Movies That Need a Special Edition

Tan Djarka

Sr Member
I'm not talking about changing the narrative or adding to or taking from the films necessarily. Just a little polish here and there, cleaning up the things that don't quite work.
My vote? The 1999 edition of "The Mummy". It's not the greatest film ever, but it's entertaining. Some of the VFX, even for the time, just seems sub par.

Last edited:
The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions. Maybe to turn them into good movies? I dunno, maybe that's asking too much.

Star Wars, the first one.
Just fix the matte lines around the TIE fighters and the unanimated saber blades in the Vader/Kenobi duel.
Sync up Vader's dialogue with his hand gestures.
That's all. Nothing else. Just fix what's broke and leave the rest alone.

I don't see that as a "special edition." I see that as more of an "archival edition." Even then, I go back and forth on the Vader/Kenobi blades thing.

I think the bulk of your "special editions" would be in the form of films done after the CGI boom really hit, but which were done with what is now very dated CGI.

Even then, I would want the original version preserved. Looking at the development of F/X is part of film history and is important, in my opinion. It's often what shows just how amazing something looked when it first came out.

The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions. Maybe to turn them into good movies? I dunno, maybe that's asking too much.
Reckon there was a good film hiding in those two films if it was edited down to just the one. But like most things, a trilogy is required.

Could say same for the Hobbit films which were utterly abysmal (edits are available online)

I don't see that as a "special edition." I see that as more of an "archival edition." Even then, I go back and forth on the Vader/Kenobi blades thing.

I think the bulk of your "special editions" would be in the form of films done after the CGI boom really hit, but which were done with what is now very dated CGI.

Even then, I would want the original version preserved. Looking at the development of F/X is part of film history and is important, in my opinion. It's often what shows just how amazing something looked when it first came out.

The first Jurassic Park falls into this category I believe.

Yeah, the IJ trilogy. No need to cgi everything, just digitally clean up the rough 8s compositing. There's a couple composite shots in Alien that could use touch up as well.

Oh and about 50% of the cg in the PT is already dated looking. Why the eff would you make every Clonetrooper cg when you could have one dude in a practical suit and digitally replicate him? UGH.

Maybe a better shark for Jaws? I know that would displease the hardcore fans - I'm sure the janky shark is part of the charm. But making unnecessary updates to films is what Special Editions are all about ;)

Maybe a better shark for Jaws? I know that would displease the hardcore fans - I'm sure the janky shark is part of the charm. But making unnecessary updates to films is what Special Editions are all about ;)

No! No! No! No! No!. Did I say no, if not, NO!. Yes it is part of the charm but the fact that the damn thing didn't work properly is what made it such a suspenseful movie. For the first half you had to use your imagination and as most of us know our imaginations can come up with things much worse than any movie ever could. I don't care how good cgi is you could never get the same feeling as having something real even it if was made of whatever it was made of.

As much as I hate to even say it, I would love a special edition of Evil Dead 2. Wire removal (which they already did for one scene but not the others which is weird), digitally adding the ceiling to the cabin instead of seeing the soundstage, etc. I would especially love to update some of the stop motion background plates.

Especially the Ash vs Henrietta fight, which notably drops in quality and looks out of focus because of the rear projection. It really sticks out in, what is otherwise, my favorite scene.

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 8.31.59 PM.png

Maybe a better shark for Jaws? I know that would displease the hardcore fans - I'm sure the janky shark is part of the charm. But making unnecessary updates to films is what Special Editions are all about

No! No! No! No! No!. Did I say no, if not, NO!. Yes it is part of the charm but the fact that the damn thing didn't work properly is what made it such a suspenseful movie. For the first half you had to use your imagination and as most of us know our imaginations can come up with things much worse than any movie ever could. I don't care how good cgi is you could never get the same feeling as having something real even it if was made of whatever it was made of.

A truly realistic JAWS shark is possible now.

You wouldn't get it by hiring a cheap effects company. But it's possible if a top team was on the job (and not crunched under tight cost or time deadlines).

A good SE would mean no editing changes. The directing & editing of JAWS are perfect. The movie doesn't need a single new shot. The SFX in the existing shots could use work.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a couple composite shots in Alien that could use touch up as well.
It always irritated me to see the same star background in the first two shots of the Nostromo. The VFX were outstanding in these shots but when you cut to another view at the ship you usually expect the star positions to be different as well. :)

INDEED! To be honest, I was completely shocked when I saw the latest HD version. Picture quality improved drastically, so that was a huge plus. However, they changed nearly all sound effects to go with modern surround tech. No eerie screech at the blackboard, no ear-cutting glass shattering, and no "Ka-Boom!" at the end! Thank goodness I still have the original version in my archive. :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back