubber. Perhaps that, and the wiper part both came from the same Volvo with the HIC parts...

I'm also beginning to think the grips are closer to 4". They look longer than your standard Luke or Vader ANH length.

Decided to use a styrene sandwich to build up the D ring holder and made a quick and dirty attempt at the base of the control box.

e407d23a6a0d411daddafc2f67de6324.jpg

2bcac440a173433a45e4719670f121bc.jpg

cb2a1332f620b7c538d835b7672b9aab.jpg

29fc36f2a64c8253b4820cf53cf41d87.jpg

Last edited:
This one's growing on me, for sure. Used to think it was so ugly, but I like the way it was constructed.

"I need you to make a Vader stunt saber, using whatever we've got left from the parts bins. Doesn't have to be perfect, just get it close! By the way, we need it for the next shot, so you've got an hour!"

Here's an update!

Finished the D ring holder, went with M3 screws, just because I had them around from the Han Hoth gun build. Looks like the real thing may have rivets, and the rear one is too far back to line up with the rear hole from the bunny ears. I didn't wanna drill another hole in the Graflex slave, so I just used the two bunny ear holes. Looks like that's what they did on the energizer saber, anyway. (EDIT: What am I talking about?! The Energizer saber didn't even use a Graflex slave!)

My control box needs work. It's too tall, and hasn't got all the detail of the real one. The more I compare with the original, it looks like my control box may be a hair too long, as well. We need to try and figure out that assembly! For the card slot, I cut some small aluminum square tube from Lowe's, but the wall thickness isn't right. The circuit card is a placeholder. It's a cut down Luke ROTJ card from a Rylo run long ago. I had an extra. It's also got eleven gold lines, while the real saber has only ten. This may or may not be a hint that my box is too long...

9b1d8dcbc9684234e75ac09148d7182c.jpg

7a752ca1765624cbe14e9369c4ec31ba.jpg

737b2c97f92e2617b29cbca0f8524c8e.jpg

e9bb5869d71a7be7dfa8d1b5d34ab38c.jpg

At this point, it's obvious which part scares me the most! How are y'all building your wiper parts? Sheet aluminum? Styrene? If you use sheet aluminum, how do you get the bends so nice?!!! juajn7fernandez, I'm looking at you, here!! ;)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back