Prop Dealer Review - Prop Store, ScreenUsed, Premiere Props

Despite my past issues, I couldn't help but buy two Book of Eli pieces in the last auction. I have had really good luck when dealing directly with Dawn. Was very sad to see her email is no longer working for Premiere Props... :(

I am expecting another 90+ day ship time... you know, like back in the 70s...

That's interesting, I wonder why her Email doesn't work... Unless something changed in the last year or so since I've bought anything, she's Dan's wife (i.e., the owners...). Maybe her Email was getting a little 'busy'...
If Crystal is still there, she was always great to work with too...
I have other issues with the company and some of their practices, but I always found the people there to be pleasant to deal with.

I won a dress with boots and my friend won and jacket from babylon 5. so nothing special

If these are still at Juliens, I can pick them up and ship them for you, shouldn't be a problem. Find out what they would need from me so I can pick them up...

Rik

Despite my past issues, I couldn't help but buy two Book of Eli pieces in the last auction. I have had really good luck when dealing directly with Dawn. Was very sad to see her email is no longer working for Premiere Props... :(

I am expecting another 90+ day ship time... you know, like back in the 70s...

I find that pretty fascinating since I called multiple times this week (including today) and Dawn was the one that answered the phone. I think this is just another ploy/distraction to get customers and consignors off their backs. Dawn of course still works there. She will probably just give you a different name but it's her. When things get hot in the kitchen... well you guys know the rest. That's what going on. She has to get out all that heat so its easy to claim being someone else. Dawn & Dan are married and they are the owners so I wouldn't trust whoever said she no longer works there (which was probably her).

I don't want there to be any confusion. No one told me Dawn was gone, but my email to her (at her Premiere Props addy) was delayed and finally returned as unbelievable but she and I have talked often at that address.

Thanks for the review Art. But it begs the question – why do you keep going back to PP? IMO, there is NOTHING that they could offer up that would make it worth my while to deal with them.

ANY business that says they'll take 10-12 weeks to put an item in a box and ship it – a five minute job under normal circumstances – is someone I never need to deal with. It defies common sense that this sort of business practice should ever be acceptable.

Propstore - great to deal with

ScreenUsed - great to deal with. I just got a kick-butt piece from their recent auction and received it 3 days after I paid.

Profiles – constantly exaggerates (I'll be kind) details regarding their pieces and have put actual fakes on the cover of their catalogs. I'd question EVERYTHING they claim. They also once lost my bid on a $10,000 item!

Premiere – why would I ever deal with them?

Don

Last edited:
Don, that is a valid question. I feel a little like a glutton for punishment... The thing is, they are offering pieces I simply can't get anywhere else and offering them at pennies on the dollar. In this case, it was more Book of Eli swords, something I really want in my collection. Sadly, no one else is offering those pieces. I actively look for things to purchase from Prop Store and Screen Used. I only buy from Premiere when it is something I want and there is no viable alternative... but I don't do it with any amount of joy.

In contrast to this situation, I'll quickly share another Prop Store story which highlights why I love them so much. As most of you know, I picked up an awesome Myrmidon costume from Prop Store last year. Unfortunately, the costume was incomplete, missing the correct bracers. I asked Stephen to keep an eye out and even though it was unlikely to ever run across the right bracers, I'd like him to help me find them. Now, you have to understand, these are small items, not of a great deal of value, but completing the costume means the world to me. Well, just yesterday, Stephen contacted me and what had he found? The bracers I need! Prop Store sells items for thousands and tens of thousands of dollars.... but they took the time to remember this for me. That level of service is just awesome and I sure wish we saw more of that type of approach from others, but then, I guess that is what makes Prop Store who it is.

Don, that is a valid question. I feel a little like a glutton for punishment... The thing is, they are offering pieces I simply can't get anywhere else and offering them at pennies on the dollar. In this case, it was more Book of Eli swords, something I really want in my collection. Sadly, no one else is offering those pieces. I actively look for things to purchase from Prop Store and Screen Used. I only buy from Premiere when it is something I want and there is no viable alternative... but I don't do it with any amount of joy.

Well, I have to say that if you're looking for a good reason to deal with douchebags, that's a pretty good one! Luckily for me they've never had anything remotely important to me.

D

I am taken by the genuine suprise of fellow members here, as if good customer service is somehow an amazing achievment of some kind, when you think about the fact that you are often paying double, sometimes even three or four times the actual price/value of a prop....then I would say good customer service is the least you should be given!

Which is exactly why Im in the same boat as Art. I don't particularly like waiting 8 weeks for a prop from PP but if its $50 instead of the $500 that a dealer might charge that is the trade off.

Sadly we live in an imperfect world.

Someone asked me what the trade off was from buying from a private party. Well as some here know 6 months after you buy it the Feds want their Spiderman suit back.

Thanks for this review. There is nothing more infuriating than being a good, prompt paying customer and running into a business that's treats you with a careless and cavalier attitude.

After 3 weeks without any information about my items from Premiere props. I opened a case at paypal. Well, I got an answer from PP... invoice for the shipping costs and a tracking number.

I also got a nice answer by paypal from PP:
Shipping charges have been emailed to you. (NOPE) Typically this process takes a few weeks (approx 4-6 weeks). However we have expedited your order for you. Once you pay the invoice for shipping charges we will have USPS pick your order up. It is packed and ready to go. Thank you!

I called Premiere yesterday about the items I won a month ago. The person didn't identify themselves (it was a guy... maybe Dan?), but took my number and assured me someone would return my call to give me an update. Nothing yet. :(

The worst thing about PP is that they have all these cool props that you want to bid on...
I took a chance last year even though i know they suck...
After several months without a word (invoice took a few hours to receive...) i emailed them and asked whats going on?! The next day they replied " well get back to you shortly with tracking"....but nothing! A few weeks later i get a letter from customs that i have a package waiting without any info and they are asking what it is and when thats taken care of i get my package almost 6 months after paying. The item was not complete as in the auction but i emailed again and told them i dont care (no comment back..) as long as i can have the COA (also missing)
Ok,How would you like your coa then? Email or letter....Geez...Send an email... Ok i get a crappy coa in the mail without a stamp which clearly is stated on the coa is wothless without.... OMG how the hell are they still in business????!!!!

Last edited:
OMG how the hell are they still in business????!!!!

keep-calm-and-think-again-2.png

The answer is just a few lines above this post... :D

I'm starting to look for more props on Ebay, can some of you please provide information on which sellers sell there are and their usernames? Thank you.

Are you new to original movie memorabilia collecting?

If you do, i'd avoid ebay at all costs for now... or seek advice here or on similar boards before commiting to purchase anything.

For what it is worth, this thread was started due to my frustration with Premiere's lack of communication and excessive shipping time. Despite not wanting to go through that again, I picked up two more pieces (becaue they were dirt cheap) in their March 14th auction and they arrived yesterday, 41 days later, from one state over. Still, pretty weak when Prop Store sends me things in two days from an entire ocean away, but still, for Premiere, a marked improvement over the last time. Getting my pieces in just over a month, sadly, seemed speedy.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back