Rogue One Vader costume

I think Charlie Rose was kind of aggressive in the interview, and it put George on his heels. I think he was trying to say that he railed against the studios his entire career, but ended up selling his legacy to the studio of studios. I think it was meant to be self deprecating more than an intentional slight to Disney Corp.

I don't know if "white slavers" was really an intentional jab at Disney or not. Maybe he said it out of despair - and it just it came out wrong. But $4B is nothing to laugh at. Maybe he felt shorted. The adjusted box office performance of Episodes 1-6 come to about $4.5B (source: http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/Star-Wars#tab=summary).

Rather, I think it's the demonization by and hatred from fans that got him down to where abandoning his own franchise would finally give him a sense of peace. I think that despite Episodes 1-3 and manipulating Greedo to shoot first, the fan base's reaction could have been nicer.

Last edited:
Actually Lucas only gave a very barebones few page "treatment" for the sequel trilogy. In which some ideas would be incorporated into the new films, which they can't say due to spoilers until the new trilogy is finished. Lucas was the one who went to Ford, Fisher, & Hamill about coming back to do the next trilogy circa 2011.

One of things I wondered before seeing TFA is, would they keep the repeated themes and motifs for the new trilogy. I'm glad to see they did so far. Depsite others complaining, remember the film still got 90 some percent good reviews overall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rather, I think it's the demonization by and hatred from fans that got him down to where abandoning his own franchise would finally give him a sense of peace. I think that despite Episodes 1-3 and manipulating Greedo to shoot first, the fan base's reaction could have been nicer.
Star Wars fans are strange ones indeed and loads of them are way over the top with obsession, agreed. Then again read up on virtually any topic online and you'll quickly see hyperboles and extreme statements (ruined my childhood, worst in the world, etc crap).
The problem where I think Lucas deserves the bad wrap is that he doesn't understand his own creations (including Indy) but wants to maintain that he is the one and true owner and creator. I don't mope around on the prequels any more, they don't spoil the originals for me because I just block them out but I think they are dreadful bad movies, and as such are open for criticism and if he takes credit for creating all this then he has to take all the blame too. He did say in an interview that "you make something and all you get is criticism". The thing about criticism is that sometimes it's worth listening to it. I even respect him to a degree for doing whatever he wants. Rogue One certainly felt like it was made to appeal to the aforementioned fanbase, and I'm not too big on fan service but as Plinkett said showing contempt for your audience is not gonna help you either. Or if you do then don't victimize yourself if the reactions are not in your favour.

George Lucas gave a huge F U to the fans when he decided his special editions were going to replace the original films forever. He could have been someone the fans rallied behind, but he chose not to. Because of his ego.

People forget, that (white slavers) interview was aired after TFA was released. But it was done in October or early Nov before Lucas had seen any of the film. (Besides trailers, if that) Then people played up like he was attacking TFA which was not the case.

I don't know if "white slavers" was really an intentional jab at Disney or not. Maybe he said it out of despair - and it just it came out wrong. But $4B is nothing to laugh at. Maybe he felt shorted. The adjusted box office performance of Episodes 1-6 come to about $4.5B (source: http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/Star-Wars#tab=summary).

People forget, that (white slavers) interview was aired after TFA was released. But it was done in October or early Nov before Lucas had seen any of the film. (Besides trailers, if that) Then people played up like he was attacking TFA which was not the case.

idk... he made some negative comments towards the trailers as well. heck when the trailer even aired he didnt even watch it. it was weeks, heck or even over a month before he saw it. and he said he saw it in the theater with his children when they went to see a movie. by the interviews, he didnt seem interested in seeing the trailer at all

im digging on youtube but can't seem to find the actual video. i believe it was on TMZ, lucas was getting out of a car and walking up on the curb when TMZ interviewed him. this video below describes the exact video I'm talking about. check out the last comment he makes

i for one dont want this to look like I'm bashing lucas. I'm a huge fan of him. but this subject was recently brought up in another thread i was involved in and I've made the say comments there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnyHLldm1Xc

I'm pretty sure Lucas said some good things about Rogue One. Maybe he was still a little bitter about his outline being ignored for the sequel trilogy. Sometimes it takes time to adjust like when you break up with someone.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Why is there so much secrets behind Rogue One's Darth Vader ...?

At SW Celebration 2016, we got to see the archeology panel where they showed us the new Stormtrooper helmets, X-Wing etc...
But the only thing we got back was a (very very) small featurette (1'19 long) which only showed 4 unseen footage of Vader, that was all ... This is on YouTube, but even the bluray ("exclusive bonus") had the same footage, nothing more, nothing less.
Link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tLcUliwlE4

Back in 2004, even before ROTS came out, the 2004 release of the OT had a great bonus footage about the upcoming Darth Vader's costume in ROTS.
Link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq_2nK5KUAo&list=PL86x_mGDIeKVAGDRKLFxXbzsRa5UDHkRp&index=6

Then we got even deeper in the costume itself then the whole character. How they realized their symmetrical Vader helmet, the costume, the reference material they had.
Link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpEJSEnmCFs&list=PL86x_mGDIeKVAGDRKLFxXbzsRa5UDHkRp&index=5
Even Master Replica sold the ROTS helmet.

Anovos released the Shoretrooper, the deathtrooper, the tanker trooper, the AT-ACT pilot, and General Merrick 's helmets. We have/had pictures of all of that.
WHY is there nothing about Darth Vader? No behind the scenes pictures, no making of footage...
We only have "promo shots" and screen captures...

Disney, i find your lack of Darth Vader's making of disturbing

Good questions. I would be more interested in an Anovos version of the R1 Vader helmet than the current one they have. I prefer the ANH design.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Apologies if what I'm asking has already been covered (or if I'm asking a "noob" question) but as I understand it, Vader's helmet had red eyes in the original trilogy, so why do they look so much more prominent in Rogue One?

All I noticed throughout Vader's scenes is the red eyes - they stick out like a pair of sore thumbs - yet in the OT they are barely noticeable (at least not to me anyway.)

Apologies if what I'm asking has already been covered (or if I'm asking a "noob" question) but as I understand it, Vader's helmet had red eyes in the original trilogy, so why do they look so much more prominent in Rogue One?

All I noticed throughout Vader's scenes is the red eyes - they stick out like a pair of sore thumbs - yet in the OT they are barely noticeable (at least not to me anyway.)

He only had red lenses in A New Hope. In ESB and ROTJ, they were black.
They are probably more noticeable now just because how the scenes are lit and the cameras used.

He only had red lenses in A New Hope. In ESB and ROTJ, they were black.
They are probably more noticeable now just because how the scenes are lit and the cameras used.

I did not notice that - I guess I just assumed they were red all the way through the OT.

Thank you, you've taught me 2 new things today! :)

In ANH they were smoke tinted, but not very thick or opaque, so the reddish color you see behind the lenses in ANH is more due to the flesh tones of David Prowse showing through.
It's become an myth that the lenses were 'red' which is absolutely not the case.

In ESB and ROTJ, they were more of a light golden brown-ish.

For all three versions, they were way less opaque than you would think.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back