The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

Apparently, after looking at a Witcher wiki page, Yen is actually a really old hunchbacked woman who makes herself look beautiful. So I guess if Geralt can get past that he can overlook an open relationship. :lol Then you have to wonder, does she feel like a younger woman? I really hope so.

So the real answer is Triss :lol. I'm more partial to redheads anyways:love

Well, since this is a video game thread about anything and everything, I'd thought I'd bring this up here. Anyone here on the forums streamers? I recently built my own gaming rig during Christmas break and it runs current games like a dream. Reason why I ask is because I'm thinking about streaming the games I play. Not to become a popular internet celebrity or anything like that, but like a place for folks here to hang out and chat. Thoughts or ideas?

AbbyDarkStar does streaming I think. The only one I've ever watched was XFactorGaming (pro gamer) for Battlefield 3 & 4 because he would give out tips and things you might not know about the game. In BF3 I saw him once in game and as soon as I thought "Hey it's..." he killed me. He's got superhuman reflexes or something. I'd consider myself pretty good at FPS MP, but he's quick.

* Strong language at times.

This guy sums up video games makers up pretty damn well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeyl, There's a couple people I watch stream with some regularity. Mostly depends on what you're playing, but I'd check it out.

This probably belongs in the "inconsequential"thread, but I'm playing on a traveling Gaem monitor case combo. Its a 15" screen which is great but man, Ican't read the subtitles without moving closer. I need to go buy a regular tv, I think....maybe this really should go to the "grumpy old men:lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a shot in the dark, but if anyone wishes to join in, here's my channel.

https://www.twitch.tv/lordjeyl

I'm going to be doing an achievement run on BioHazard 7 that involves taking only 3 heals in total, getting the bad ending, attaching a bomb to an enemy and Pelicans in your pocket. Come on by and let me know how it goes!

Apologies for my voice. I don't know how anyone could tolerate it.

I watched a RE 7 playthru last night and it feels more like the old games but that ending has me wanting to see what RE8 is going to be like. Also Bethesda put Fallout Shelter on the xbox one for free so if you don't have it on a phone or tablet it's worth a download at 2gb. I'm betting it's on ps4 too.

I watched a RE 7 playthru last night and it feels more like the old games but that ending has me wanting to see what RE8 is going to be like. Also Bethesda put Fallout Shelter on the xbox one for free so if you don't have it on a phone or tablet it's worth a download at 2gb. I'm betting it's on ps4 too.
Good to know. I loved the first couple of games

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I have been debating on whether or not to pick this up. That makes me feel better about it. I still want to play Ghost Recon: Wildlands more though.

That was a decent run. Got the four achievements out of the way which leaves me two more for the game. The combining chemical mixtures and collecting all the coins on madhouse difficulty. I'm thinking of mixing things up a bit by playing the game in Japanese with English subtitles.

Just got surprised by my folks with the handheld version of the Atari flashback system, it has 90 games on it but an SD slot like the sega one for more games and this one has an adapter to hook it to the tv. As usual for the handhelds by Atgames the speaker shuts.

That was a decent run. Got the four achievements out of the way which leaves me two more for the game. The combining chemical mixtures and collecting all the coins on madhouse difficulty. I'm thinking of mixing things up a bit by playing the game in Japanese with English subtitles.

Good God man, I haven't even bought it yet and you're about to start what...3rd play through for the last 2 achievements/trophies :lol. Mucho props!

Witcher 3, even when you've doubled your weight carrying capability....you still become overburdened. SMH.

Last edited:
Good God man, I haven't even bought it yet and you're about to start what...3rd play through for the last 2 achievements/trophies :lol. Mucho props!

6th play through actually. I missed some coins on my first attempt at madhouse by being over reliant on the X-Ray shades. But here she is!

pelicans_zps9ercmdor.png

I think you're catching up to Ray/Brownman on twitch when it comes to fast mastering of a game lol. I got sick of mad max so i'm taking a break, I think i'll start Rise of Tomb Raider. I want to get the fast to finish games out of the way as the RPGs are the ones that take forever. Though there are at least 2 more DLC for RE7 so you're not done yet lol.

I can't stand achievements. You get them for loading the game. I would actually play a game that removes achievements for doing things.

