Bandai release schedule

If Bandai ever does the TIE Bomber, I wonder if they'd be clever enough to offer the option of flipping the solar panels to convert it into Captain Needa's shuttle?

View attachment 698834

Huh! So that's what that ship was supposed to look like! All those times I've seen the film, and it just looked like a white rectangular brick or something - I had no idea it was a TIE variant.

Huh! So that's what that ship was supposed to look like! All those times I've seen the film, and it just looked like a white rectangular brick or something - I had no idea it was a TIE variant.
If it was supposed to look like that, I wouldn't feel too bad - ILM also missed it when they built the CG asset for Rogue One, and just made it look like a T/B.

I didn't know it either until, I think, some RPFers had a thread on it a couple years back. There were even original storyboards. I always thought it was just a TIE bomber, but, nope, if you look close the panels have definitely been flopped. star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-8574.jpg

And here's a modeler's replica. http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=88925

- - - Updated - - -

ILM also missed it when they built the CG asset for Rogue One, and just made it look like a T/B.

It was supposed to be in Rogue One?

Re: sideplates removeable

my guess, this just refers to the 6 different "outer-thigh" parts, with the cylinders in different positions as for different leg poses when walking

I didn't know it either until, I think, some RPFers had a thread on it a couple years back. There were even original storyboards. I always thought it was just a TIE bomber, but, nope, if you look close the panels have definitely been flopped. View attachment 699031

- - - Updated - - -

So that previous post you did is the legit TIE shuttle model used in ESB? If so I've NEVER seen that actual model before!

Those Needa's shuttle pics are 100% made up. It was made by our own Moffeaton. He used his creativity to come up with that design. There are no Official pics of what the real model looked like.

Those Needa's shuttle pics are 100% made up. It was made by our own Moffeaton. He used his creativity to come up with that design. There are no Official pics of what the real model looked like.

The shot in the movie, however, is 100% the ILM TIE bomber with the panels flipped and inverted.

I didn't know it either until, I think, some RPFers had a thread on it a couple years back. There were even original storyboards. I always thought it was just a TIE bomber, but, nope, if you look close the panels have definitely been flopped. View attachment 699031

- - - Updated - - -

My impression is that's what they were aiming at with the 2 ships that accompany vader over to the moncal cruiser - looks like two bombers, but makes more sense to me that they were supposed to be the tie shuttles.

My impression is that's what they were aiming at with the 2 ships that accompany vader over to the moncal cruiser - looks like two bombers, but makes more sense to me that they were supposed to be the tie shuttles.

Especially considering the TIE bomber was originally designed for ANH as a boarding craft.
9a41680b9692957d4ede3e79d791e767_zpsdltpy74d.jpg

That ship is so cool, all the excuse i need to get 2 TIE Bombers!

Compared to the shadows on the SD which are similar in length to the height of the objects they come from. The shadow on the TIE's facing middle wing section looks too long to be a shadow from the regular tie wings sticky out wing mount bit. Are there any pictures of the actual ILM Film Model? Id like to see whats going on with that wing.

That ship is so cool, all the excuse i need to get 2 TIE Bombers!

Are there any pictures of the actual ILM Film Model? Id like to see whats going on with that wing.

Not as far as I'm aware of. My guess is also that they just used the Bomber and flipped the wings, easy job and voila, you have another model ready for this shuttle scene.
But Jason Eaton built a very nice looking model based on the storyboard and the few frames from the movie: http://www.makmodeler.com/?tag=gene-kozicki

Edit:
Very interesting topic imo, additional sauce here: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=117311

Last edited:
My guess is also that they just used the Bomber and flipped the wings, easy job and voila, you have another model ready for this shuttle scene.

I think that's a safe assumption. Given the time pressures they were under for important shots, building an entirely new model for the one long distance establishing shot was unnecessary. It was one of many many cheats done throughout all the films. I'm sure if they had the Tyderium model at the time they would've comped that into the shot instead. That being said, it would've been a cool thing had ILM made the TIE Bombers accompanying Vader's shuttle in R1 match this model. That would've been a fun Easter egg for fans to talk about.

That said, how long would a Super Star Destroyer (Executor) be if it was in scale with the current "001-Star Destroyer" kit?

Not an expert, but we discussed this idea a few months ago and I think someone calculated that an Executor model in scale would be over 4 feet in length. A little too large for a kit, unfortunately. At least, one that a company like Bandai would make. Maybe Zvezda would take up that challenge, but I doubt they'd scale their model to match one of Bandai's.

Not as far as I'm aware of. My guess is also that they just used the Bomber and flipped the wings, easy job and voila, you have another model ready for this shuttle scene.

But Jason Eaton built a very nice looking model based on the storyboard and the few frames from the movie: http://www.makmodeler.com/?tag=gene-kozicki

Edit:
Very interesting topic imo, additional sauce here: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=117311

Thanks for the links! Yes the long shadow would be explained if they had left the inner wing mounts on the wings and just flipped them over real quick. Jason Eaton's cool model is how they would have made it given extra time i think.

Hopefully if Bandai make the TIE Bomber they can engineer it so it the hubs and outside sections can easily be flipped over and with a few extra pieces, make this shuttle, if anyone can do it Bandai can!

If not ill bodge it myself haha!

As I recall, the original Incredible Cross Sections book had the TIE Boarding Craft as a small illustration in it (maybe in the hangar on the Star Destroyer page), i.e. showing it as the same configuration as a TIE bomber.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back