Blade Runner 2049

Me too! Its been a very disappointing year so far for films and I had in all honesty believed we would get a good film but not a great one. I'm just hoping this is not all hyperbole, but that "Blackout" anime really did pick up my hopes!

ErikDavis: BLADE RUNNER 2049 is this year's MAD MAX: FURY ROAD, in terms of it going all-in on its world in a way that's beautiful & tragic & awesome

ErikDavis It's not your typical blockbuster-it's not afraid to go deeper; to be philosophical and be sexy. It's not afraid to linger a little too long

mattsinger: BR is a sci fi movie that looks like a detective story. 2049 is a detective story that looks like a sci-fi movie.

kphipps3000: All I ask of BLADE RUNNER 2049 is that it answer the original's most haunting unanswered question: Does he like their owl?

There are a few reviews up already, the embargo is lifted. And there are a load of five stars amongst them. Be warned though there are spoilers so if you want to go in clear of them then now is the time to leave the thread.
Overall, its both the story and the VFXs work that seems to have moved the concept up another level whilst making it feel like a direct and proper sequel. "Think Alien to Aliens" is the best comment I've read so far ( long periods of build up, short brutal bursts of violence and action) .....

Good grief, its scoring incredibly high. I am amazed by the shear amount of positive feedback!

And Harrison pulls in one of the best performances of his life!!!!

Last edited:
I can't wait.

giphy.gif

Yes, in particular the Village Voice review has major spoilers if those don't bother you.

https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/0...but-does-it-have-that-old-blade-runner-magic/

They don't bother me because in this case I need to protect myself. Thanks for posting this, it contained certain details I had to know, needed to know.
It might be God's gift to some or even all, but it's clear it wont be to me apparantly, they are indeed going many directions I simply do not care for no
matter how beautifully shot this film is said to be or rave reviews are.

Not a spoiler below.
Exactly what I've been saying that applies for me all along and this reviewer is on my same harmonic resonance.

."Part of the magic of Blade Runner was what was missing: It was like an earworm, insinuating itself into your brain thanks in part to the fact that it felt strangely incomplete. You wanted to see it again because you needed to see it again; its mysteries began when the end credits rolled."

I can't watch this film to protect my love for the original in full.

Adam Savage gave his spoiler-free review (because he signed an NDA) a couple days ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't bother me because in this case I need to protect myself. Thanks for posting this, it contained certain details I had to know, needed to know.
It might be God's gift to some or even all, but it's clear it wont be to me apparantly, they are indeed going many directions I simply do not care for no
matter how beautifully shot this film is said to be or rave reviews are.

Not a spoiler below.
Exactly what I've been saying that applies for me all along and this reviewer is on my same harmonic resonance.

."Part of the magic of Blade Runner was what was missing: It was like an earworm, insinuating itself into your brain thanks in part to the fact that it felt strangely incomplete. You wanted to see it again because you needed to see it again; its mysteries began when the end credits rolled."

I can't watch this film to protect my love for the original in full.

And for me these spoilers alleviate some of my concerns about the film won't be present so I am more excited.

Surprisingly good reviews so far. I really did not want to be spoiled and clicked on a few. Unfortunately I now know the entire plot. Oh well. Still looking forward to seeing this.

Are they shooting practical miniatures?!?!
Yeah, I thought I saw somewhere recently that Weta Workshop did the cityscape miniatures.
Yes, some practical miniatures(Bigatures as far as WETA is concerned;)) and combining CGI effects also. It looks very good and interesting for sure!!

Bit late to the party here, but can confirm these are all Weta bigatures, shot practically with background extensions and CGI overlays (spinners and such).

links to weta shots in bts
https://youtu.be/vbTP57MSqLo?t=149
https://youtu.be/vbTP57MSqLo?t=152
https://youtu.be/vbTP57MSqLo?t=170

So excited to see how the LAPD shots, among the others, come out on the big screen at our crew screening tomorrow night.

Kudos to the director and you all for doing a lot of it "old style" (as if I wasn't excited enough already!).
I watched "The Final Directors Cut" last night and "Dangerous days: Making BR" just to get into the mood. There looks to be a few concepts in the original first BR drafts that were dropped then that may have found their way back into "2049" now. Even dug out my old Cinefex and the Official Collectors Edition Souvenir Magazine to get really nostalgic!!! (not to mention the Vangelis soundtrack playing endlessly, bet I'm not the only one). Ah the memories, all those tears in the rain.
Really,really hoping you end up being as blown away by your work on the screen as we hope to be.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back