Rogue One - Jyn Erso BlasTech A180 Blaster Pistol

Re: Rogue One Felicity Jones gun - ideas

Thanks to toy illustrations found by @spectreseven there are a couple new weapon features I will be looking to confirm from additional sources.

The black ring on the shroud does appear to have a smooth surface. However there is another ring immediate behind that ring toward the rear of the weapon. I originally thought that was a grooved portion of the shroud. From the packaging photo on the vehicle, this section appears to have a larger diameter than the front of the shroud. This still appears to me to be a set of shallow grooves as opposed to a “ribbed” structure. Behind the grooved section there appears to be another section which wraps over the top of the barrel from one side bracket (assumedly) to the other. The leading edge of the right-had side of this wrapover bracket matches the leading edge of the bracket of photos of the holstered weapon. The top of barrel in those photos has always been obscured by the holster but having the brackets connected has always been a reasonable possibility.

From the illustration on the figure packing there are some possible details about the under shroud “rail” system. The extension appears to be rectangular higher than it is wide, not round as I had originally speculated. The front of this extension might be taller than its rear portion, or this may just be an artifact of the gunflash depicted in the illustration. The front edge seems to be faceted which supports a angled cut. This front section may also be red. (EDIT The following sentence has been proven wrong. "Also this extension is not under the centerline of the barrel shroud but is offset to the right-hand side".) INSTEAD: The extension does appear to be directly under the centerline of the barrel. On the left-hand, under-side of the black ring, there appears to be another element. My first impression is a bracket comes off the ring at an angle (30 degrees below horizontal?) and this holds a cylindrical shape. The cylinder might be a bolt/nut combination, such as a pipe clamp which is used to affix the black ring to the shroud. Or the cylinder might be some type of adjustment knob, or ???

There are still some unknowns so I look forward to speculation and photos from others.

Last edited:

I can see how the under rail looks offset to the right side, but I think it may possibly be a perspective distortion.

Dann thanks for keeping me accurate. Once I built some digital scaffolding around the image with Adobe Illustrator I agree with your observation that the extension does seem to lie directly under the barrel centerline. That's what I get for believing my lying eyes and poor artistic skills.

Last edited by a moderator:

@Imagehunter I think your sketch looks great. I post the following comments not as "facts" but in the hope others will chime in to support or challenge these observations as they are based on fuzzy photos.

I do not believe the black ring on the shroud is ribbed.
I do believe there are very shallow grooves on the section of the shroud behind the black ring on the toggle side.
I believe the front face of the black extension under the shroud is angled much like you have angled the section in front of the trigger guard.
I believe on the left side there are only two machine screws holding the side bracket, but there are three screws on the right side.

Not a part of the print but the safety should be removed.

One question on your design. Do you have the right side and left side bracket as one piece wrapping over the top of the barrel? I have considered that possibility but so far have not found any evidence to accept or reject that idea. I have also thought there might be some connection between the bracket and the shroud. I would be interested in your thought as you have obviously spend some time analyzing the design.

First, thanks for your input and thanks to spectreseven for the added reference. I do think, from the reference I've seen online, the piece wraps over the top of the frame.
The problem is the reference on this build is so limited and most of it is illustrations. I can't be sure that no "artists interpretation" is taking place. Here are the updates, critique away!

Erso Left.jpgErso Right side.jpg

At the front of the side bracket (at least on the right side) the bottom narrows upward before it then wraps over the top of the barrel. The best photo I have seen of this is the following from @mtotin.

As you said there are some artist artifacts which cannot be validated. One of which is the number of grooves behind the shroud. From one illustration I count 12 versus your 13 but what the real number is, is anyone's guess. I adjusted my diagram to fit the number I had and the space I had available. I expect you have done something similar. And mine may change now that I have new details from @spectreseven to add.

At the front of the side bracket (at least on the right side) the bottom narrows upward before it then wraps over the top of the barrel. The best photo I have seen of this is the following from @mtotin.

As you said there are some artist artifacts which cannot be validated. One of which is the number of grooves behind the shroud. From one illustration I count 12 versus your 13 but what the real number is, is anyone's guess. I adjusted my diagram to fit the number I had and the space I had available. I expect you have done something similar. And mine may change now that I have new details from @spectreseven to add.

