Upside-down Kobold?

ms80444

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
(If this has been discussed elsewhere already, please let me know, I just haven't seen it.)

While watching ESB the other day, I happened to catch this moment when Luke cuts himself down in the Wampa cave.

That looks a lot like the orientation of the Kobold clip updside down as on the Skywalker Ranch saber. I put one of the screencaps in black and white cause sometimes it's easier to evaluate. That darker area towards the top would seem to indicate to me it's recessed matching the upside down Kobold clip, but I suppose it could just be a lighting illusion as well.

Would love other opinions.

Attachments

• kobold comparison.JPG
    kobold comparison.JPG
    893.5 KB · Views: 646
Last edited:
Whoa!

Well, the wampa cave saber we famously look at for detail is most likely a stunt, given there are BTS shots of a PA holding it by the blade in the snow to shake it as Luke calls it to his hand. If that close up was second unit, it;s very possible a different stunt was used in Luke's hand.

It COULD be the ranch saber.... or, maybe every other hero had the Kobold clip upside down and it was just that single stunt that got the close-up that had it the way we all know.
Sym-Cha teecrooz halliwax roygilsing veektohr thd9791 scottjua

What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
@SethS - that’s sort of originally what had me looking. I wondered if the upside down, which we all accepted as wrong could possible be right, and the “correct” way was actually the one off. But i can’t find any evidence of any picture or anywhere else in the movie where it’s clear it’s upside down.

Ive also made a bunch of other observtions/things for discussion that I’ll post in another thread once I figure out a way to compile everything clearly.

I saw this at lunch time, I have a good theory about the ranch saber being the wampa cave saber (not the saber luke swings at the wampa)

But the saber in the snow, that saber is also the one thrown to him (u can see the black screw in the clamp.)

I’m off to the hospital now, once my world calms down I’ll be back with my wampa cave theories.

I don’t want to be a negative nelly so before I say anything I want to look at these on my computer screen rather then my beat up old phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MS, do u have a picture of this actual scene? Is this when Luke leans up to the ceiling to cut himself free?

I saw this at lunch time, I have a good theory about the ranch saber being the wampa cave saber (not the saber luke swings at the wampa)

But the saber in the snow, that saber is also the one thrown to him (u can see the black screw in the clamp.)

I’m off to the hospital now, once my world calms down I’ll be back with my wampa cave theories.

I don’t want to be a negative nelly so before I say anything I want to look at these on my computer screen rather then my beat up old phone

Hope all is ok Halliwax! Best wishes for sure.

But yes, whenever life calms down, by all means feel free to poke holes. (Though I think I have some evidence to the contrary).

This is a small part of some things I’ve been looking at and some observations and thoughts I have. Before I posted a full rundown of things, was sort using this as a barometer to see if I’m just way off base.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve always been very interested in the Ranch Saber and am seriously contemplating doing a build of it one day. It would be incredible learn that not all the things we think are “wrong” with it arnt that wrong after all.

MS, do u have a picture of this actual scene? Is this when Luke leans up to the ceiling to cut himself free?

Yes, it’s the very quick shot that happens right after he calls the saber to his hand and leans up to cut himself free from the ice holding his feet.

Here is a larger screenshot I think I cropped and adjusted from this.
d7890261718b7228d4c854a93d82a138.jpg

Thanks, my dads been good the past couple months. He’s crippled right now in pain. We will see where this goes

This stuff helps me keep sane and escape the real world troubles. I thought that was this scene! Wicked find!

When I get home I’ll explain my theory on the ranch saber, I talked with one of my mentors about it a lot actually

Tom if u don’t mind stepping in and explaining to you what I showed you I don’t mind one bit. I don’t know how long I’m gonna be held up

Ms, thanks for the concern. Much appreciated buddy, one of the main reasons I love this site is because of the kind community. With all the other forums I’m on I’ve seen nothing like this one when it comes to helping and concern

Love all you guys

I’ve always been very interested in the Ranch Saber and am seriously contemplating doing a build of it one day. It would be incredible learn that not all the things we think are “wrong” with it arnt that wrong after all.

I think the ranch saber is fascinating too. I don’t love it aesthetically, but I’m certainly interested in its journey to be the SRS (if such a journey even exists).

Thanks, my dads been good the past couple months. He’s crippled right now in pain. We will see where this goes

This stuff helps me keep sane and escape the real world troubles. I thought that was this scene! Wicked find!

When I get home I’ll explain my theory on the ranch saber, I talked with one of my mentors about it a lot actually

Tom if u don’t mind stepping in and explaining to you what I showed you I don’t mind one bit. I don’t know how long I’m gonna be held up

Ms, thanks for the concern. Much appreciated buddy, one of the main reasons I love this site is because of the kind community. With all the other forums I’m on I’ve seen nothing like this one when it comes to helping and concern

Love all you guys

Hey man thoughts out to your family!

I'm going to vote no, and here's why.

The Kobold clip, being a C channel item likes to make a dark shadow from a distance. Both the blue and light screencaps have that shadow - but it stops halfway down the kobold. The shadow actually extends up onto the glove, not even sure how this is happening :D

The kobold rear face is flat for half the length and raised and concave the rest. The coincidence that the shadow stops halfway, and the Kobold changes halfway, make me think it's the same as the famous one. in fact, in the first collage, I see a gradual lightening left to right, as if it's a concave surface, like the back of a Kobold clip.

That being said, I've heard Halliwax's related theory and I heartily support it. Good luck buddy, wishing you lots of strength!

I'm going to vote no, and here's why.

The Kobold clip, being a C channel item likes to make a dark shadow from a distance. Both the blue and light screencaps have that shadow - but it stops halfway down the kobold. The shadow actually extends up onto the glove, not even sure how this is happening :D

The kobold rear face is flat for half the length and raised and concave the rest. The coincidence that the shadow stops halfway, and the Kobold changes halfway, make me think it's the same as the famous one. in fact, in the first collage, I see a gradual lightening left to right, as if it's a concave surface, like the back of a Kobold clip.

That being said, I've heard Halliwax's related theory and I heartily support it. Good luck buddy, wishing you lots of strength!

Thanks for the vote and the feedback! I definitely see what you’re saying. The only things that give me pause are this:

1) the rivet circles as seen in the other shots are very large and noticeable. Granted this is a bad pic, but even with a bad picture, I feel like we should be able to make out some semblance of two pretty large rivet holes if they were right on top as we’ve seen.

2) that change between light and dark does also line up with where the screws start on flipped clip as on the ranch saber. So I thought perhaps the screws were reflecting enough light back to make that area appear a bit mushy.

Either way thanks for chiming in!

So this gets ugly fast considering it’s now a picture of a picture of a picture, but still an interesting comparison anyway.

This is my vintage clip that I put in the usual configuration on the left and ranch configuration on the right in case anyone wants to see the clip next to the picture in question.
117281b6f92618f15fc6f3ab3534b919.jpg

You have a point about not being able to see rivet heads clearly.

I'll throw in... there were other stunt sabers.

sabers1-vi.jpgdv_ls_rotj_11.jpg

and yes, Vader's Graflex was​ a rebuilt ESB stunt, allen screws and all :)

I'll be honest I just see the regular ol' configuration : / I kinda see it on one pic... maybe. Now I'll probably go back and forth a bajillion times second guessing myself.

Check out page 11 of my handy lightsaber guide amd you’ll two examples of the clip in the traditional arrangement, negating my statement about the cave being the only time we see it that way.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back