Battle starship

Katsu-san!!!! Amazing as always!! Glad you're building again, but come on man... Aluminum??? just when I get a grasp on your work, you kick it up a bunch of levels and blow my mind. Well done!! I'm going to enjoy watching this beauty come to life.

Katsu-san!!!! Amazing as always!! Glad you're building again, but come on man... Aluminum??? just when I get a grasp on your work, you kick it up a bunch of levels and blow my mind. Well done!! I'm going to enjoy watching this beauty come to life.

Thank you very much, Teddz-san.
So far, I am still wrestling with those aluminum sheets but I am learning a lot.
When I get used to handle them, I would put up some tips on this thread.
It has many possibility and seems clearly has an advantage for model building than sheet plastic.

Sir, your model making skill are really an inspiration, from the thought process to the finished product, just incredible!

Thank you, mcusanelli-san.
Here are some progress.
I am making many fittings simultaneously.
P_20160710_112421_zpsuvblrfwg.jpg

P_20160710_113136_zpsh4wue1cr.jpg

P_20160710_113146_zpslvlzbqjr.jpg

Recently I bought a stack of cardboard for the test fitting.
I use this to have a pattern before I cut up the aluminum.

P_20160711_112221_zpsy4r3wbm7.jpg

P_20160711_112138_zps5wtunpsh.jpg

P_20160711_112158_zpsmyq9ycoh.jpg

Thanks for looking.
katsu

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know what more to say than the usual Woooow, Katsu-san. Looks very nice.
How do you glue the aluminum parts to the rest of the ship?
Keep up the good work. Looks so clean. I love it.
Jim

I LOVE the way you cut the notches out of the strip to make the curved platform, then used the same cuts to act as bracing for the platform. That is a beautifully elegant design.

Don't know what more to say than the usual Woooow, Katsu-san. Looks very nice.
How do you glue the aluminum parts to the rest of the ship?
Keep up the good work. Looks so clean. I love it.
Jim

Thank you Jim-san,
So far, Im using Locktight super glue and aluminum adhesive tape.

I LOVE the way you cut the notches out of the strip to make the curved platform, then used the same cuts to act as bracing for the platform. That is a beautifully elegant design.

Thank you, Tom-san.

When you scratch a line with any knife or something with a sharp edge on a sheet plastic and bend it, it will be cut out soon. But the aluminum sheet won't be cut so soon. Instead, it's bent with a sharp angle along the line.That's the good point of aluminum. And you don't even have to scratch if you want to have it a mild edge. Just put it on a ruler or blunt edge and bend it.
It's very controllable. Also, also! If you carve a shallow circle hole on a wooden plate and place the aluminum sheet on it and press with wooden stick with a blunt end, You can make a parabolic dome without using a heat.

What is the thickness of your aluminum sheets?

--Alex

I'm using 300mm x 20mm 0.3mm thick sheet aluminum so far.
0.3mm is the ideal thickness for the model building like this. ( Beer can is 0.15 - 0.2mm)
You don't need particular tool for cut and shape.
Also, I've ordered 0.5mm sheet for the outer skin.

Those custom bikers seem to use more thicker sheet for those original fuel tanks.

http://www.cycleworld.com/how-to-hand-build-motorcycle-bodywork-skills-and-techniques#page-3

katsu

Hey, looks like another awesome build, dude. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out.
Getting back to the battle in space discussion have you, or anyone read The Expanse novels - James S A Corey. The weapons are in the guided torpedo and rail gun realm and the in-flight controls and maneuvering of ships reads as pretty realistic. Interested to hear any thoughts.

Hey, looks like another awesome build, dude. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out.
Getting back to the battle in space discussion have you, or anyone read The Expanse novels - James S A Corey. The weapons are in the guided torpedo and rail gun realm and the in-flight controls and maneuvering of ships reads as pretty realistic. Interested to hear any thoughts.

Hi, thanks for dropping buy and the info about the interesting book.
I guess I can find it in amazon kindle.
Thank you very much!!!

katsu

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back