Blade Runner 2049

You're walking alone in the desert, when you come across a tortoise on its back, belly baking in the sun...

First thing I thought of. It's looking great and sounding great. Need to get a better look of the new Blade Runner trenchcoat and am still hoping Deckard has his original.

Buzz Killington inbound, warning, for grumpy old nerds only....

1. Yeah I'm broken record I know...The first film was noir. In other words we shouldn't learn what happened afterwards to Deckard and Rachael.
2. Do they identify Deckard as a replicant? are they finally going to push that as canon? If so they can go to hell by me.
3. Obviously we have a young "Blade Runner" again... WHY REPLICANTS AGAIN? Is there not a whole PKD style universe to explore with new concepts?
4. What is possibly left to tell? All that can really be told is some kind of emancipation story for replicants? The first film established they were slaves.
5. The first movie BOMBED! it bombed because it's content was not for everyone, definately not for the masses. What is their goal here? Who is their audience?
6. What are they going to do with potraying retro tech to millenials that have never even seen Blade Runner? Have CRTs again?

Honestly I don't know what to think ok? The film is the Sci Fi Citizen Kane!
And of course PKDs original story was still a guiding force.
What is this based on?

Ford returning to these old classic roles is getting tedious. What next John Book?
"Witness 2 Amish Unleashed"?

I am not always easily won over by the usual nerd buttons easily pressed.
Talk me into being excited for this. :lol

I'm looking forward to this, but I think Cessna raises some valid questions.. If Deckard is a replicant shouldn't he have died by now?

I'm curious what the tone will be.. I imagine a big part of why the first did so poorly was because Deckard is not really a likable hero character. I feel like that sort of character wouldn't be received very well today.

That said.. I have faith that Villeneuve will give us a thoughtful well made movie. Sicario definitely had a lot of similarities in terms of characters and tone. Plus given that and Arrival, it doesn't seem like he's out to please the masses and blow up the box office.

As I mentioned on the previous page, the ambiguity about Deckard being a human/replicant will not be spoiled. I recommend reading that linked interview.

Looking forward to this!
Outdoor shots in the teaser look great and seem to capture the tone of the original, But the indoor shots seem to be too bright/clean?

Last edited:
So, anyone able to tell if its a commercially available model?

View attachment 691419
Yes and no.

The information you seek can be found at the propsummit forum.

I just have to warn you that getting this prop can be a hazardous journey.

This one is mine.

B92F3DB6-69FF-4404-8B1B-017B3904482B_zpsmqugnje7.jpg

Last edited:
Oh I'm quite aware, was mostly asking if anyone could identify it as a particular maker, or if it looked like it was built the real way. Sounds like they did it right.
The original hero was cobbled from a Charter Arms bulldog frame and a Styer Mannlicher SL receiver. Add a generous sprinkling of greeblie-dust and voila.

Doesn't matter how many years it has been. As mentioned in that interview article there are ways to negate the 4 year life span of a replicant for story purposes and the possible reasons don't sound far fetched in any way.

*folds arms, sits back, and waits for someone to talk their way out of that corner*

As an avid hater of the idea that Deckard is a replicant, I will still back up that I don't think the 4 year life span applies....

Deckard and Rachel were special cases... Rachel was the newest model and took the longest to fail the Voight-Kanpff test... IF Deckard too is a replicant, then we can assume he is a special case like Rachel... I mean he's a replicant created and given memories to kill replicants... let's give him a longer life span.

And clearly Tyrell wasn't worried about breaking rules. In the cut scenes Deckard finds out that Tyrell's real body is frozen and the Tyrell that was killed by Roy was a replicant as well.

"More Human than Human" at what point does the Tyrell Corporation say that a 4 year life span isn't very human.... and start breaking rules.

As an avid hater of the idea that Deckard is a replicant, I will still back up that I don't think the 4 year life span applies....

Deckard and Rachel were special cases... Rachel was the newest model and took the longest to fail the Voight-Kanpff test... IF Deckard too is a replicant, then we can assume he is a special case like Rachel... I mean he's a replicant created and given memories to kill replicants... let's give him a longer life span.

And clearly Tyrell wasn't worried about breaking rules. In the cut scenes Deckard finds out that Tyrell's real body is frozen and the Tyrell that was killed by Roy was a replicant as well.

"More Human than Human" at what point does the Tyrell Corporation say that a 4 year life span isn't very human.... and start breaking rules.

It certainly isn't very cost effective!

Well,
I will need two things for this to work for me as long as they don't double down on stupid with Deckard as replicant.

A massively compelling reason WHY to portray Deckard again alive and old. Not just some damn cameo of hey new kid, let me show you some old tricks crap. It's got to be critical to the narrative and necessary for a big payoff.
And same for WHY to go down the replicant road again, if that is indeed what this film's story will still be revolving around.
How can they even touch on what they accomplished in 1982 on the subject???? It's beyond elegant!
Perhaps it's just a segue way into something else?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back