Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
If the resistance have a slightly faster top speed than the FO how did they not outrun them? And why would running out of fuel slow them down? It’s not lazy writing it’s incompetent writing but we have your permission to not like it so that’s ok!

They have always slowed down without thrust. And banked when making turns. The physics of space in the Star Wars universe have always been quasi-atmospheric fantasy. It was a stylistic choice Lucas specifically made from the beginning -- just like including the sounds in space -- which was utilized in TLJ. But go ahead and call it incompetent if it helps you sleep at night.

Except the resistance ships in TLJ weren’t “still coasting” when they ran out of fuel they were coming to a dead stop and actually sinking in space lol.

Everybody keeps acting like the camera is stationary. It's moving at the same pace as the ship. Speed is relative to the observer. What we are really seeing is the ship losing attitude control after running out of fuel. The first hit of a weapon would cause it to slide off axis after it can't self correct. Hell, even the exit of the escape craft could start it rolling. The overall physics of the scene are are workable, it's the First Order's strategy that's the problem.

I don't get all the comparisons of Leia and Mary Poppins. If the films wern't owned by Disney I doubt there would be any comparing. Leia reaches out, not up to hold an umbrella and floats vertically towards the ship. If anything it's more Supergirl than Mary Poppins and I still think the comparison is dumb. It was cool to see that after all these years Leia became more adept at the Force. Why wouldn't she?

I don't get all the comparisons of Leia and Mary Poppins. If the films wern't owned by Disney I doubt there would be any comparing. Leia reaches out, not up to hold an umbrella and floats vertically towards the ship. If anything it's more Supergirl than Mary Poppins and I still think the comparison is dumb. It was cool to see that after all these years Leia became more adept at the Force. Why wouldn't she?

Absolutely nothing to do with the Disney connection. It's purely the visual, the way she glides/moves is very similar to how Poppins flies, and with the hand reaching out , it really looked like it needed an umbrella in it. You'd have to be blind, or in serious denial to not see it.

Most people made the link themselves, I did while watching it on opening night midnight show, by the time I got to the net other people were making the same comparison.

It failed because it's just an average film that next to nobody wanted to begin with.

Well... just looking at those of us here who bothered to participate in the poll that doesn't seem to be the case. And that's just among those who bothered to vote!

Screenshot (753).png

Well... just looking at those of us here who bothered to participate in the poll that doesn't seem to be the case. And that's just among those who bothered to vote!

View attachment 820961

One:

* Can't help the fact that so many on this small forum, including yourself have standards lower than Lando's ability to pass up porking anything with a port hole.

Two:

* The box office seems to overwhelmingly agree with my high SW IQ assessment of this mediocre film.

Except the resistance ships in TLJ weren’t “still coasting” when they ran out of fuel they were coming to a dead stop and actually sinking in space lol.

I. Just. Said. The camera was mostly keeping pace with the Resistance ships in those shots. Like, for dramatic effect when filming a freeway scene having the hero cars going about 80 while the camera car does 75. Now add in if all those cars -- including the camera car -- were accelerating (with the camera car accelerating slightly less rapidly to maintain the dynamism of the shot), and then one car stopped accelerating at 55 and held steady. The rest would leave it in the dust pretty quickly. That's not "coming to a dead stop". As fast as they had to have already been going? If one of those ships actually stopped, it'd look like it was shooting toward the FO ships at a million miles an hour.

And then, as another responder noted, when they came into FO cannon range and started getting shot, they started to tumble.

I just hate it when people complain about the science in Star Wars because Lightsabers are impossible, the force impossible, laser blasters impossible. tie fighters screaming in space impossible. But we all accept those things, but Leia using the force in outer space, "oh thats just absurd" ships running out of fuel and slowing down," that's just ridiculous."

And me, I hate the "it's all impossible, so why worry" card. Mainly because it's far from impossible. We have the science to make blasters and lightsabers -- albeit so early in things like superconductors and plasma physics that they'd be laughably primitive. I don't mean clunky and inefficient. I mean a largish building to act as the lightsaber's "emitter", the blade would be quite tenuous, and it would require several power plants to make it go. Star Wars is several tens of thousands of years of advancement, amplification, and miniaturization of all of that.

We have anecdotal accounts of Force-like phenomena going back ages that deserve further serious study (rather than being dismissed as hokey religions and simple tricks and nonsense). We have theoretical models of hyperspace, though we don't have the means to access it yet, let alone travel through it. About the only thing we can't at least theoretically explain is artificial gravity and tractor beams, and that's because we're still trying to figure out what gravity is.

Sound in space is just a conceit to make it more interesting and exciting, same with having spacecraft behave aerodynamically. I can accept that. I've even seen decent rationalizations for it in-universe, but that's not relevant to why it was done in the first place.

And as for Leia's use of the Force in TLJ, I'll add in this quote to reply to both:

Absolutely nothing to do with the Disney connection. It's purely the visual, the way she glides/moves is very similar to how Poppins flies, and with the hand reaching out , it really looked like it needed an umbrella in it. You'd have to be blind, or in serious denial to not see it.