I do agree that some achievements are complete hogwash. When you're playing a game that's deep into story telling and your getting achievements for getting to one part of a story that you could have gotten to by holding one button, it does break the immersion factor by a lot. Knowing this however, some developers have used that to their advantage. Portal 2 for example used a 'story progression' achievement to further sell a joke.

GlaDOS: Well, this is the part where he kills us.
Wheatly: Hello. This is the part where I kill you.
Chapter 9: The Part where he kills you.
Achievement Unlocked: The Part where he kills you.

Now that I thought was funny, not to mention a 'once in a lifetime moment' since you can't get that achievements again' at least on your own account.

And achievements can work. Heck, some games reward achievements like in World of Warcraft. I cannot tell you how I used the achievement system to persuade my friends to get back into the game so we could accomplish these achievements together. Conquer all the criteria for the Wrath of the Lich King expansion and get drake mounts? Sign us up! Those mounts were ours!

Also, some achievements just dare you to do them. I'll never forget my initial reaction when I learned about the 'gnome' achievement in Half Life 2: Episode Two. That's preposterous! The physics don't work like that. There's no where to store it in the car! But I tried it. Oh, god I tried it. It took ALL DAY. Like, really. I was on that game early in the morning all the way to night trying to get that blasted gnome from one side of the Earth to another just so a toothless head crab could have some company on it's way to blowing up a portal. But wow. Did I feel good after accomplishing that feat.

And some of the achievements in RE7 I thought were very interesting. The "Item Managing" achievement I think was the most difficult because you're only allowed to use the item box three times throughout an entire play through of the game. Having beaten the game three times at that point, I knew exactly what this meant. For those who don't know, there are item boxes scattered across the game where you can store items you've picked up for later use. It's helpful because the game only gives you a limited amount of space to store items on your character and you will eventually come across an essential item that you cannot pick up because your inventory is full. Thing is, there are exactly three points in RE7 that require you to use the item box and the one that allows you to unload everything Rambo style happens during the last 10 minutes of the game. So yeah, that was an interesting challenge because it's the only achievement that prohibits you from using all of your unlocked abilities (Better blocking, unlimited ammo, a powerful gun) since they're all stored in the item box at the start of the game.

Here's a hint if you want to do the medical achievement (Don't use more the three medical aids). Use steroids to heal. They not only permanently increase your health, they also fully heal you without counting as a healing aid in the achievement. I literally used zero medical aids on that run because I saved up the steroids.

The stupid thing was back when achievements first started you'd only get them for doing something like being a game on insanity or something worth bragging about but now Microsoft won't let your game onto their system unless there is a certain amount of achievements loaded into it. Which is why you get them for basically just playing the game, some companies put a lot of effort into it and others don't. Personally I think you should get one for beating the game on higher difficulties or doing some insane challenges like beating hidden bosses but companies shouldn't be forced to put them into a game just to get it published.

One of the things I hate about achievments is that for some, the total number includes DLC, whether yiu have it or not.

Also...I just don't have the time or patience for 2-3+ playthroughs.

The only - 100% achievement games I have are Assassin's Creed 2 and Far Cry 3. Far Cry I got them all on my 1st playthrough. AC2, I only missed the kicking a guy off a building with Davinci's flying machine, so I played through to get that one.

Arkham Asylum, i have like 7 left and I've got less than 10 on all Mass Effect games each. Ths ones are left are mainly multiple playthrough required.

The stupid thing was back when achievements first started you'd only get them for doing something like being a game on insanity or something worth bragging about but now Microsoft won't let your game onto their system unless there is a certain amount of achievements loaded into it. Which is why you get them for basically just playing the game, some companies put a lot of effort into it and others don't. Personally I think you should get one for beating the game on higher difficulties or doing some insane challenges like beating hidden bosses but companies shouldn't be forced to put them into a game just to get it published.
As with trophys on Playstation, I do find it fun to try and get as many, if not all that I can, but yeah, some are either just too insane, or stupid easy to get. Sometimes you have to do SO much and only get a bronze, and then easy for a gold. In Sonic 3 re-release, play as Tails and get 100 rings in the first level and get a gold. Laziness right there on the developers part.

I also hate when you can't most of them from a single playthru, JRPGs are getting like that were it literally will take 3 or 4 playthrus to get them all. Even being able to carry over your items and everything into the new game it's a hassle. That's for the truly dedicated fans lol.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back