Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Long Beach, CA
    Feb 17, 2016, 6:40 PM - Disney Star Wars Launch Bay models #1

So I've read that all these models are replicas. And I didn't really get there until today. Really, the first and only other time I got there was a week or so ago with the kids, and all I could do was walk through really quickly (I know, I live 15 minutes away--what a bad sci-fi fan I am). Anyway, by myself today with time to look. The (regular) TIE is larger than I thought it would be, so is it the right size? And the Millennium Falcon looks half way between a 32-incher and a 5-footer as far as size goes. I feel positive about this, so if I'm wrong, I'll feel really stupid. Anyone know how big it is? And if it is indeed halfway between in size, how close are the details? I'm interested in where all those details came from if the overall size is too big or too small to use the original greeblies from a 32-inch or 5-foot model. Based on the answer, this post may not even belong here, so sorry if that's an issue.
  2. -... . .- --.. is offline -... . .- --..
    Feb 17, 2016, 7:08 PM - Re: Disney Star Wars Launch Bay models #2

There's already a thread in this forum for these models:

Star Wars Launch Bay Opens @ Disneyland
    From
    Cascade Mountains USA
    Dec 8, 2016, 6:55 PM - Re: Disney Star Wars Launch Bay models #3

I just saw a Rebel Blockade Runner (two of them, in fact) in the attack scene of the new Rogue One TV spot. The engine lights look very much like the ones in the model that's on display in the Star Wars Launch Bay at Disneyland. With the original studio miniature remaining in the possession of George Lucas, I wonder if the team at ILM had access to it for reference when creating the digital "stand in" for Rogue One. If not, could they have used the Disneyland model as reference?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RogueOneTVspot.png 
Views:	183 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	689243   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DisneylandBRengines.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	689242  
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Dec 9, 2016, 8:20 AM - Re: Disney Star Wars Launch Bay models #4

If you look closely the Ghost from Rebels is there as well.
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    Dec 9, 2016, 3:39 PM - Re: Disney Star Wars Launch Bay models #5

star-art said: View Post
    I just saw a Rebel Blockade Runner (two of them, in fact) in the attack scene of the new Rogue One TV spot. The engine lights look very much like the ones in the model that's on display in the Star Wars Launch Bay at Disneyland. With the original studio miniature remaining in the possession of George Lucas, I wonder if the team at ILM had access to it for reference when creating the digital "stand in" for Rogue One. If not, could they have used the Disneyland model as reference?
    The apprentice has become the master
    From
    Singapore
    Dec 9, 2016, 3:50 PM - Re: Disney Star Wars Launch Bay models #6

I know ILM still has access to the archives, plus they have a good archive themselves.

star-art said: View Post
    From
    Cascade Mountains USA
    Dec 9, 2016, 4:29 PM - Re: Disney Star Wars Launch Bay models #7

Perhaps. If the original model was still there, that would have been all they needed. On the other hand, if it was out on display somewhere, I'm not sure the archive would have been that helpful. They don't seem to have good, clear photo documentation on what it looked like during ANH prior to the changes that were done for Jedi. I say this because when the model was later "restored" to its original configuration, some of "restored" details ended up being scratch-built "stand ins" for the original parts. This tells me they either didn't have sufficient reference in their archive to figure out what was there originally, or they just had no idea what those parts were.
    From
    Singapore
    Dec 9, 2016, 4:46 PM - Re: Disney Star Wars Launch Bay models #8

We'll see how it looks in R1 soon :-)
  9. Choosy moms choose Jif™ RPF Premium Member moffeaton's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Dec 9, 2016, 5:13 PM - Re: Disney Star Wars Launch Bay models #9

I bet it's unique as it's a digital asset now
    From
    Chicago, IL
    Dec 15, 2016, 12:27 PM - Re: Disney Star Wars Launch Bay models #10

Where?!

SofaKing01 said: View Post
    If you look closely the Ghost from Rebels is there as well.
    From
    Toronto, Canada
    Dec 15, 2016, 1:50 PM - Re: Disney Star Wars Launch Bay models #11

Underneath the Corvette/Tantive IV-type ship (I believe).
  12. Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Dec 15, 2016, 4:43 PM - Re: Disney Star Wars Launch Bay models #12

It's also in the upper left corner of one of the high, wide shots of the tarmac area outside the Massassi Temple scene. Cropped, but there.

Gene