Most people made the link themselves, I did while watching it on opening night midnight show, by the time I got to the net other people were making the same comparison.

I saw the first showing, so I hadn't come across anyone making the reference prior to going in. When I started seeing it pop up, I thought it was more in the way of verbal shorthand than pejorative. Because I didn't get that from the scene at all. From not being fussed that she didn't die instantly (you wouldn't), and not from the visual of it. It made perfect sense to me -- she reached out, found the ship in the Force, grabbed onto it (probably specifically the bridge hatch), and pulled, which, because it was so much more massive than she, caused her to move to it. No Mary Poppins vibe. Wrong direction, wrong orientation. She wasn't using an umbrella as a magic parachute. She was using the Force as a personal tractor beam. She was doing the same thing as Luke calling his lightsaber to his hand -- just on something way to big to respond in the same way. So for all that a nonzero number of people have issues with that shot, it's subjective, because a lot didn't.

All, I haven't been able to have eyes on any of the 'art of', 'making of', visual dictionary' books as yet, but if anyone has, are there any photos of the Dryden Vos party guests in them? Interested for personal reasons. If you can't post pics here, can someone throw me a PM letting me know if there are any around. thanks guys.

If someone doesn't get it to you before I do, I'll be glad to. Which officer were you? Second time I saw it was after you revealed your presence, so I was specifically looking for Imperial officers, and there are several candidates. I couldn't see faces very well in the mood lighting.

Can't help the fact that so many on this small forum, including yourself have standards lower than Lando's ability to pass up porking anything with a port hole.

Far from established in the film. Quite the opposite. Dialogue makes clear they've never "done" anything. I got the first time, and tried without success to see if I'd misunderstood the second, that he's fond of her despite her quirks, is annoyed enough by them that he would have wiped her memory if not for her nav data* (which isn't the act of any kind of loving/respectful partner), and that the sexual tension is all projecting on her part.

[*I've seen some pass off the memory-wipe comment as either playful sniping between them or "bro banter" with Han. But it was neither. His comment to Han wasn't loud enough for her to hear, as his calling to her in the same conversation shows. And his offhandedness in mentioning the wipe was the sort of casual unthinkingness most in the GFFA show toward droids, not the "welllll, dude, you know I'd totally wipe that b****'s memory" kind of fronting dudebros do about SO's they don't want to appear "whipped" by.]

The box office seems to overwhelmingly agree with my high SW IQ assessment of this mediocre film.

The objective facts do not support your narrative. I and others have mentioned them upthread, but they obviously are just bouncing off. It's also obvious we're not going to convince you that you're... in error where the facts are concerned, but at least please drop this talking point. Those who point to its box office numbers as proof of failure already know it. Those who understand the larger context of what's going on are tired of seeing a debunked assertion continually repeated in hopes it will become the truth. I respect your opinion on a lot of things, Moo, but not this.

I.just.sad. is right... Exactly how fast *were* they all going? You keep making up all kinds of numbers and “facts” because:science but for all of your smug, “I have the answer-to-everything”, long-winded replies, your explanations amount to nothing. If the scene has to be explained, th n it just wasn’t very good.

If people thought the scene looked ridiculous, it’s because it was. If people thought the whole space chase was a lazy bit of writing because they had no other ideas, it’s because it was. If people thought Leia looked like Mary Poppins, it’s because she did. Perception IS reality, and many many fans had those perceptions. You don’t see it!? Terrific. Enjoy your movie.
These are only minor infractions compared to everything else in this “film” which helped add up to a movie that half the fan base despises. Also turning out to be one big reason that many of said fan base apparently decided they’ll sit this movie out.

Back to Solo, the topic of this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I saw it today and thought it was good. Glad they brought Maul back...want to see him in the obiwan movie like right now. I know they did the whole clone wars / rebels voice actor but I would have preferred no laughing...just keep him serious and to the point. Only other issue was Bennett's crew dying right after we met them.

And yet the $1B+ in box office TLJ did was used to try and make the case people will see bad movies with just a Star Wars name, can't have it both ways.

The BO for The Last Jedi was based on the set up from The Force Awakens. Once the reality set in and it set in fairly quickly, it dropped off a cliff. Recent events have more than highlighted that the world is not happy with that movie. That or there must be an overabundance of people living in their mom`s basement.

And yet the $1B+ in box office TLJ did was used to try and make the case people will see bad movies with just a Star Wars name, can't have it both ways.
That movie did well because everyone wanted to see the story from TFA continue, myself included. So everyone saw it when it came out. Samething with Batman v Superman, everyone saw it, thought it sucked, thats why Justice League underperformed. Big time. Same exact thing with Solo. TLJ was ass after word of mouth, so now people were hesitant on Solo.

Lets come back to this when Ep 9 comes out and see what the BO take is...

I.just.sad. is right...