Thanks, I'll fix it and post an update. It actually looks like mine doesn't extend out enough. Now I'm wondering if both sides line up. I need more references.

I guys, I've been watching this thread for a while now. I just got my airgun version of the luger for modification and a few things turned up as I was going.
The barrel is obviously fitted over the receiver top part, and there is clearance for the mechanism to fire. In order to do this the barrel extension needs clearance to allow the inner parts to move. This meant that the rear of the new barrel needs support, Hence the rear barrel angled metal support which is secured to the main body, which I presume has been made to keep the new barrel in place whist being strong enough to hold it true whilst firing. I think this means that the rear support runs over the surface of the new barrel and is locked to it by some screws or other fixing. The center (ish) ring on the new barrel will be offering the same kind of structure, but supported from the front of the trigger guard and front of the body (the parts which do not move when fired).
I am currently working on a firing mock up for testing, I will post images as soon as I have worked out how to attach and build the lower ring support.
Is it possible that the new barrel has a groove underneath to allow it to slide into position and miss the lower support ? maybe this would offer up a larger area for the lower barrel support to anchor to?
Great thread, loving it.

The barrel is obviously fitted over the receiver top part, and there is clearance for the mechanism to fire. In order to do this the barrel extension needs clearance to allow the inner parts to move.

That seems like a very reasonable assumption.

The barrel is obviously fitted over the receiver top part, and there is clearance for the mechanism to fire. In order to do this the barrel extension needs clearance to allow the inner parts to move. This meant that the rear of the new barrel needs support, Hence the rear barrel angled metal support which is secured to the main body, which I presume has been made to keep the new barrel in place whist being strong enough to hold it true whilst firing. I think this means that the rear support runs over the surface of the new barrel and is locked to it by some screws or other fixing. The center (ish) ring on the new barrel will be offering the same kind of structure, but supported from the front of the trigger guard and front of the body (the parts which do not move when fired).

I think you're absolutely right on this and it is an excellent observation. The luger's barrel is fixed to the slide, and so both must remain mobile in order for the airsoft to still be able to fire. That entire new barrel shroud can only be attached to the lower receiver.

As you mention there is probably enough metal in the front of the receiver to also allow a support point or mounting screw for the barrel shroud (near the takedown lever). This would be in addition to the 3 screws just above the grip on the right side, and what seem to be 2 on the left side.

While re-watching the Celebration reel section showing Jynn's blaster frame by frame I learned two things:

1) The barrel shroud does not move with the action, so it does appear all of the shroud is supported/fixed to the lower frame.

2) The blaster prop seems to have an LED added to the tip of the barrel to help with visual effects timing, as with Han's TFA blaster, and Chewie's TFA bowcaster. It's visible in just one frame:

28830279124_7fa38009ed_o.png

Perhaps the hero blaster had the airsoft's barrel fully removed to house those electronics? There would be no need for that extra weight, and it's a separate removable part on the WE P08 to begin with.

Very cool observations!

It all makes perfect sense, I was trying to imagine how the shroud could be attached in order for the action to remain functional, and I came to the same conclusions, that all of these parts are connected.

And good eye catching that LED at the barrel tip! I'd love to add this detail when I do my blaster.

While re-watching the Celebration reel section showing Jynn's blaster frame by frame I learned two things:

1) The barrel shroud does not move with the action, so it does appear all of the shroud is supported/fixed to the lower frame.

The Luger has no moving slide/barrel, and no part slides out to the back. It´s like from one piece, only the round grips on each side move up.

You can glue parts nearly everywhere on it without affecting it working.

That's actually incorrect. The entire upper assembly slides backward sightly when the action cycles, much like a broomhandle Mauser.

I take a day off from Jyn Erso weapons to work on her garments and everyone gets a lot of work done. Great information all around.

Dan beat me to it but yes, the upper certainly moves. His imaged demonstrate it very well, and here's another example. The airsoft would not be able to cycle if the upper were fixed in place:

http://67.media.tumblr.com/f215897ef03d26c8497491312f5ecc72/tumblr_mjwzv7qoSE1s57vgxo1_500.gif

If the addition wraps over the frame, is it possible that the shroud is placed high enough to allow the toggle assembly to slide freely underneath it? If so how much clearance is needed?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back