Lifesize Maz Kanata

streetjudge79

Master Member
I rarely get the chance to paint something Non human. I recently had the opportunity to pick up this incredible sculpt of Maz from a friend of mine for my own collection. He did a very limited run of these and I was lucky to get # 2. I did all the paint and finishing work to her. She's finished except for the beanie hat which is currently in production. Other than that, she's all done. She features acrylic eyes and moving goggles. I absolutely love this character.

Here is the real deal,

Here is mine

Last edited:
The sculpt work is amazingly detailed and kudos to the artisan but the colour looks off (a bit like the chap in the picture below) and the hair looks like frayed carpet .. IMO

Tango_man_968484a.jpg

Well Asterisktek, I guess you haven't seen the movie then. The skin color looks pretty spot on to me. If you don't have anything kind to say, how bout you keep it to yourself. Let's see you do better? Gotta love the armchair troll !

Last edited:
Wow, to me she looks absolutely aMAZing :)
As she's my favourite TFA character I'm glad someone made her life-sized. Great job :D

I am not trying to be a "dick" and you so politely put it and yes, I've seen the movie a number of times. I was merely passing on critique which as an artist, you need to get used to accepting be it good or bad. The paint that you have used is the wrong shade in my opinion and flat, which is nothing like the properties of real skin (and on model in the movie). There are no different coloured undertones as is also shown in the screen capture, I've done enough painting before to understand that it's a very time consuming process and something that needs to be done layer by layer in order to achieve the perfect result.

Can we at least be civil and can I ask who the model maker is as it's truly awesome.

If you can't take negative feedback perhaps you shouldn't post things and then get upset if someone has an opinion that differs from your own.

View attachment 631563

Yes, I very good friend of mine, Lee Hurley, did that. Very talented artist. I haven't seen the finished bust yet... so, thanks for sharing. I was going to ask him if he was pulling molds or not.

I have to agree with Asterisktec , he was just giving some constructive criticism, don't know why you flew off the handle so fast and started with the "armchair troll" jab, not cool. I think it's looking great but to take it to the next level it the skin could use a bit more gloss. I think the skin color is pretty damn close but agree there could be a little more depth. All in all looking very good. In your next post you could specify, "no negative comments or constructive criticism please, just praise for my immense talent". Hope I'm not being a troll now... :facepalm

Last edited by a moderator:
Please, don't give me that horsecrap. You just came in, bashed my work and left for no apparent reason. Moving on. That was hardly constructive criticism. Not even close. I don't need your critique if that's what you call it. If you can't be a polite human being , maybe you should not post on peoples show off threads.

I am not trying to be a "dick" and you so politely put it and yes, I've seen the movie a number of times. I was merely passing on critique which as an artist, you need to get used to accepting be it good or bad. The paint that you have used is the wrong shade in my opinion and flat, which is nothing like the properties of real skin (and on model in the movie). There are no different coloured undertones as is also shown in the screen capture, I've done enough painting before to understand that it's a very time consuming process and something that needs to be done layer by layer in order to achieve the perfect result.

Can we at least be civil and can I ask who the model maker is as it's truly awesome.

If you can't take negative feedback perhaps you shouldn't post things and then get upset if someone has an opinion that differs from your own.

View attachment 631563

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody flew off the handle. That was not constructive criticism he gave. That was a pure outright insult for no reason. I have been a member here forever, I know a troll comment when I see one. Your critique was polite and constructive unlike Asterisktec, well up until the smart alec last sentence.

I have to agree with @Asterisktec , he was just giving some constructive criticism, don't know why you flew off the handle so fast and started with the "armchair troll" jab, not cool. I think it's looking great but to take it to the next level it the skin could use a bit more gloss. I think the skin color is pretty damn close but agree there could be a little more depth. All in all looking very good. In your next post you could specify, "no negative comments or constructive criticism please, just praise for my immense talent". Hope I'm not being a troll now... :facepalm

Last edited:
Looks excellent. Color looks spot on. Asterisktec possibly has a very badly calibrated monitor with the contrast and saturation way up.

Beautiful piece, Lee has mad ****ing skills. Paint is great.

Lucky devil, we should all be so lucky to own one.

I honestly don't get why ppl need to bash other ppls hard work. I've had Steve paint for me for years and his work is absolutely amazing. That Maz is awesome. I love it. Kudos Steve, keep up the great work. Don't let negativity get to ya.

Reel

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back