:lol

Exactly how fast *were* they all going? You keep making up all kinds of numbers and “facts” because:science but for all of your smug, “I have the answer-to-everything”, long-winded replies, your explanations amount to nothing.

We don't know how fast, which is one of my issue with the sequence -- lack of referents. But it also doesn't matter. All ships are accelerating. Whether it's from 20mph to 30mph or 50,000mph to 70,000 mph or whatever isn't relevant. All of them are accelerating. The Resistance ships are able to accelerate faster. When a ship runs out of fuel it stops accelerating. It doesn't stop. It just isn't going any faster, so the ships that are still accelerating will leave it behind. But...

If the scene has to be explained, th n it just wasn’t very good.

Exactly. That was one thing the sequence dropped the ball on. The other being that it made no sense. I'm not trying to excuse or justify the plot point, just correct some misinterpretations of it.

If people thought Leia looked like Mary Poppins, it’s because she did. You don’t see it!? Terrific. Enjoy your movie.

My whole point with that is that it's definitely subjective, not the objective Truth™ being asserted.

These are only minor infractions which helped add up to a movie that half the fan base despises, and one big reason that many of said fan base apparently decided they’ll sit this movie out.

Oh, I definitely hold TLJ up there (down there?) with AOTC as the film I like least. Both have bits I like, some that I like a lot, but other bits are awful, and the overall mix is less than satisfying. I don't despise either of them, but I definitely ride the fast-forward button with both (moreso with AOTC, though, actually). What bugs me is people using their attitude about the one to inform their attitude about the other. The whole evolution of Solo-the-film, for me, went from vaguely curious to cringing to frustrated to guardedly hopeful to somewhat enthusiastic. It should not be punished for TLJ's failings.

Most of Solo's issues... aren't.

I never expected or demanded an actor who was a Harrison doppelganger. I've seen way too many instances over the years of actors picked to play younger or older versions of another actor who look nothing like. Most relevantly, River Phoenix as Young Indy, and Ewan MacGregor as Young Obi-Wan. But they made the parts their own, and I can see them growing into the character we already knew. So I was more willing to give Alden a chance than some.

And I have known since the '90s that if they ever showed his backstory on-screen, they'd tick off the joining the Empire, meeting Chewie, getting kicked out of the Empire, meeting Lando, winning the Falcon, and doing the Kessel Run boxes. What mattered more to me was how they chose to show those, and I am largely satisfied with the creative choices. I like the references to Legends/EU material that got worked in. I like L3 over Vuffi Raa. Much as I would have loved to have seen Han's time at the Academy, I'm okay with that sequence being cut for narrative purposes (and for the cute segue: "We'll have you flying in no time." *cut to Han flying through the air from a nearby explosion*)

I like it. Not everyone will, but the vast majority that have seen it do, a little or a lot. Me? This is one I'm going to enjoy watching over and over. *shrug* YMMV. But I do think the fence-sitters and punishing-TLJ-by-not-seeing-Solo folks are in the minority of those who have skipped it (at least, so far). In the last month, I've seen Infinity War twice, Rampage and Deadpool 2 once each, and then Solo twice opening weekend. A lot of people don't or can't afford to go to the movies that frequently. Or don't have the groups of friends that I like to see movies with that are part of the draw of the experience for me, as opposed to always going with family or alone. But I've seen a lot of "uff... maybe in a week or two, I'm movied out right now" sentiments. We'll have to wait and see, but I still feel this one will be a slow burn, not a crash-and-burn.

2807a7b0f32ac31f_i_can_do_this_all_day.xxxlarge.gif

And as for Leia's use of the Force in TLJ, I'll add in this quote to reply to both:

I saw the first showing, so I hadn't come across anyone making the reference prior to going in. When I started seeing it pop up, I thought it was more in the way of verbal shorthand than pejorative. Because I didn't get that from the scene at all. From not being fussed that she didn't die instantly (you wouldn't), and not from the visual of it. It made perfect sense to me -- she reached out, found the ship in the Force, grabbed onto it (probably specifically the bridge hatch), and pulled, which, because it was so much more massive than she, caused her to move to it. No Mary Poppins vibe. Wrong direction, wrong orientation. She wasn't using an umbrella as a magic parachute. She was using the Force as a personal tractor beam. She was doing the same thing as Luke calling his lightsaber to his hand -- just on something way to big to respond in the same way. So for all that a nonzero number of people have issues with that shot, it's subjective, because a lot didn't.

You know we all get that, right? There's no need to explain it like I'm 5 years old! It's totally obvious what's happening there. And doesn't change the fact that it takes a hell of a lot more than a spoonful of sugar to help that scene go down.

doesn't change the fact that it takes a hell of a lot more than a spoonful of sugar to help that scene go down.

For you. I honestly cannot comprehend the distaste for that shot. She moves in a straight line from where she was flung by the explosive decompression of the bridge... to the hatch. I don't know how else it could have been filmed to convey that. I can't think of any other angle or perspective that wouldn't have it looking the way it just had to look due to what was happening. I'm baffled that this shot, of all things, has so many people hating it.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back