Han Solo ANH Blaster Flash Hider Color- Finally happy!!

Cameron

Sr Member
So.....While waiting for my new cast parts kit to come in I have been trying to find a way to get an aluminum flash hider to look like steel. I tried every metal treatment available and wasn't happy. I think I nailed it.

Behold::::
photo-4.JPG

It still needs some weathering but if you know the original shine on these you know what Im talking about. I used this::
photo-5.JPG
Airbrush 2 coats straight from the bottle. Let dry. Rub with a paper towel until you like the shine. Weather how ya wish. Sit back and wait for Greedo to show up.

Yes sir there is - Testors Model Master Gun Metal Buffing Metalizer - 1/2 oz. Bottle # 1405

And I don't think my pic above does it justice. Here it is next to aluminum in natural light::

photo-6.JPG
photo-7.JPG
anh_hero55.jpg
last one is the real deal.

Last edited:
No wise guy James.... ;) I tried plain ole gun metal paint and it was suck. I used Buffing Metalizer for the first time and discovered its awesome properties. Its new to me, maybe not to an old pro like you.:darnkids

The look Is great. thanks for the info Cameron. could not have come at a better time. have a project this would be perfect for...

Yeah I was considering doing the 3D printied Bladerunner gun, but I'm not convinced I can get a good metal look out of my finished paint job... especially with 3D print lines to already deal with.

This looks promising...

Yes sir there is - Testors Model Master Gun Metal Buffing Metalizer - 1/2 oz. Bottle # 1405

And I don't think my pic above does it justice. Here it is next to aluminum in natural light::

View attachment 335534
View attachment 335535
View attachment 335536
last one is the real deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Just giving you a hard time Cameron, it looks great. I used gunmetal paint on my Vader helmet and since I had some on-hand when I needed to paint a Hasbro toy DL44 for a costume for my daughter I used it and I agree it gives a great look to the flash hider. Replicating metal on resin is harder than people think, your blaster looks like the real thing.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back