The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Any word on if these Star-Lord helmets will be sold through Toys R Us like the other Marvel Legends items? Also, any news if/when these will find their way to Canada? I'm tempted to pull the trigger and buy from Amazon.com, but the conversion to $187 Canadian is hard to justify.

How does the size of the hasbro helmet compare to the ones made by members here?

I'll take better photos tomorrow, but I grabbed some shots with my 3d printed helmet. My own helmet actually took some damage at the last con I brought it to, so it's missing the side pipes. It was printed to scale to fit my 24" head, but it's just a raw PLA item, so I don't know how it stacks up against some of the other resin cast helmets I've seen.

Eyes on the Marvel one are a bit closer together. I like the Marvel one better, to be honest, and will probably repaint it, instead of taking the time to repair my 3d printed version. It's a lot more comfortable, too. That said, the eyes on mine are brighter. :D

Has anyone bought the star lord Vol 2 short jacket from USAJACKET? It looks pretty accurate and wanted to know if it looks like the picture and if it's worth it ( even though it's PU leather)

Last edited:
Well, I thought I'd earn my keep here after lurking for so long, here's some sizing shots, hope its useful :

1.jpg 2 (2).jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg7.jpg 7.5.jpg 7.6.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg10.jpg 3.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg16.jpg 17.jpg 18.jpg 19.jpg 20.jpg

I've modified the Marvel Legends to add the side LED, replaced the lenses with scored lenses from my XCoser (pic is before painting and with stock light source intact), LED light strips to create the ring around the eyes (and blue filters behind for visibility), and painted with a charcoal metallic finish. Very happy with the result.

4fec823e35097e67b239a67f80f58204.jpg

eeb28ebf9a68faa7dfc8305f2e20cd8e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STARLORD78
That USAJACKET offering is too expensive for PU. There are better budget options on ebay. Look at the "DFYM" Star-Lord jacket. You can also find some real leather jackets for the same price as the USAJACKET that look similar to it.
Maulevolent
Looks great. Anxiously awaiting a lens kit to be offered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Long time lurker first time poster.
I got into cosplay and prop crafting about 2 years ago. Recently I whipped together an Aero Rig about 2 days before the release of GotG vol 2 out of EVA foam. After I posted a few pics on Facebook of it I had a couple requests to have them commissioned. I hand delivered the first one to my customer last week. He seemed pretty satisfied. I'm super excited to be making more of these due to the demand. I've made some paper templates to help speed up my process and produce a more consistent product.
Once I figure out how to post photos I will.
-Vinnie

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work on the aero rig :thumbsup

And welcome to the community!

You should sign up for a premium membership if you want to sell stuff, it will allow you to start a legit project run thread ;)

@STARLORD78
That USAJACKET offering is too expensive for PU. There are better budget options on ebay. Look at the "DFYM" Star-Lord jacket. You can also find some real leather jackets for the same price as the USAJACKET that look similar to it.
@Maulevolent
Looks great. Anxiously awaiting a lens kit to be offered.
Is the DYFM an actual leather jacket or pleather?

I also just received the Marvel Legends series helmet. Overall it looks very close to the screen used version. There's only one major difference I noticed where the 3 braided tube greeblies on the side are intersected by the respirator tubing. (I circled the area in red on one of the photos for reference). I don't think that's the case with the actual prop.

Otherwise the only other differences seem to be paint job. Obviously not as metallic as real metal. And they obviously mass produced the "weathering" on the mask, which you can tell is just silver "scratches" painted over the gray portions. But overall the helmet is 90% of the way there. Really accurate for a $100 piece.

I decided to give it a wash with some acrylic paints to make it feel more worn-in. Out of the box it feels too "new" - even with the aforementioned weathering they did. I also took a silver sharpie to a bunch of edges of the dark gray portion. It really helped to make it look like worn metal. See below:

Before weathering:

IMG_9746.JPGIMG_9747.JPGIMG_9751.JPG
IMG_9756-1.JPGIMG_9757.JPGIMG_9755-1.JPG

After weathering:

IMG_9758.JPGIMG_9759-1.JPGIMG_9760-1.JPG

The new marvel select helmets can't be 1:1 I know that's what they are advertised as, but these things are big. On the original you can see Chris pratts forehead a bit and a lot of his neck. These are much bigger. Obviously they are nice but I thought I'd point out they aren't 1:1

The new marvel select helmets can't be 1:1 I know that's what they are advertised as, but these things are big. On the original you can see Chris pratts forehead a bit and a lot of his neck. These are much bigger. Obviously they are nice but I thought I'd point out they aren't 1:1

Maybe they're a little bigger because they have to cater to a "one-size-fits-all" model... but they're not that far off. Here's a few shots from the movie and on display. You can't really see his forehead or neck (except towards the back of the helmet). I imagine marvel had access to the original props in order to make it reasonably close.

5613eb5d838ae1aaa01cce2842230b41.jpgb60260905c633e80e4fbaf5284021cd9--star-lord-mask-chris-pratt.jpgFO1WPITI0YGCO14.MEDIUM.jpg

Attachments

• 238034d49a35ffdde90837edbed1dd8c.jpg
    238034d49a35ffdde90837edbed1dd8c.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 174
I also just received the Marvel Legends series helmet. Overall it looks very close to the screen used version. There's only one major difference I noticed where the 3 braided tube greeblies on the side are intersected by the respirator tubing. (I circled the area in red on one of the photos for reference). I don't think that's the case with the actual prop. ...

Otherwise the only other differences seem to be paint job.

I would say that for trooping, where you don't want to have to be extra careful with your gear, the Hasbro (if it fits you) is a steal.

However, just about every single detail on it is off in one way or another from the actual prop. The shapes are all there and more or less in the right places, but start looking at the details (everything from the shape and angle of the breather tubes down to the fake screws) and you'll see that it's very off. This is to the real prop what the Kenner toy was to the studio model of the Millennium Falcon. It's not really surprising- Star Lord's mask is deceptively difficult to model accurately.

Again, that's not saying it's a bad product. Even if it isn't an accurate replica, it is a bargain for what it is.

Began surgery on my Hasbro Marvel Legends Starlord bucket.
1. Removed the chin strap and clipped off the strap holders.
2. Cleaned up the lenses. In the process of replacing the lenses, LEDs and line with blue lenses.
3. Removed back head strap. Adding more padding to the inside. I don't like the fact your face is planted against the rubber gasket inside which means zero air circulation.
4. Counter sinking some small earth magnets into the hinged piece right behind the ears. This will make it a little more difficult form popping off.
5. Repaint to match movie colors after all the internals are modded.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back